The Amazon Prime Video thread

MGM’s catalog contains over 4,000 movies and over 17,000 TV shows. While the vast majority of those are probably not properties that would merit serious consideration for remake/revival, Amazon still can dole them out for viewing on Prime over time, perhaps attracting/keeping subscribers, while they work on identifying the properties that would be worth investing in reviving. This was a content grab meant to bring them more in line with Netflix and HBO Max more than a play for any particular IP Amazon thinks is super valuable.

That said, man I would kill for a revival of the Stargate franchise. It has been far too long…

Hell yes. I was just bemoaning the limited number of classic films I currently have access to. Here’s to hoping they start doling some of these out sooner rather than later.

At least in the UK, MGM already had its own streaming service, in the form of a channel on Amazon, so it should be quicker than HBOMax, which was tied up by a contract with Sky

I’d like to watch the 2011 All Men are Brothers remake from China. When I google it I get that it is streaming on Prime. However when I go to Prime Video it is not showing in my region. I’ve tested the US, Canada, the UK, and Korea using a VPN. Note that while I’m physically in Korea a VPN to the US is fine for allowing me to watch Invincible so it is not simply that Amazon blocks VPNs.

Yeah, I don’t see that show as available on US Prime.

What exactly do you mean by that? What result are you relying on? From JustWatch.com, it seems like it was available in the UK until relatively recently, but it’s not now. Also maybe available in Japan.

I’m pretty sure Amazon Prime Video ties viewing entitlement to your account location, not your IP address. So unless you have an account in the relevant country, it won’t work.

I can’t even browse amazon.com when I have my VPN on.

Thanks. I had forgotten about JustWatch. Mostly I was going by first page of Google results giving me results from amazon.com

I have no problem using my VPN to connect from Korea to the US but the account is based in the US.

Amazon keeps a block list of IP addresses associated with VPN pops. It’s an incomplete list, though, so usually there is another pop that works fine. It’s kind of game of whack-a-mole, where Amazon identifies VPN pops and VPN service providers spin up new ones.

So it looks like Amazon is giving away (well, 0.99/month) channel subscriptions for Prime Day.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/video/storefront/ref=dvm_us_eg_cs_othr_pr_pmdmoda?contentType=merch&contentId=deals&merchId=deals

There’s a bunch in there: Showtime, Starz, Paramount+, AMC…notably no HBO, though.

It says you can cancel any time, so I suppose you can just do the two months for two bucks and then cancel. Unless someone sees a fine print that I’m missing?

Seems to be 99p for three months in the UK. But I’ve already seen everything I want to on both Shudder and Starz using the free trials. Well, except Psycho Goreman, which I don’t want to see that badly.

Will try a couple out, thanks!

I have subscribed to channels thru Prime and it’s quite easy. Finding the channels is the hard part but you can subscribe and instantly have access. Cancelling is easy too. In fact, when I cancelled Starz about 2 weeks ago they asked me if I wanted to ride out the month or cancel immediately and get a refund of my subscription (I picked the second option).

Britbox still shows as $6.99/month for me :(

So it’s $.99 for each of the channels? For some reason I read it as that for all those channels lol. Still a great deal.

Yep. For the next two months I’m paying $2.97 for Starz, AMC, and Showtime. I’ll never watch everything off those three that I’m interested in before it expires, but I’ll do my best! Already into American Gods.

Offerman better start hydrating now.

TIL where the Flop House peaches got their name. I really should watch A League Of Their Own at some point.

I watched this and it was not super horrible. Also Statham has hair in the beginning!

Watched Chris Pratt, Yvonne Strahovski and J.K. Simmons (in yet another perfect J.K. Simmons role!) in The Tomorrow War over the weekend.

It was pretty much about what you would expect from a summer blockbuster, big budget action and effects as the main focus with a story that wasn’t too difficult to follow and served fine as a plot device as long as you didn’t try to think about it for too long. It is most certainly a “turn off your brain and enjoy the action and occasional laugh” type of movie, and there is nothing at all wrong with that. I do wonder though if this was always meant to be an Amazon thing, or if this was supposed to be a 2020 summer blockbuster in theaters and Amazon simply bought it for themselves when the pandemic killed the summer movies last year?

That last act though…yikes. A nerdy high school kid who is way too into volcanoes solves a mystery in 10 minutes that Earth’s best scientists couldn’t solve in the 3+ years since the White Spikes emerged? I mean, at any point they could have done the analysis the tech guy and the kid did and sent “future force” back to annihilate the aliens at the source. That was some sloppy writing even for a summer action flick.