The 2019 Music Thread

Brutus, where the drummer is the lead singer.

I’ll try not to overindulge with the new stuff coming out from The National, but they just released the second video from their new album. If they hadn’t already earned the “sad dads” moniker, this one certainly cements it.

Really enjoying the new Undertheskin EP. Post-punk,cold wave, shoegaze, from Krakow Poland.

This one has a little more The Cure in it

I’ve been listening to very little other than Weyes Blood all weekend. It’s hard to imagine another album taking over as my favorite album of this year, but I welcome attempts to try.

The upcoming Bedouine album might manage it on the strength of this first song from it. She sounds remarkably like Alison Statton.

That is so good!

Good God Almighty!

What an ordeal this recipe is.

Apparently Kristin Hersh put out a solo record I missed last year.

So did I!

And speaking of solo records from the hippest of 90’s-era alternative rock front-women, Kazu Makino of Blonde Redhead has a solo album on the way.

Are there any King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard fans in here? They have released a few new songs the past month or so. The most recent being a 80’s thrash metal meets motorhead? I love that these guys really have no genre and are constantly putting out different styles of music.

Landed at midnight. It’s so goddamned beautiful. Just an amazing piece of work so far. I mean, when both Ray Davies and Brian Eno think your band is the best music group out there, you’re doing something right.

I’m imagining Nick Hemming’s life collapsing all about him 2 years ago and him thinking “Well, maybe I’ll at least get a good album’s worth of songs out of this…”

It’s both a sad album and also an incredibly hopeful one. It’s a double album equivalent of that scene with Ben Stiller and Gene Hackman at the end of Royal Tenenbaums when he says “It’s been a rough year, Dad.” “I know Chassie.”

Ha! Great description. Can’t wait!

New Anderson .Paak album Ventura is out today. Not as good as Malibu, but better than Oxnard.

New MARINA (formerly Marina and the Diamonds) mini-album LOVE out last week. I think she’s got a great voice, and I dig the dreamy pop.

New single from Yeasayer:

And a new single from The Mountain Goats. It reminds me of something, but I can’t place it:

Awoooooo

And this album is some nice dreampop/shoegaze from Italy.

I am kind of burned out on the “indie” sound after, what, ~30 years now? Just like I can’t listen to techno. But I like this one. I think it’s the drums.

Come for the kimchi, stay for the drum sound! I like it too… been meaning to give her whole album a try.

Kimchi will clear your sinuses. I didn’t actually like it when I tried it.

She lost me at squid.