The Arma 3 hype thread

Overthrow, followed by Antistasi, are the main SP open-world mods. (Antistasi, though has a real problem in that it’s forked about four different ways and all of them have critical strengths and weakness.)

Also: prepare yourself for a whole new world of jank. Don’t expect things to make sense. There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Arma way.

Is there one you’d recommend?

Go with Overthrow. In the meantime, just run through the campaigns packaged with Arma. They’re not all that bad. Woory about mods and stuff later.

Oh yeah totally doing vanilla stuff first, just wanna tag them in Workshop for use later.

The Old Man DLC is much more polished and less janky than Overthrow and Antistasi - you’d hope so being an official campaign. Plus all the people swearing in French makes the 15 year old schoolboy in me giggle.

Oh wait Old Man is official?

Yes. It’s a beta “incubator” project being done by the team.

Neat!

So I did the bootcamp prologue thing, and am now in the East Wind campaign. Wow this is fun. And scary. Aaand janky. They don’t explain things well, so I died a LOT until I realized by accident that hitting the RMB twice lets you look down your scope. After that I fared better.

Is there a specific order one should take the campaigns in? There are quite a few of them.

They made a tutorial campaign, you should play it before east wind. I think there was some other training or tutorial option, can’t remember.

The bootcamp prologue campaign is the tutorial campaign isn’t it?

With that name, I’m going to guess that’s it. I don’t have the game installed to check.

Based on the research I did awhile ago, I assume this is a keyboard-and-mouse only game? My elbow is pretty screwed and I’m really only able to use Xbox controller games now.

I use an Xbone controller to fly helis, but I would think it would be difficult to do infantry with one. That said, I’ve never actually tried it. Seems like aiming would be tough. Always room for good heli pilots though :)

Ohhhhh, good to know you can use the gamepad to fly helos. I’m very excited to try those.

Yeah, it made flying much easier for me. As usual with ARMA there was some head-scratching to get it to recognize and set up my controller but once I got that sorted I did much better. Still manage to crash an awful lot of em ;)
There is a great mission you can download on the workshop that is set up to practice flying where you pick a chopper and do a bunch of practice runs picking up troops and dropping them off, sometimes under fire. Highly recommend that one, and one of the various firing range missions that let you play with all the toys. Good way to figure out yer gear before you are in the middle of a fight wondering how to adjust the range on your grenade launcher etc.

Ohhh, might you link that please?

Here’s the heli one I was using:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192094335

And it apparently has a new multiplayer version:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761149851

Cheers!

Thanks much!

The troop transport helicopter mission in the… thing that introduces stuff - Tutorial? Armory? - was a lot of fun. I played it many times over, with M&K too.

In fact as 🎅 provided a shiny new 2080S, I think I’ll reinstall :)