The Apple Gaming Mac

Is it possible that Apple is actually working on an optimized iMac Pro for game developers and someone got confused?

True, which is why I think the article is BS. I think a prosumer Mac Pro would be more likely, and even that I don’t think there is a chance in hell of happening.

So is this being marketed to the PC Gamers who only game on PC because there aren’t similarly equipped Macs (no one), or the Mac users who wish they could run their extensive library of Mac games at higher settings (no one)?

No, it’s a rumor, it’s not being marketed to anyone.

Hi.

I have a gaming PC, so I don’t usually game on my Mac, but…I would buy a low-end Mac Pro in a second for way too much money (I would not buy the computer this rumor is suggesting though). I would put a decent video card in it as well as drives just for running Bootcamp.

As I said above, I have 303 Mac games on Steam (71% of my library). I see people talk about gaming all the time on Macs in the various Apple forums. It might not be the reason people buy Macs, but they do use them to game.

It’s cheaper probably to just buy a gaming PC for playing games, and keep your Mac stuff for doing non-game stuff.

As someone who used Macs from a young age, this is the only reasonable strategy. It also precedes giving up on Macs for the non-gaming stuff. They are so, so, incredibly expensive.

Currently I run a gaming PC ($2000 without monitor) and an iMac ($2500 with monitor). It’s really not any cheaper. It’s not about money though.

Well, that 2K gaming machine runs circles around the iMac in terms of computing and graphics power. And you can still make a machine that runs circles around that iMac, and is an extremely formidable gaming machine, for a lot less than $2K.

It’s not about power either. I enjoy using my Mac. I like the look of it. I like the OS, software, the way it integrates with my phone, etc.

My PC I built just to run Excel and game. I don’t care about it, it’s just a tool. I adore my Mac. I know that sounds cheesy, but I do.

If it’s going to cost $5000, can’t you get a killer PC gaming rig for significantly less than that?

I find that for my home use for non-gaming stuff, a Chromebook works really well for 95% of what I want to do.

Is there any easy way to find out what percentage of your gaming library has Mac os versions? I would like to try.

I’m not sure there are any combination of components on the market that you could pay more than about $3500 for.

I guess you can always get a bigger hard drive, or keep adding ram.

Biggest solid state drive, best video card on the market, double the ram the latest games recommend, and a huge monitor – what are we talking?

GPUs, HEDT CPUs, super low timing RAM for e-peen bragging rights and NVIDIA Big Format Gaming Displays with G-Sync (not FreeSync) HDR and 4K will raise the cost the most. You could get 95% of that gaming performance for <$3000.

This is just eyeballing it, but an overclocked RTX 2080ti is around $1200. The i9-9900K is around $500. 32gb of DDR4 is $165. A 4tb Samsung SSD is around $600. That’s a little over $2500. Add a grand for a monitor and a big enough power supply to run it all and you’re there.

I assume the other $1500 is for all the brushed aluminum.

+$400 for wheels

This is obviously some type of rumor created by trolls.

Or you can do what I did. Build a Hackintosh for under USD $1500 and dual boot to Windows for games that only run on Windows.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/

I can only go up to High Sierra though. Apple refuses to support Nvidia cards on Catalina and above. I think High Sierra will be my last Mac. I’ll move back to Linux for work and Windows for games.

Interesting. How does newer versions of Mac OS handle AMD GPUs?

The AMD GPU’s are aupported. You’ll be able to build a high powered CPU with all the wheels at a fraction of what Apple will charge you.