The actual Empire: Total War thread

Why are people complaining about the sameness of the troops? Do you mean from nation-to-nation or within? Cause it’s not like some guys got different muskets, or two-headed horses or something. There’s really only so much you can do and still be historical.

Oh, and just play Third Age TW if you need a Total War fix. WAAAY better than Empire.

I have enjoyed the game since release, bad AI and all. However, since the latest patch, the FPS have decreased drastically for me - battles crawl and the campaign map even stutters now. What the heck happened? Also, I hate hate hate that they changed the intro movie. I have no desire to get Warpath; can I get the old intro screen back please? Oh, and fix the FPS issues.

Salwon, I just got back from the National Army Museum in London, and there were a SHITLOAD of different units back then. Different guns, different uniforms, different nationalities…there were so many opportunities for CA to add in some thing other than Generic Line Infantry Regiment #134.

Sure, there were 1000 guns, but they wouldn’t be uniform across a regiment (or even across a company). How would you model the fact that every regiment has its own identity (uniforms etc) without building OOBs for each nation?

I’m not saying they should have gone all out and made every regiment unique and different, just that what they did in response was to take a rich history of unique groups, regiments, divisions, etc. and make them all one generic mass.

And it’s not a question of who has what gun, either. by that logic, the medieval wouldn’t have a lot of units since they all use the same kind of sword (I’m generalizing, I know).

I just wanted to see some sort of effort beyond allowing the players to name the disposable line infantry.

Being able to develop unique loadout types would’ve been a nice something.

I actually wondered why they couldn’t include a uniform editor of some kind; something that would allow you to cusomize the colors or even details of a uniform. I’m sure something like that wouldn’t be that hard to put togehter and it would be appropriate to the time period. I like to name my units after they got two experience chevrons… imagine how cool it would be to give them a stand-out colored lapel or a cool new custom-colored uniform.

Oh no, I like to play dress-up with computer action figures.

Hey, computer action figures are a step up.

I see where you’re coming from, and an in-campaign editor of some kind would’ve done wonders for this. But it seems to me like there needs to be a tradeoff between having full historical flavor, which would require a lot of grunt work, and making sure your game can go beyond just what really happened. Of course, they took the lamest possible way out - did you know that ALL line infantry from every country wore the same uniform?

Heck, even if they’d done it Civ style where you can customize bonuses for veteran units …

Or, like, mountain/field/marine regiments.

Something.

I agree, anything would have been better. But CA has a lot on their plate. See, they realized people just aren’t using sloops against ships of the line. What can be done about that…?

Sweep it away and start a brand new, overlapping game?

Or charge you extra to add in “special” units?

Double ZING!

Hey-O!

Everyone around here who was waiting to throw more money (away) at CA now have their chance!

Cutting-edge multiplayer — Napoleon features fully integrated multiplayer modes and a complete set of online functionalities: Steam achievements, gameplay bonuses, uniform editor and voice communications.

heh, fuck em’

So…they dont want to fix the game first?

Sorry CA, thats the last money you ever get from me

The community just has to say “no” to this…if their sales are abysmal that’s the only way left to get them to finish the games they start. No way in hell am I buying this unless they’ve actually fixed Empire first.

As I commented in one of the “dlc” threads, not buying their latest add-on was tough for me, but considering I couldn’t play through a campaign without crashing (even after reinstalling my OS) I felt it would just be flushing money down the proverbial toilet. After that dev’s blog and now seeing this, I’m quite happy to never hear from that company again.

I won’t be given a refund back from the wasted purchase of E:TW, nor could I get any of my time back from trying to make it work. As a result, CA won’t be getting any more of my money.

I said “Good day, sir!”

I’m playing Prussia as usual, and its a real challenge, given, you gotta count on the AI doing some silly stuff, but if you don’t, its pretty much game over after round 5.

First time, I played without knowing about how to even do revolutions, some googling later I have made a republic outta my peeps from round 3, and boy is the world pissed…

Its a riot just to live past the next turn.

Why did you get a republic out of Prussia - what is the advantage?

Just wondering, as I am playing a Prussia game.