Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

Thanks guys. We’ll be okay.
I mean, the actual incident happened back in 2004, so the physical trauma is long past (although she still has a bad limp, and one leg is an inch shorter than the other now).

But the psychological stuff goes on much longer.

And when I think about all of the people currently living in abusive relationships, it can get pretty depressing.

Isnt the entire US of A living in an abusive relationship with a godawful grifter and bully?

It’s nuts what a person can do to another. Sorry your gf had to go through that. It’s good that you’re there for her.

So I was on the phone with my sister late last night, relatively late for me but 230AM for her. We have the next day off, her family is out with her guy’s family, nothing strange here except… someone starts pounding on her door. They kind of live a ways out, like surrounded by state park, so there are no neighbors that close but the road in can get kind of busy.

Anyway she tells me someone is pounding on the door at 230AM, and won’t stop, then she sees this person head around the back, calls the police while I am still on the headset. We were both having just a quiet sister talk, and now we’re both wide awake. I can her call the police, like I’m listening to everything at this point because I don’t really know what else I can do…

It turns out it was the police. At no point did they identify themselves as they pounded on the door but the 911 dispatcher confirmed it was the police and that she should answer the door. After she disarms the system, the officer isn’t there anymore, and presumably left.

The entire ruckus was due to some loose horses on the road, and they’re trying to find the owner. Alls well, but it does seem like they should have better way to ask nearby residents if the animals belong to them without pounding on the door and searching the backyard with a flashlight, maybe looking for stables I guess.

That was scary, but glad it ended ok!

Wow. This brings a memory flooding back in.

Back in the beginning days of my divorce, I would go to look after my kid at my ex-wife’s house when she was out of town for business. I just thought that was the right thing to do. It was late one night and there was pounding at the door.

I went and checked and it was two police officers.

“We had a complaint of a disturbance.”

My son was asleep. I’d been watching a movie with headphones on.

I said, “I don’t think you’re at the right place.”

Then I saw the area the police cars had come from. It was an area from which a police dude my ex had dated (online date) had come from. Like an hour away. He’d dispatched his friends just to bug me. To let me know he knew I was there.

It was chilling and annoying…

“No,” I said. “We’re good.”

They looked embarrassed and left.

So weird.

-xtien

That’s so screwed up, like sick.

My guess is these cops, at my sisters, just didn’t think what kind of alarm they would send to someone pounding on the door in the late hours like that would cause someone surrounded by woods. Your experience sounds like a low grade dirty cop plot from like Law & Order or something. Chilling is an appropriate word for that.

Reminds me of a story.

I’m walking out of my local bar in the early evening. Suddenly I see two police cars and a police van screech to a stop in the street.

I think to myself, this should be interesting.

Bunch of cops pile out of the van and cars and are pointing guns. They yell, “Turn around! Hands against the glass! Do not move!” And I am thinking, that’s funny. It almost looks like they are pointing at me. Ha ha!

Then I realize that they are indeed pointing their guns at me. I went into shock mode. Seriously. Time slowed down. They kept yelling so I did what they wanted. I turned and put my hands on the window of the bar I had just left. Inside I see Richie Dunn, the bartender and an ex-cop, looking at me like I was crazy.

They swarmed me. One had a gun in my ear. The other cuffed me. I dared to ask what was going on. I got a punch in the head and a shut up.

Couple of cops went into the bar to talk to Richie.

They exited the bar. They removed the handcuffs. And just left.

I went into the bar and asked Richie what the fuck?

“Oh, someone called in a robbery at this address. It was a joke.”

A fucking joke? I almost shit my pants. I asked for a pony glass of vodka and a straw. No way I could have lifted a glass without my shaking hands emptying it before it hit my mouth.

I got surrounded by police when I was knocking on doors for McCaskill. I was in a blue-collar neighborhood and someone called the police on me. There were like five of them. They didn’t draw their guns but they circled me and grilled me, and finally told me it would be better if I left. Doesn’t really matter that the Constitution protects what I was doing. The police didn’t like it.

Fuck.

What utter scumbags. Feels like this country is in a worse place than any time in the past 50 years.

Man that sucks. I can’t believe they aren’t apologizing up and down to you in that situation.

Man I never would think that bad cop situations are so prevalent without the internet. I’ve only gotten stopped for speeding and almost every time they have been very polite and let me go with a warning. I’ve stopped and asked cops questions and they’ve been helpful.

Part of the problem with my situation is I was part of a team of door-knockers spreading out over the area. Some of them were African-American. You know we can’t have that kind of thing. I think I was just the first one the police found. Still. it was freaky being surrounded by police that way.

I guess we’re lucky you didn’t wind up on the news with some bullshit reason being made up for why they beat you near to death.

Meanwhile, my sister told her guy and his family what happened when she joined them at the campsite… there was a minor conversation about whether or not the cops would consider a flashlight as a weapon and how dangerous it might have been had her guy been there and actually gone out to look for the police, on his properly, at the wee hours… he’s supper pissed they didn’t identify themselves to her, and they said even if they had they would have still called the dispatch to verify their presence there.

It is super hot and humid this weekend so of course a huge storm had to go through and knock out power to over 100k people including us. Could be Tuesday before we get power. Argggg. If I could eat and go somewhere fun it wouldn’t be so bad, but needing rest and specific restricted diet post-op making this miserable. Can’t afford to lose all the food in our packed fridge and freezers either.

That is the worst! I hope the power comes back on sooner!

Also, for frozen foods, the more packed the freezer, the longer it all stays cold. If possible, buy up as much ice as you can, and keep it filled.

By the way, something my wife and I have started doing is occasionally leaving cold water out for our mail carrier. With all the online shopping going on, and the heat wave upon us, take a moment and think about them. Especially if you expect a few packages from Amazon.

Tuesday! Wow. That sucks. That’s a long time without power.

I think I’m lucky. I don’t think I’ve ever been without power for longer than six hours. Usually much less, like 20 minutes. And even then, we only lose power maybe once per year, maybe less.

Which is why I’ve never purchased a UPS for my computer.
And now I imagine I will be struck by lightning.

As a mail carrier I can say that this is always greatly appreciated.

With all the crazy nuts out there, I don’t think I’d ever eat or drink anything someone left out for me if I had a job that presented that opportunity.