The Amazon Prime Video thread

Amazon buys MGM, as rumored. Prime is only going to get better. That’s a lot of content and a lot of IP they’ve grabbed.

That’s couch money compared to what AT&T paid for Time Warner.

Modern-day MGM is a couch-change company compared to Warners, though. It doesn’t even own full rights to Bond (the Broccoli family still controls the creative end.)

Yeah, even ignoring the pandemic, in 2019, MGM had total revenue of $1.5bn and made a $428m loss (after a $120m profit the year before). In the same year Warner Media had $35bn in revenues and contributed operating profit of $10.7bn. It’s a completely different scale of business (not to mention profitability).

Also, it’s really quite astonishing how thin their present movie slate is. In 2019 their entire theatrical revenue was $21.7m (vs $29.5m the year before). They made $414m in TV licensing of older movies. So it’s not the sort of business that’s going to attract a high multiple, because it’s basically all back catalogue. The TV production/distribution side looks a bit healthier.

Oh, and they also have $2bn of debt.

As of end 2019:

I don’t know about you, but Bond aside none of those sound like guaranteed bank. Creed II did fairly well, so that might be their best shot.

MGM has long been the runt of the major studios. Its glory days are decades in the past. They’ve got the back catalog and they’ve got Bond. But even in the 90s and aughts, they didn’t have much of a production slate.

I’d love another Thomas Crown Affair, and Brosnan is still young enough!

Even the Pierce Brosnan one was a remake. Talk about milking your IP.

Another Robocop reboot? I guess that would help explain the financial woes.

Dude, there’s always room for another Robocop movie…

I’m excited about Candyman, but doubt it’ll be a major box office hit, no.

I want to give Candyman a fair shake, but I love the original movie so much it’s hard to see how this one will match up.

I don’t know that it will, but I think it’s important that they aren’t just doing a basic remake. It’s a different take on the ideas, and that makes me way more interested.

I’m excited

Most importantly, this paves the way for more Stargate!

Oh, that would be nice. But so many years later, what exactly has happened in that universe since then?

Have we colonized the stars?

I think the Destiny is still in the black between galaxies right now.

I guess that is cool… But I have always was an SGA person.

In that case, that one guy became Aquaman. Everyone else was harvested?

Yeah, but the other guy became the God of War.

And now we have a grudge match worth watching!

Wow, man. I am glad those guys still like each other enough to get back and make new material. I will definitely watch whatever they want to make.