That Sopranos show cranks up again on March 7

Wait, so Tony has an Escalade AND a Suburban?

HahahAHHAHHAHAH! Turn in your fanboy card at ONCE!

Tony bought an Escalade this season so the show could pimp GM along
with all the other subtle product placement meant to surreptiously
sneak into your brainstem to make you BUY PRODUCT.
Unfortunately, before Tony could drop some witty comment
about how the Escalade was “built like a tank” or somehow enhanced
his already immense ursine Italian savoir faire, he did what
any right-thinking violent New Jerseyian would do and FLIPPED HIS
7000 POUND SUV in order to avoid a hydrophobic racoon weighing
maybe 10 pounds. Maybe he just didn’t want to have to hose down
the tire.
Lacking a vehicle, Tony presumably returned to the dealership where
he’d traded in his Suburban and magically convinced them to return
said vehicle, never mind the fact that this implies that the dealers
were so inept they couldn’t move the thing in the several months they’ve
had it. Who knows, maybe he went out and bought another one
just like it, right down to the year.
The other alternative, that Tony regularly parks two massive
SUVs outside his mother’s house, would just be strange.
Thus, Tony lost two cars in one episode.

Dude I’m gonna buy an Escalade RIGHT NOW.

(checks bank account)

Oh, well…dang.

Didn’t he buy a vehicle for AJ but he could only use it if he got good grades, etc. in the first or second episode of this season?

— Alan

Isn’t this the second time Tony’s vehicle saved his life? When Junior tried to hit him, he saw the guys reflection in the finish of his (last) vehicle and ducked out of the way at the last minute. I think this was the same vehicle that Chris just took out.

Didn’t he buy a vehicle for AJ but he could only use it if he got good grades, etc. in the first or second episode of this season?

I believe that was a bright yellow Hummer.

What I’m curious about is since when does Tony do blow? He’d always harped on Christopher about the drugs before he got his button.

I’ve gotten through the first 10min or so of ep5, and between this and everything else I’m reading, it sounds like there are just a ton of inconsistencies.

That was like an Xterra or Aztek or something horrible looking that kids these days drive.

Nissan Xterra. Worst product placement moment in the series, too, thanks to Tony’s “Part of Nissan’s triple-safety philosophy” line. Though to be fair, it was the sort of thing Tony would say. Everybody in the crew blindly buys into advertising and other propaganda. Hence Chris’ great “Didn’t you listen to the president? We’re gonna take over the world and everyone’s gonna have to do what we say” comment from last night.

As for Tony and the blow…the guy’s going completely out of control. Every week he’s gotten worse. Though I do think the coke came up pretty suddenly, it’s not like Tony hasn’t been shown at Adrianna’s club a lot this season. And the guy has been shown eating, getting angry, or trying to fuck somebody in every second scene this season. That catcher’s mitt comment from Chris was hilarious last night, and dead on.

He was also finding himself attracted to Adrianna, so since she was doing blow… he had to say yes. Maybe he was looking to lower his inhabitions so he could rationalize his lusting for her.

Of course Tony didn’t kill the 10-pound racoon. Tony’s got this psychological hangup regarding animals. From the ducks in the pool to Pie-O-My’s tragic death (which marked the brutal end of Joey Pants last season). He finally lost it with Christopher’s drug addiction when he found out Chris sat on the dog (beating fiance? Ok. Dead doggie? Not ok), and this season, big bear Tony moves out and a real big bear seemed to move in. I love the way animals figure into this show.

No, he was doing blow before that. He came out and ran into Meadow while sniffing and rubbing his nose. She even told mom he looked “coked”. Then when he and Ade began to bond over coke he mentioned he had his own stash (this was the first time they did it, not the night of the crash).

Yeah, I don’t find it unbelievable or a contradiction that Tony would do some coke but still be pissy about Chris drug use. Chris’s drug use typically wasn’t an issue for Tony unless it got in the way of his plans.

Here’s a great line from last night that says a lot about where Tony’s head is at. Just before the accident Ade suggests someone for Tony, and he answers something like, “That girl? She’s in her thirties.”

Not to mention the fact that Tony lies to everyone, all the time. Count the whoppers last night. He lies to everyone important in his life, save Melfi, and he’s so self-deluded that he blames her in the end for “deciding” not to fuck Adrianna. Sheesh. The guy used to be an anti-hero you were drawn to. Mobster, yeah, but he fed those ducks, looked after his kids, turned the soccer coach in instead of killing him, etc. Even the really evil stuff, like screwing over his old high-school friend the sports-store owner, and okaying the murder of Jackie Aprile Jr., and killing Ralphie, were either at a distance or justified in different ways. I mean, who wasn’t cheering when Tony offed Ralphie? Same deal with Jackie Jr.

Now even that limited moral code is out the window. I still love the show, and appreciate what Chase is doing with the character, but it’s becoming kinda hard to watch since everything is so incredibly dark. It’s going to be interesting to see if Tony pulls out of this or if the spiral’s going to continue until the end of the series next year. I’ve thought for the past year that Tony would get sucked to the very bottom (I’m expecting something really crazy before the end of this year, like Tony killing Chris or Adrianna or his cousin Tony, or maybe even Janice, or maybe through negligence be responsible for the death of AJ), then almost save himself somehow, then die because it’s just too late and he’s done too evil much to warrant salvation.

That Buscemi’s got a little temper on him. I loved the final scene. The massage thing just didn’t “work out” and then Tony grins and say, “Its hard working with strangers”. Just like that his months of studying and work were flushed down the toilet and he’s back in the family business.

Good episode. I’m really digging Edie DeFalco’s performance this season.

Potential Spoiler

It was kinda sad to see Buscemi take the turn. Did i miss something that directly caused it? At one point he’s gambling away 12k and the next he’s going “Walking Tall” on his soon to be former partner.

Yeah, I thought that was rather abrupt, as was the transition by the teacher from lover to asshole.

Well, Tony Blundetto was all hard-work and straight-and-narrow when he had no money but a dream, or at least, a goal. But then, within a few short days, he gets the backing to fulfill his dream and start up his business, walks into a bunch of free money, and resultantly loses his drive to succeed. It seems that his character knew about the studying and work needed to get his massage therapy license, but didn’t think beyond that, regarding the sheer amount of work involved in starting and running the actual business (renovation, materials, book-keeping, etc).

His descent is a combination of the actual realization of his long-term goal (and likely no plans for what to do beyond that) and his monetary windfall (which reminded him of the old life). Together, it became all too easy for him to question the need to put all the work into running a legitimate business in exchange for the fast lifestyle and easy money of the syndicate.

Yeah, but he killed that big gold fish so Tony is going to snuff him, probably sometime next week. :)

Was Chris with Ade early in the show or was that some other blonde? One week he is ready to implode, the next he is just fine. I guess they did end with them all having dinner with Tony and co, but it just seemed unlikely to me.

Really? I thought the scene where he asked Fisk to change the grade was sufficiently uncomfortable to make that work. Plus, he was right. Carmella isn’t really aware of it but she absolutely is a user of people. Anyone remember how she helped Meadow get into school? Similar.

Blundetto went nuts because he got $12,000 for free and used it to remind hmself how much fun the criminal life is… versus the legit life he was working for.

And, yeah Tim, that was Ade. I think the key was that Tony and Carmella went to dinner with them and all the Captains were there. That let Christopher save face with the Captains (who would bust the ass of anyone under them who continued to spread the story).

It’s not all that believable really because I’m sure the story how Christopher tried to kill the Boss at the 'Bing is going to have stronger legs than the BJ story. It probably isn’t realistic to show everyone that you can take a wack at the Boss and then have dinner with him later.

I think Carm’s behavior getting Meadow into school was a lot different than last night situation. She wasn’t sleeping with the gal she intimidated for Meadow. I always thought of it as shrewd because she used her position as Tony’s wife to get things done.

Then again, I don’t really see her using her relationship with teacher boy from last night either. He could have just declined to have that conversation with Fisk. His whole “You Used Your Pussy Weapon Against Me” agrument was sorta lame and made him look like an ass.

The part I thought was interesting for Carm was how Tony-like her reaction was. She seemed so full of self pity, which is exactly what I would expect from Tony. It’s a little out of character for her, because she’s the kind of gal who finds a way to get what she wants, like in the situation above getting Meadow into Colombia. Maybe all the characters are morphing into unlikeable (less likeable–see Brett’s message about Tony’s character changes from last week) sorts.