The Amazon Prime Video thread

We watched it. I thought it was a bit wacky by the end. Then again Lost went down rabbit hole after rabbit hole and was still a good watch.

I was checking out the content that Prime added for January and one of my favorite movies is on the list.
Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb will be available in all its insanity. Its been awhile since I’ve seen it so its time to grab a bucket of popcorn and watch it again.

Timely.

I put that as my background in Zoom anytime my IT group declares a ‘war room’ for any outage or defect.

Ten to one you watch it and are completely numb. “This all seems pretty measured and normal these days.”

Sterling Hayden’s character will seem relative normal compared to the Q idiots!

Guns Akimbo has been popping up on my recommendations, probably because it has Daniel Radcliffe in it, and I finally sat down to watch it. It’s silly and violent and a whole lot of fun. Looks like it’s only been mentioned a couple of times around QT3, here and here, where @malkav11 and @Matt_W has basically the same reaction. Kinda reminded me of Kill Bill, with the over-the-top violence and crazy characters. Great way to spend 97 minutes.

I also watched I’m Your Woman, and man, was that a boring movie. I loved Rachel Brosnahan in Mrs Maisel but here she just looks alternately bored or scared. It takes forever to unfold the mystery, and when we start to learn stuff, I just didn’t care about it. Asshole unreliable husband was an unreliable asshole even in his previous life - who’d have guessed? Waste of 2 hours.

Lol, my gf and I tried to watch that over 3 successive nights and fell asleep each time. Total progression through the film was about 45 minutes. We’ve given up on it.

Qt3 fight! Best things you'll see all week: I'm Your Woman, Shadow in the Cloud

I’ve long since learned that Tom and I have nearly diametrically opposed movie tastes. I tried I’m Your Woman anyway 'cause of Brosnahan, but it did not work out.

The trailer for I’m Your Woman is hilarious. You can tell they’re trying to sell it as a thriller. Which it’s not. It’s got some thrilling scenes, but it’s really a movie about people talking to each other, and discovering their place in the world in the late 60s and early 70s, especially women and minorities, and especially characters normally on the margins of a crime thriller. But it’s easily one of the best movies of 2020, with an insightful script that makes me want to see other stuff Julia Hart has done.

Shadow in the Cloud, on the other hand…hoo boy! Pure pulp silliness. Anyone who got bored with I’m Your Woman is going to have no problem with Shadow in the Cloud. But they are definitely a double feature for reasons that I can’t talk about until you’ve seen them both.

-Tom

I was totally sold on your description of the film. I’ve long wanted something like Henchman: A Die Hard Story, that told the story of one of the nameless henchdudes who buys it at the end of John McClane’s gun. What led him to this life? Did he leave any family behind? How did his death affect them? We just couldn’t move past all the scenes in I’m Your Woman with dismal lighting and the leather-based color palette that’s supposed to invoke the 70’s. Brosnahan suffers too from being too recognizable and not terribly believable as someone who can play vulnerable well. I may return to it myself though because it’s not pace or subject that makes a film boring to me (Roma is my favorite film of the last decade). Your boosting @tomchick makes me want to stick it out.

I had never seen her before. I mean, I’d seen movies she’d been in with some sort of thankless supporting role, but I’d never noticed her before. So she was a revelation for me. I thought her performance was fascinating for being someone vacuous shocked into a new perspective on the world.

I presume you know her from the Mrs. Maisel series? I’m guessing she doesn’t play a character like her character in I’m Your Woman?

-Tom

Lol. Midge Maisel is a steamroller. :)

And yeah, it’s interesting how she uses some of the same expressions to signal “naive vacuous” in I’m Your Woman and “clever vacuous” in Mrs. Maisel. Kind of undermines the former. I really like her as an actress–she’s super expressive. But that does make it hard to disappear into a role now that she has some renown.

It was apparently a festival circuit thing that probably never got a wide theatrical release (whether it would have if COVID hadn’t hit, I couldn’t say). I just happened to have an Alamo by me with a program where they’d pull cool festival movies like that for a week. Glad it’s more widely accessible now.

I am 2/3 done with I’m Your Woman and I think it’s brilliant.

There. Now the internet knows my opinion.

Clip from the new Amazon animated super hero show from the Walking Dead folks.

Huh. Interesting that they’re doing it animated. I hope that that doesn’t mean it’s aimed at a younger audience than the comic, which can get pretty dark (at times, it’s not a constant gloomfest, and there’s plenty of jokes and callbacks). Also that sure sounds like J.K. Simmons as the dad.

Which will be interesting, considering where that character goes.

This teaser trailer gets bloody at times:

Pretty stacked cast too, besides Steven Yuen as Mark and JK Simmons as Nolan.

Mahershala Ali as Titan
Clancy Brown as Damien Darkblood
Nicole Byer as Vanessa & Fiona
Jeffrey Donovan as Machine Head
Jonathan Groff as Rick Sheridan
Jon Hamm as Steve
Djimon Hounsou as Martian Emperor
Ezra Miller as D.A. Sinclair
Zachary Quinto as Robot
Khary Payton as Black Samson
Zazie Beetz as Amber Bennett
Chris Diamantopolous as Doc Seismic
Walton Goggins as Cecil Steadman
Grey Griffin as Shrinking Rae & Amanda (Monster Girl as Girl)
Kevin Michael Richardson as Mauler 1, Mauler 2 & Monster Girl (as Monster)
Mark Hamill as Art
Gillian Jacobs as Atom Eve
Melise as Dulpi-Kate
Jason Mantzoukas as Rex Splode
Andrew Rannells as William Clockwell
Seth Rogen as Allen the Alien

Did anyone read the Comics? Are they worth buying? I read into one sample from amazon but couldn’t make up my mind if it would old my interest. Is it just another superhero or does it have a special twist?