The Amazon Prime Video thread

Funny this should be brought up. I just started rewatching season 1 of Counterpart (I never saw season 2, and wanted the refresher), after noticing it on there and recommeding it to a friend. It’s all coming back, and damn it is so good. Simmons is great especially the confrontation at the end of ep. 8!

First part of Vikings last season is up on Prime for those who haven’t gotten enough Viking action with Last Kingdoms new season.

Watched Uploaded over the last few nights. Was pleasantly surprised. Not quite as funny as they advertise, but has a slightly humorous tone. It’s episodes are short (25-45 min) and it’s mystery isn’t bad either. Worth a shot.

The SXSW films are on Amazon too and I heartily recommend My Darling Vivian about Johnny Cash’s first wife. Super interesting doc about a woman almost totally forgotten (the part about Rodney Crowell’s tribute to her that Nashville edited out of the Cash Memorial show is galling).

Never watched it, would I like Vikings if I liked say… HBO’s Rome and Starz Spartacus ?

Closer to Spartacus, yeah. It got pretty dumb after S3? It’s not really historical.

It’s similar to the Borgias (the Showtime version, not the European version).

Last Kingdom is tons better if you wanted something in the time period. Did you watch that already?

I did not see that either. :)

But I am aware of it, so Kingdom first then if I want more… Watch Vikings. :)

Destiny is All!

Just because Last Kingdom uses historical names and such doesn’t make it more accurate. they are both dramas and action shows first and foremost. They both are fun shows for different reasons although Vikings has started to get long in the tooth so not disappointed this is last season.

Hmm, I would suggest it’s worth reading Bernard Cornwell’s Historical Notes, in the Last Kingdom books. He does good research, and it seems to me he might have gotten a little more right than just historical names.

Holy shit. I think I just watched the best TV series I’ve ever seen. Totally amazed it was not picked up for a second season. Just outstanding. Eight of the best episodes you’ll ever see. It’s Quarry. (Amazon link)

They give away the first episode for free, and you gotta pay for the other seven, but it was so totally worth it. Just please watch the first free episode, and know that it only gets better from there. Brilliantly done show.

Yeah, I’m a bit hyperbolic right now. And yeah, sure, there may be better shows than this one, but my mind is still reeling, and I honestly at this moment think that this is the best. Sue me. ;-)

An excellent show! There’s a small thread dedicated to this short-lived series:

You know what? I even posted in that thread! I had only watched the pilot at that time, and we didn’t get around to the rest until now. I didn’t even think to look for a dedicated thread, and just excitedly came here right away instead. Anyway, thanks. That thread has now been revived. This show deserves it.

I didn’t get no free episode 1 offer… those jerks. Regardless I will probably try a few episodes.

Sorry man. I guess that answers that. I wasn’t entirely certain whether you had to be a Prime member or not. I guess you do. Ep.1 (the pilot) always showed up free for me, so I assumed it would be for everyone else too. Not doing so is dumb of whoever made that decision. :(

I think it’s free on Youtube though, although you probably need to run through the $0.00 purchase process? I’ve only ever rented a movie once through YouTube, and it was a pain in the ass, so I’m not certain how that works these days. I think I ended up having to pay them through Amazon anyway, so I just said the hell with it, I’ll just rent what I can through Amazon instead.

I started a couple of Amazon shows that I had never gotten around to:

The Boys and Carnival Row.

Both are decent 2 episodes in…

Did anyone enjoy Tales from the Loop? I missed it when it first came out and I’m probably going to start watching it soon. I don’t recall hearing much discussion about it when it was fresh.

The Boys is awesome. Carnival Roy was ok, it’s very much Dickens but in a fantasy setting.

I think everybody liked Tales From the Loop except me. I found it boring. Also, go in knowing that it isn’t really sci-fi, or at least some of the episodes aren’t. It’s more of a family drama, really.

There’s a thread over here that probably has what you’re looking for.

Hey now, I was complaining about how boring it was a month ago. :) But I still enjoyed it, just had to keep myself busy playing a game while it was on in the background so I got the three minutes of story out of each hour without falling asleep.

I only made it through 3 episodes of Tales From the Loop before I expired from extreme boredom. I could see why some people would like it but it simply was too slow and I started to hate the music. It just wasn’t for me.

I am currently watching The Boys and except for a few moments of extreme violence for the sake of gore, I am liking it. Its nothing groundbreaking, basically an “absolute power corrupts absolutely” morality tale but its still pretty good.