That Internet dating thing

I swear all the non-mentally-deranged decent women in my area are either married or already in a relationship. :P

That’s all, just wanted to rant.

The three sites on the amalgamated banner ad at the top of the page right now (just using their come-on; not mentioning the sites):

Is He Cheating On You?
Make Him Addicted To You
Are You Single?

The second one is particularly interesting. Did you know there are nine magic words you must say to make him fall for you? I’m almost tempted to click the link and find out just what those nine words are.

I’ve got fifty cents on “I got you a case of your favorite beer.”

My wife commented to me that she heard a (XM) radio ad for Ashley Madison while listening to Headline News yesterday. She was just flabbergasted that what she viewed as a sleazy scam for unfaithful men had enough money to afford a spot on a national show during rush hour.

Oh no, says I, Ashley Madison is a pretty high-quality site; very discreet, great customer service.

Then she threw a dog-toy at me and the dog followed and there was a lot of slobbering.

“Do you want my Guild Wars 2 beta key?”

I’d be willing to bet those 9 words are behind a subscription pay wall. Just a hunch…

FTFY. (Because a couple who plays together, stays together.)

Ahh, but giving their only key is like handing over the last polo mint…

I must be really blowing it on my followup messages. Out of 3 girls I got a positive response from on my initial message, none of them have replied to my 2nd message. Is this common or do I need to step it up? I don’t understand why they would bother respond in the first place if they didn’t care to keep things moving forward.

Some people don’t check it every single day. With the amount of messages some people receive, don’t take it personally that yours hasn’t been answered.

It’s like applying for a job, really.

Girls are typically inundated with contacts and messages. Give them time to dig themselves out. Guys have it far worse on those sites. :) That said, if she’s totally into you, I would expect a quicker response…

Well I messaged 2 of the girls last weekend, so I figure they are lost causes by now. I just messaged the other one yesterday, so I won’t count her out yet but I’m fairly sure she has at least read my message. I’ll just keep soldering on, but I had assumed once I got a foot in the door with a message/profile that was strong enough to elicit a response, I’d at least be able to get a few back and forths out of it.

Yeah, don’t get too discouraged delirium. It might take someone a week or so to reply, for example.

His expectations sound just a little bit too high still.

I’m just trying to figure out what my expectations should be, is all. I’m trying to approach this as realistically as I can right now, and really my only goal is to go on some dates in the near future. If I’m writing messages that suck, then I will just have to figure out what I need to do to make them not suck. I’m just asking if it should be expected to not get a response for a while after making initial contact. If expecting 1/3 to keep a simple text conversation going is too high expectations, then I guess I have my work cut out for me. Not that I didn’t know that already though.

Well, as I said, it’s a buyer’s market for girls. They can pick and choose. If they leave you hanging, well, fire off some more messages to other girls. :)

No, it honestly shouldn’t be expected. A while back, a girl told me that a non-response is a response. Move on. ;)

Thank you sir for the most direct of answers.

Yeah but sometimes they literally won’t check their messages for like a week or two!

You’re welcome…?

This.