The All-Positive Star Wars Opinions Thread

Finally, the classic of them all. The Star Wars “Stairway to Heaven”:

Was that your first time watching Troops? It’s a classic of the pre-Youtube era IMO. I first saw it on a CD my brother gave me…

It really was.

My film school buddy used to say that that sequence was pretty much the peak of visual effects up to the present (“present” meaning mid-late '90s, when he was saying it). I never gave it much thought, but he may have been right. I prefer the asteroid chase in Empire but in terms of sheer complexity, number of objects interacting, etc., the Jedi space battle is pretty impressive.

Oddly what I remember most about it is the scene where Luke and the Emperor are looking at it through the window and it’s just a bunch of distant silent flashes. That bit always stuck with me.

Okay, sorry, but you just reminded me of something I love that could make a few of you convulse with disallowed negativity!

After Star Wars came out, a disco producer named Meco had a minor hit with a disco version of the Star Wars theme. After Empire, he released a whole album of Empire music reimagined. It’s not as disco-y as the SW one. There’s a lot more rock influence. And, guys, I LOOOOOOVE it. I did when I was a kid, and I still do. I sincerely think some of it is really great, for derivative music from the 80s.

ENJOY!

The Roller Skating Rink, baby!

I remember liking when Han Solo died in a very stupidly romantic “Asian movie” way, and then, in Return of the Jedi being super disap… SKRRIIITKKGTTZZ
I remember liking how I felt in my pants watching Natalie Portman in Attack of the Clones. This was very positive to me, mind you.

And we all know sand really hurts in those pants too! So that is a good lesson for everyone!

Positives!

Glad you enjoyed it. Gordon and I remember it, but if you are like 5-10 years younger, you might not have ever seen it. Hence my Weird Al share as well. Whoever did the video is fantastic (the TLJ scenes when Al sings “I’ll be doing these movies until the end of time!”) .

I used to have a janky tape recording of the Empire soundtrack and played it a ton in my room as I would draw my comics and indulge in sci-fi fantasies.

Really, Williams’s run from Jaws through Temple of Doom is pretty stunning. Quite a decade for him.

Two things I recall about SW on its original run. One, the newspaper ads touting “Amazing 55th week, only in theatres!” or something similar. Nothing gets runs like that these days. Even at second run theatres. Second, I’m pretty sure I first saw it in a small college theatre that was almost like a theatre in the round sort of setup. I don’t have a clear memory of it but I recall my father taking me and my little brother to it and sitting one there sort of bench seats with 70s orange colors all over the place.

Oh, hey! I posted in a hurry and hadn’t even read the whole thread to see that you had posted Meco’s Star Wars theme. (BiggerBoat’s pic of the Empire soundtrack on vinyl reminded me of the record I owned of Meco, on the same label.) I very sincerely love Meco’s versions of the Empire songs. If you do too, check out the other Empire pieces in this compilation:

Meco’s stuff was the soundtrack to every birthday party, class trip, roller skating rink adventure, etc. of my childhood. It , the Soundtrack to Grease, and The Stones’ Some Girls and Emotional Rescue.

RiffTrax (i.e. the original MST3K guys) have done exactly that:

Link

Playing the game Beat Saber really gives me the ‘I AM A JEDI’ feeling (or at least a rockin’ Jedi), and reminds me that I am still able to get a big kick out of the Star Wars universe.

That’s perfect. I had it on vinyl, so it was mostly for myself and a friend or two to play TIE Fighter pilot to.

I can do this!

Star Wars : Space Opera, cool swords, magic and the fate of the universe, yes!

The Empire Strikes Back Cloud city, Lando, omg, Yoda is one of the most awesome characters ever, and what a heartbreaking ending!

Return of the Jedi : I like Ewoks. I like the fate of Darth Vader, the connection between Luke and Leia. Luke is finally badass and the space battles are pretty slick.

The Phantom Menace : Qui-Gon and Obiwan are two of the best buddy cops out there. Darth Maul has some sick moves and those are some pretty awesome battles. That’s a memorable bad guy.

Attack of the Clones : Across the Stars Love Theme is one of the best and moving and strangely epic instrumental tracks I have ever heard.

Revenge of the Sith : Yoda fights in this one. That was fun.

The Force Awakens : The introduction of the new characters, the emergence of old characters and having them work together was awesome. This one had a fair amount of comedy I liked too.

The Last Jedi : I don’t know what to say other than when Rey lifted those rocks, I just felt… excited, like just thrilled the Star Wars universe was continuing with her. I enjoyed a lot of this movie.

We lived in Sacramento, CA at the time, and our local theater was a set of geodesic domes. (Probably the most sci-fi place to see Star Wars ever. At least to a kid.) They played Star Wars for well over a year straight. Amazing. And you’re right, we don’t see theatrical runs like that anymore.

https://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/movies-news-reviews/article25126300.html

There is absolutely no denying that John Williams was on top of his game for the prequels. The score is at least as good as the original trilogy.

I didn’t know the name of that song, but as soon as you said it I could hear it in my mind.