The Amazon Prime Video thread

It reminds me a lot of Brandon Sanderson’s the Reckoners books…

With less making googly eyes.

Not sure it’s actually new, but Amazon’s inscrutable algorithms have just told me that Maria Bamford has a special on there.

Indeed it does.

If anyone missed that this showed up on Prime, I do recommend it, especially if you enjoy the movie.

Oh my god. I love Galaxy Quest so much. It’s the second DVD I ever bought (after the Matrix).

Thanks for the heads up!

I was trying to decide between Netflix, Hulu and Prime for next month, but this makes it easy.

Sadly though, Galaxy Quest itself is not on Prime.

That was so great, thanks for the post about it! It really is so improbable that Galaxy Quest worked as well as it did, so it’s nice to see what went into making it.

Galaxy Quest was one of the first, if not literally the first, movie I purchased on Amazon, in SD. I was pretty stoked when I got an upgrade to HD for free.

This kind of documentaries I find charming and… it also reminds me how middling nerd/geek I am because I knew almost nothing about these tidbits behind the show. I am glad it all really turned out the way it is, and I still miss Alan.

Anybody watch The Grand Tour Presents the Seamen yet? Just got through watching James May: Our Man in Japan. He was his usual entertaining self.

Alright, if I’m going to subscribe to Prime again, I need to update my list and create a plan. So I went through this thread to make a new list.

Documentary about Galaxy Quest
Fleabag
Counterpart (JK Simmons, parallel dimensions) (could go away, but currently on Prime)
Hunters (Al Pacino - Nazi hunters)
Undone (rotoscoped animated drama)
Dororo (anime - weird magic creatures and the devil in edo-ero Japan)
Trapped (murder mystery set in Iceland)
The Americans (could go away, but currently on Prime)
The Expanse
Modern Love? (romcom anthology)
Time Team (British archaeology show? Doesn’t sound appealing, but I’ll try it)
The Feed (near future dystopian techno-thriller)
Tales from the Loop (scifi anthology series)
ZeroZeroZero (3 groups in massive international drug deal)
Upload (new hotness)
Bosch (Not sure, about a private detective maybe?)

Movies:
The Report (CIA’s use of torture investigation by Congress)
The Frame (recommended by Charlatan which is 20 minutes too long)
Troop Zero (social misfit kids)
The Lighthouse (strange movie?)
Seberg (French activist targeted by Hoover’s FBI - based on true story)

Older list from upthread

ABC Murders - John Malcovich as Hercule Poirot
Carnival Row (new show by Deep Space Nine and 4400’s René Echevarria about Victorian era detectives)
One Mississippi (Tig Notaro show)
The Night Manager (Hugh Laurie show)
The Man in the High Castle
The Expanse
Jack Ryan
Patriot (What if 007 dealt with his PTSD by being a standup comic?)
Sneaky Pete (conman show enjoyed by Qt3)
A Very English Scandal (Hugh Grant show)
Catastrophe (Knocked up the TV show?)
Fleabag (British show about a woman dealing with adversity in her life?)
The Tick
Comrade Detective (Romanian Cold War era Propaganda detective show comedy)
The Americans (Amazon Exclusive, not Original, so it could leave)
Hannibal? (Can it be as good as the movies?)
Goliath? (Billy Bob Thornton is a lawyer, something something)
Mad Dogs? (Series about friends gathering in Belize?)
Bosch (Not sure, about a private detective maybe?)
Undone (rotoscoped animated drama)

Movies:
Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far On Foot (Joaquin Phoenix)
Last Flag Flying (Steve Carell, Laurence Fishburne, Bryan Cranston)

Add Upload and Tales from the Loop

Also Jack Ryan season 2 if that’s your thing. Not as good as season 1, but fine for Corona-watching.

But seriously, you’ll get your money’s worth just with four seasons of The Expanse!

I actually figured I probably won’t have time for the Expanse. I’m reluctant to start it, because I’ve read the books and although I enjoyed them, I’d rate them as mediocre science fiction books.

I’m also reluctant to start The Americans since it’s such a large time commitment. But that does seem like a show I’ll love if I get into it.

I’m guessing this time I’ll only have time to watch Counterpart, Upload, maybe Fleabag, and some odds and ends.

I think that’s a good list, if you have to saw off your right leg and skip Expanse. ;)

I would say Upload, The Expanse and Counterpart are the best things on that new list.

I found Undone to be Unwatchable.

Yeah I’d watch The Expanse first, then consider the rest of the list. :)

You’ve seen Bosch, I take it? That’s worth a watch.

I love The Expanse. I would have been happy to watch it year after year with just the tension and political intrigue among the Belters, Martians, and Earthers. It didn’t really need the protomolocule and the gates.

I have not seen Bosch. I’d removed it from the list thinking it’s probably not for me, but hey, I guess I’ll add it back on there.

If you don’t like police detective shows, it may not be for you. It’s a season long story arc (more than one arc actually) and it’s extremely well done. Titus Welliver is fantastic as Bosch.

If it doesn’t sound appealing, then you probably don’t need to watch it.