The Assorted "WTF, 2021?" Thread

Pfft, I did that all the time in The Crew 2.

-Tom

They did throw out Appalachia as a possibility, but I imagine that’s just lip service. It would make a hell of a lot more sense considering there is actual water and arable land.

The dramatic intervention came hours after Brazil’s health authorities had said four England-based players for Argentina had to quarantine.

“Locked on target.”

Yeah, the thing I most enjoyed is how dead his face was during the flight, you know he had zero percent brain power left for anything other than keeping that line. Then he bursts out and gets some altitude and suddenly he’s a real human again.

Edit: This video from over in the Video thread seems to be longer and shows more of the laser focus:

“Hey guys, remember how for the last 50 years or so we’ve told you to buy things to make you happy? Not so much right now.”

Super easy grift.

(1) Hire a firm to design a megacity.
(2) Put a magic spin on it with a huge investment value.
(3) Convince stupid people to part with $100 million.
(4) Pay yourself $99M project fees. Pay architect $1M.
(5) Corporate Bankruptcy.

Ta-da!

Of course, if he is indeed going for $480B in investments - that is going to be a crazy hard sell.

I am, admittedly, ignorant of many things, but isn’t Las Vegas essentially a city in the middle of the desert?

Las Vegas has a bit more of a history than simply sprouting out of the sand, though. It says right there on Wikipedia so it must be true.

CBS News: Authorities race to contain deadly Nipah virus outbreak in India.

Estimated 40-70% case fat rate
Pigs and bats
Even food can get contaminated

And so it does. tyvm.

If we’re taking nominations for “cities in the middle of the desert that shouldn’t exist”, my vote is for Phoenix.

These days, that case can certainly be made. Historically, it’s built on the Salt River and has the Aqua Fria river to the immediate west. Both of those rivers are dry now, with all the water being captured upstream.

Heck, in 1993, the Salt flooded sufficiently that it took out the Mill Avenue bridge that was under construction.

Phoenix was named because the developer discovered long abandoned canals from Native Americans (like 13-17th C), Martian Chronicles style, and called it Phoenix because the city was “rising from the ashes” of a long dead civilization.

That is not what I learned in Arizona History in high school. Phoenix was originally named Pumpkinville (really), which burned to the ground. The rebuilt city was named Phoenix.

$10 says some resident started that fire just so they could maintain their self-respect.

Not taking that bet. ;)

A picture of the town’s original founder

Too early for flapjacks, I’m sure.