Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

I guess it was a 6.6 centered somewhere north of LA, west of Las Vegas.

That is just Divine punishment for not attending TrumpDay in DC.

In the Midwest I have felt 1 earthquake in 30 years. I’m so jealous!

Everyone is okay? @ChristienMurawski?

We’re all fine here now. Thank you for asking. Honey was freaking out a little bit, basically saying, “Really?!? Today of all days?” The Fourth is not her favorite.

I was sitting in my desk chair and it suddenly started to rock from side to side. Imagine the feeling of being in a boat on mild seas. It wasn’t shaking, but just rolling. And I was confused at first. Until it dawned on me what was happening. It woke up Honey, who huddled near me. As usual, it felt like it lasted longer than it did, and in the middle of it, you wonder a little bit, “Will this stop?” It’s a dumb thing to wonder, but the brain is strange. Mine is anyway.

Honey is fine now. I just got back home and she is all tail waggy. This will not be the case later tonight.

-xtien

So I saw a seismologist saying that there will very likely be another, maybe larger, quake in the next day or so. Be safe people.

I watched this twice, counting how many I recognized, but I lost count both times before the end.

Thursday is field trip day at the summer literacy program, and today’s trip was to a local roller skating rink. Most of these kids have never seen roller skating much less been on skates, so it was a couple of hours of intense learning experience.

I don’t remember having those little wheeled plastic support doodads 30 years ago when I learned! The smaller kids loved them, though.

That’s awesome! Roller rinks are as kickass today as they were when I was 10.

You’re doing good things @ineffablebob. How has the long term healing been on your foot?

Very well, thanks for asking! Recovery after the surgery wasn’t all that fun, but it’s over now, and I’m back to running medium distances (2-5 miles) with no trouble. Longer would be fine, I’m sure, if I was less lazy. :) The only real issue I’ve found is that my foot is slightly wider than it was, so I had to get some new running shoes as the old ones are now too tight. Next week I’m taking my first flight since the surgery, so I get to see if the pin in my foot sets off the metal detectors.

They’re pretty awesome, and you can usually get a kid from not-skating to doing ok in less than an hour with one. That said, 50 of those things on a rink with 300 skaters can be a real obstacle course.

Also, roller skating is one of the few skills I retained from my teenage years. I was pleasantly surprised, the first time I went to a school function with my kids, to be a better skater than all of the kids and about 95% of the adults.

I have a rod in my leg and plates in my head and it’s never been a problem. Yours is probably titanium, so non-ferrous. I can even get an MRI with no issue.

We have none left here. We do have one indoor ice-skating rink though.

It looks like they are having fun in that pic though.

Most everyone had a great time, once they got over that initial fear of falling. Some of the kids in my high school age class even asked when the place was open and how much it cost, so they could go back. Our organizer had the foresight to get some coupons from the rink so we could hand those out to those interested.

As for me, I was just happy my over-40 self remembered enough from 30 years ago to stay upright! Which is harder than you might think with any number of youngsters looking for someone stable to grab onto. :-)

Kinda depends on the size of the rod.

But seriously, your post is interesting, in that my gf has a couple of long rods in her leg due to a bad break (after a previous boyfriend pushed her down some metal steps outside her apartment and her leg went between the steps where there was no back-stop, her forward momentum kept the rest of her body falling while her leg was stuck, she heard an actual loud “snap”, and her leg was then dangling unnaturally when she finally got it free). And she’s often wondered how it would affect her at an airport if we ever needed to fly anywhere.

I suppose I’ll finish that story:

While I knew her at the time, I was called to the hospital, where her boyfriend was just leaving to go home. She was in a lot of pain, but insisted that she was just clumsy and fell. I’m ashamed that I believed her, even though it was obvious from his direct questioning that the ER doctor had severe doubts about how it all went down because of the way she had answered a few of his questions, and the physics of it didn’t work unless she had been pushed on her upper back (or something like that - it’s been years now).

I only recently found out what really happened when she broke down and told me the reason she kept quiet was because during the ambulance ride, the boyfriend threatened to strangle her cat if she ever told anyone. And she believed that he would.

Nice guy. No really. I’d met him a couple of times, and he really did seem nice. But a few years later he wound up doing some jail time for assaulting his next girlfriend. No idea where he is now, but my gf still worries that he’ll show up one day, even though we think he moved a hundred or so miles away.

Thanks to her experiences with this guy, I’ve learned far more than I ever wanted to about abusive relationships and how complex they can be.

Sorry I unloaded here, but me finding out about all this has been a relatively recent thing, and it’s been on my mind a lot lately.

Holy christ, that is horrible. Sorry she and you have to deal with that.

That is fucked up on so many levels. Horrible story, wish I knew what to say to help you to help her deal with the trauma.

Dear Lord, that’s quite the experience, for her and for you.