The 2018 Midterms Game Day Thread of Angst, Worry, (and maybe some hope?)

What the actual hell?

Another vote dump in Arizona, this one definitely in an area favorable to Sinema (Pima county, which is Tucson). She increases her lead to 36,000 votes.

The votes in Florida in Bay County add up to 150 votes submitted via email.

I’m all for giving relief to victims of the hurricane… but that application and offer of that relief needs to be universal in the state. That is such a major issue. And the best is if you read the top comments to that tweet you see the GOP excusing it because ‘of course we weren’t cheating like the Democrats’. Just crazy

I don’t understand the problem. I’m sure they were emailed to the Sec of State’s email and he forwarded them without editing.

I expect this to be called in the next hour or two

Edit - maybe not. Maricopa only dropping 19k today. My goodness… i was expecting 3x to 4x that amount.

7pm vote drop, and Sinema still up 36,000. She gained a few hundred. These I think are Maricopa ballots.

There’s the ballots. Lead balloons to 38,000. d is right, they’re gonna call it.

Katie Hobbs expanded her lead as well.

The shaaaaaade…

(AP also called the race just moments before.)

(HIlariously, John Kyl–appointed to fill John McCain’s remaining time in the Senate until 2020–is likely to step down, and McSally will be appointed to take his seat.)

McSally will be a senator in DC before Kyrsten Sinema, in all likelihood.

Props to AZ officials for handling this in a calm, predictable, fair fashion

And, honestly, props to Martha McSally who resisted the NRSC and RNC’s attempts to get her to start inventing conspiracy theories to challenge this race. (I mean, they wouldn’t have gone anywhere as far as I can tell; these counties counted their mail-in and drop-off ballots in a methodical and reasonable way. But still…)

Yup. Unfortunately the take away may be:

Be more like Florida.

Why would he step down?

I’m guessing 1) in order to give fellow Republican McSally the advantage of incumbency when McCain’s old seat comes up for reelection and 2) he’d rather be doing other things, either more lucrative or less stressful (I don’t know much about the guy).

Yep, both of those things. Kyl was happy with being a retired senator, and he seems eager to get back to that. And him stepping away again gives McSally something of an incumbency advantage in 2020.

Big court win for Abrams tonight…

Who knew that letting someone adjucate their own election could be bad!

Kyl is the fucker behind UIGEA.

This is a good win for Democrats, for women (because AZ will now join the select group of states that have 2 women Senators), and for LGBT folks. But, Sinema will be the new Manchin, likely the most conservative Democratic Senator in the Senate. She’s anti-tax, anti-regulation, as rabidly anti-immigration as the GOP caucus, pro-police, pro-surveillance. She voted with Trump more than 60% of the time in the House even though she represents a heavily Clinton-voting district. She’s gonna drive us progressives crazy.