The absolute dumbest thing you'll see all week: Godzilla vs. Kong

Skull Island was like 50 years ago story wise. The monsters inconsistent size is kind of a standard of the genre, sort of a rule of cool thing.

Sure, I know the official excuse is he was a “teenager” then, but most Primates don’t quadruple in size between post adolescence and adulthood.

The reason it frustrates me so much is that the 2014 Godzilla did such an amazing job with illustrating the terrifying scale of this immense being. Like, he’s so huge you can barely even see all of him at one time, he just fills your field of view. And all of that is just thrown away in this. He looks positively tiny when he attacks Pensacola.

Well, no kaiju could exist due to the square-cube law. So if we can handwave that away… :)

Depends on how well they eat. There were a whole lots of natives missing on that island.

Cut out the ridiculous Truman show beginning, cut the tech has advance by a a few hundred years but only for the bad, get rid of the wormhole anything because, well that was a one and done, and yeah all the sleuthing crap, throw in a longer cobra scene and several more mecha scenes and it could’ve been… okay. I’ll accept that a little girl permanently on the verge of crying adds… something.

Yeah, that was dumb as well. Like, Kong just sat there and let them build a prison around him?

Maybe they built it while he was asleep.

He was probably on his phone scrolling through Facebook.

Hell with the amount of time I spend scrolling through Qt3, you could definitely build a prison around me without me noticing… omg there is a brand new fence in my back yard…

Watched Shin Godzilla last night. It is… different, with a whole lot of talking. Endless meetings! The whole freezing Godzilla is kind of stupid, but I guess the alternative is nuking Godzilla in Tokyo, which is a BFD in Japan (the only country that was actually nuked, not once but twice).

Japan’s unique status in that regard really informs a lot of their cinema, from Godzilla to Akira to Princess Mononoke. It’s fascinating.

I love that we are questioning the science behind giant gorillas.

Well, not vertically, anyway.

I hate that law because it takes so much fun out of everything. So, yes, ignore it. Just like we ignore the Ideal Gas Law when we accuse Tom Brady of cheating.

I spotted a few typos for you.

I’ve been enjoying this movie so far. The first part featuring Kong in the dome and Godzilla’s attack on the corporate facility were good setups. Then the first fight between them out at sea was really great, and very imaginative, considering that you would expect Kong to have a huge disadvantage in such a fight. It really made me root for Kong, since he had such a huge handicap.

Further exploration of the hollow earth from previous movies in this series has been great so far.

A confession: Back in the early to mid 80s when I was about 7 or 8, I used to have this whole elaborate daydream/fantasy that I was the head of an international crime fighting organization, and that there was a secret elevator below my house that used to take me to a a hollow earth headquarters from which I had an express elevator to anywhere in the world.

Anyway, I had forgotten all about that until I saw Kong frolicking in the hollow Earth. Great stuff. Very colorful, very imaginative. I like it!

Yesterday I reached the part where there’s a robot shaped like Godzilla. I’m not sure I see the point of that. I suppose you can make a robot any practical shape you want, so I suppose that if you think Godzilla is the best shape for a fighting robot, then that’s what you would build huh?

I mean, this is the point:

At this point it’s because it’s an established character. There’s different reasons for it depending on the era, OG MechaGodzilla actually originally had a Godzilla skin and it was being used to frame Godzilla, no really, until it got burnt off in a way that must have inspired Terminator somewhat. Later, most Godzilla movies treat the 54 movie as canon, and most of the other Godzilla movies are really following a second Godzilla, as such the 90s iteration of MechaG is built on the bones of the Godzilla from G’54.