The action roguelite thread

Those are on my list, but they’re so new that I figured I’ll wait it out for a few months. I can’t say I’m not tempted though, especially with Soulstone…

I played the Soulstone Survivors demo (possibly the same as the free Prologue version) during the Steam fest and strongly disliked how absurdly busy the visuals are. The action is 90% just walking between colored circles to dodge all the spam. I didn’t even want to try a second run.

Basically all the streamers I’ve seen play it wind up turning off 90% of the FX, for a mixture of “not melting their computer,” “not murdering their stream bitrate,” and “not dying to attacks that their 4000 particle effects obscured” reasons.

It’s worth noting that Soulstone Survivors looks hideous with 90% of the FX turned off, lol.

The current version is even more absurdly busy, which is saying something. I do like it, though. And they have so much they plan to add to it, I think it bears watching, though I imagine it will never be to your liking.

Warm Snow has a new free dlc with this:

"The new story and the new gameplay mode—the Nightmare World. 5 Bosses, 6 real or unreal endings, more than 30 nightmare skills, and a multitude of styles are waiting for you to explore!
Remember, you can only return to reality if you resist the temptation and find the truth!"

Rogue Legacy 2 had also a nice upate a few weeks ago:

For some reason I do still have Rogue Legacy 2 installed, and that update makes me want to click on it. I know I would have to relearn ranges and timings. That thought leads to a recurring problem. It’s really tough to go back to any game I’ve played through when there are new games with their unseen takes on genre still to explore.

If I ever do go back, maybe the pirate class will click for me. Its description had me sold, and then it didn’t behave how I expected or wanted. Biggest disappointment, whereas cook was reluctantly unlocked and then became the biggest positive surprise.

They dropped the new version onto the Switch as it came out on PC, so I finally grabbed it and started playing. It’s a ton of fun so far, and the new stuff has made my pitiful attempts at runs interesting despite watching a couple dozen hours of streamers playing it at the original release.

Sequel to Perfection:

been playing Scarlet Tower, Soulstone Survivors, Rogue: Genesia and Army of Ruin lately. Most of these have a dash mechanic, twin-stick aiming or both.

Scarlet Tower is ok, but currently a bit lacking in content. It’s the closest to VS imo.

Soulstone Survivors feels the most like a traditional twin-stick shooter. Tons to unlock already and very fun and addictive. It’s unique in that running into baddies doesn’t hurt you so feels a lot different.

Rogue:Genesia has the most interesting build diversity to me personally. The ability to lower stats to raise others allows unique builds. It also has both a VS style mode and a more traditional StS roguelike progression mode.

Army of Ruin has some of the better visuals imo. The lack of right stick aiming is something I’m continually getting irritated at though. Lots of weapons need aiming (similar to the knife in VS) but they all aim the same, which is moving towards your target, which in a game where touching things hurts and you don’t control when it shoots feels awful and clunky. It also has Twitch integration so as a streamer this aspect is kinda fun. It’s not as fleshed out as it could be, but still adds to the experience for the viewers. Chat can vote directly on your upgrade choices and minibosses will be named after active chat members.

Interesting art style for a roguelite

They are doing a ‘remaster’ (but still 2d) fo Risk of Rain 1

My friends and I were only recently talking about playing the original again but remembered all the hassle with port forwarding so this is well timed. It looks great too.

I am usually not a fan of sidescrollers but RoR1 really clicked for me. RoR2 fell flat for me. Interested in this.

I might give this RoR remaster a try, if it makes it over to consoles. I’ve played the heck out of the sequel, but missed the original.

Tiny Rogue update!

Highlights

Holiday Event: Tiny Rogues is beginning to look a lot like Christmas! I am glad to announce that the real Santa will be a permanent visitor of the tavern over the holidays.
New feature: Added the Cinder system. Challenge yourself and apply up to 16 additional difficulty modifiers.
New feature: The Broken Hero Sword can finally be repaired. I added 6 legendary new swords. Good luck on the quest to repair the sword! More info and tips on how to repair the sword can be found below.
New feature: Added Pawn Shop rooms! Sell your weapons and equipment to Lucien the collector.
Rework: Blood Shrines are now called Blood Altars and grant new rewards.
New feature: Added charms which are a new type of item that grants stats while in inventory.
New feature: Added a bunch of new and unique consumable items. Including two new types of dice.
Rework: Massive equipment overhaul. Almost every piece of equipment in the game has been either buffed or at least been made more unique and enticing to use.
New equipment: Added more than 30 new unique equipment items.
New weapons, equipment, event rooms and other stuff! This update adds a bunch of creator Easter eggs, which is new content that relates to content creators that made videos on Tiny Rogues or streamed the game. A full list of implemented Easter eggs can be found below.
Melee Buffs: I put a bit of effort into improving the melee archetype this patch. Melee is still a difficult play style, especially when using short ranged weapons. I hope I improved the experience at least a little bit!
Rework: Armory rooms are now guaranteed. Added a special rare type of Armory called Royal Armory which contains even more and better weapons.
New achievements: Added 11 new achievements.

A really underrated rougelite that no one talks about but i love its called dungreed first if you like 2 player it has couch co-op second all the items are pretty unique third it has food shop which is epic forth the music and bosses are really well made fifth it has like a weird type of skill tree thing. and yeah thats basically dungreed its about 5~15 dollars so its not a lot of money so dungreed is good. also conan chop chop is pretty good you shoud try it to

Thanks for the recommendation on Dungreed. I stuck it on the wishlist.

Did you play Conan Chop Chop solo or co-op?

I bought In Celebration of Violence for a whole 0.79€ (90% discount on Steam). Not sure when I will have the time to play it. Surely after I will get it for free on amazon prime, or some bundle.

In case you haven’t bought Nova Drift:

We always knew the price would increase a few times as we approached full release, but for some reason we never got around to it, until now… and the time for the first increase is coming soon: January 16th to be exact. After that the game will go from $14.99 to $17.99 USD, and all other currencies will increase as well in a similar proportion.