The Assorted "WTF, 2021?" Thread

These 3 men panicked because one kid was ordered to quarantine.

So basically, they are scared that they will be treated like the plague rats they are. Banned from polite society.

Anyone got some spare change?

He should sell jpegs of the houses to n raise funds.

I imagine with all the excess water we have it should be easy to divert some to the middle of the desert to support this.

I like how everyone is all “man, this is a real pickle” but it’s going to end in people being forced to leave certain areas en masse.

Wait, “like” is probably the wrong word. Oh yeah, it’s “hate”.

This is kind of the billionaire vision of the future: a shiny new place for a few million people to frolic after everyone else has died.

At least we’ll get a great documentary about it after.

Cockroach Herodotus liked this post.

It was bound for someone to import Middle Eastern “futurist” construction boondoggles to the US.

Why the desert? It’s only going to get hotter there. Why not buy up land in Montana? Then you get interesting wild areas to enjoy and Montana will become warmer in winter as we get global warming. It will be easier to sustain the city with nearby farming too as things get hotter.

Anyway, the whole thing sounds crazy. It does sound like a place for the wealthy to retreat to.

I mean yeah, it’s insane. And yet somehow he got an actual architectural firm to draw up some concepts, I would assume with the promise that they’ll get a bunch of the promised $480 billion.

Nevermind the fact that this guy could turn almost any city in the US into his dream by injecting nearly half a trillion dollars into it. San Jose could become a “15-minute city” with that kind of investment.

Or he could solve homelessness, or child hunger, or basically any major problem in the US.

But instead he wants to make Elysium, or any number of other terrible movies, a real thing: a city of rich people without any of the problems other cities have. Or as others have realized, he basically wants to build Dubai in the US.

Good luck to him getting the $400B. I guess he will sell plots of land to fund part of it. Buy your half acre to build your dream house. We promise all the servant class will be homed far away from you and bused in to clean and cook for you.

Basically what San Francisco is turning into. “Normal” people like teachers, firefighters, police, waitstaff, cleaners, etc. can’t afford to live anywhere near the city.

And yet there are still blocks and blocks that are nearly curb-to-curb drug needles and human waste.

This is a fair question, since Montana already is to some extent a refuge of wealthy whites seeking to shut the rest of the world out.

And game as well!

Bioshock: Finite

“I’m Vishnevsky!”

This was an interesting thing to do in a plane:

I can’t imagine there are many firms doing that kind of work on spec. I would assume they got paid their standard rate.

He wants to go out in the middle of nowhere where land is still cheap and be able to sell 0.1 acre lots for $100,000 a pop after buying 10 sections of land for $25,000.

This is the scene from Gallipoli that comes to mind upon reading some billionaire imbecile fancies the idea of building his own little paradise in the desert:

The last line being my take on this city of his.