The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

Thanks, Thanos.

yeah, I was thinking that same thing. With the theme in IW being the hero won’t sacrifice one person to save many, in the sequel the time rewind will have a price to pay and the hero will sacrifice themselves for one person. So Spidey returns, but Iron Man is toast.

Didn’t Zeke go on about a multiverse though?

The snap seems like a short sighted solution. Thanos’ll have to snap in a few hundred years when the population gets out of hand again. Should’ve just snapped in a new cosmic reality that each couple can only birth a single kid.

Or, like, snap to double the resources?

The real problem is that his motivations were reverse-engineered from the desired action. How do we justify him wanting to wipe out half the universe, if we can’t invoke Death? It’s not a perfect fit.

Having said that, you can get around most of the oddities by accepting that he’s mad. There are other solutions available to someone with the power of the gauntlet, but he’s so scarred from what happened on Titan (and their failure to implement his plan) that he’s unable to see them. He’s fixated.

This movie and subsequent “what if” analysis reminds me so much of when the Matrix first came out. And then Matrix reloaded and for a year, we all dreamed up far more intricate and amazing ways the movie could go.

Well, we all know what happened when the final Matrix movie was released: we realized we had wasted a year thinking of this movie.

I hope this one isn’t the same, but I don’t have a lot of confidence.

Why don’t you have confidence? Where have they truly failed with these films before?

This is my feeling. Am I concerned, a little, but Marvel and Disney, they’ve earned my trust. They haven’t lost it yet. If this was the X-men, or the Matrix, or a number of others frachises, but right now, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. Whether they get that for, what are they out to now, 2025, so for another 7 years, not sure… they have it now though.

I might be wrong about this, but it seems the movie’s internal consistency wants you to believe otherwise. Doesn’t he explain to Gamora how her home planet has prospered and become a paradise since his population “rollback”?

John C. Reilly and Peter Serafinowicz, nooooooo!

-Tom

OK I may be about a half dozen MCU movies behind everyone else, but I did see the first Guardians, and I’m pretty sure Peter Serafanowicz died when Halt and Catch Fire flew his big ship through that fish net made of spaceships.

It will be interesting to see how the “snap” impacts Earth in the MCU. Does it become better for the remaining folks due to the freed up resources and population culling, or does it spiral into a post-apocalyptic planet due to the heavy losses? I suspect we’ll just get a less dour Leftovers with most humans trying to live normally with lots of emotional baggage.

Peter Serafinowicz, nooooooo x2!

I guess the upside is that there’s no danger of a Marvel movie interfering with his ability to crank out those awesome sassy Trump videos.

-Tom

Thanos wants you to believe it. He does in fact speechify to Gamora about the paradise her planet has become. The movie never shows us that paradise, though, nor does it support his views in any explicit way that I can recall.

Oh.

Am I forgetting some part of the movie when Thanos lies to someone? Why would he lie to Gamora? On the contrary, he seems brutally candid with her. He might be a murderer, torturer, and intergalactic conquerer, but a liar? I think you’re confusing Thanos with Loki.

Seems to me the movie wants us to believe Thanos has a point. Which is dumb if you ask me. But as I mentioned on the podcast, I think we’re supposed to accept his premise because the movie is a kind of thought experiment.

-Tom

I’m not sure they want us to believe that Thanos has a point but rather that he has proof enough to himself of his “success” that he should follow through on a universal scale.

There’s a difference between the character believing it and it being objectively true. I don’t think Thanos is lying about his motives or what he believes he has accomplished, but that doesn’t mean that’s what’s actually the case. I’m also reasonably sure he does lie to people in the movie (in fact, I swear he at one point literally says to someone “I lied”, but I can’t remember the context so it might be a different movie or character), but it’s getting fuzzy enough that I won’t say it definitely occurs. I mean, he’s definitely not an inveterate liar like Loki. Mostly, he’s very matter of fact about his intentions. But he’s willing to do whatever it takes, and deception is part of what it takes sometimes. Not very often, because he’s so powerful. But sometimes.

It seems like Thanos is better off having Gamora in the soul stone (which I assume can be rectified at some point in typical comic ways) than a 50/50 chance of her dying during the big snap. That assumes he didn’t pick whom would live or die during the mass kill off.

If you’re going to apply that criteria, you’re going to have to infer that almost all dialogue in movies, books, and TV is lies. That should make for some, uh, interesting plots.

My point is that there’s nothing in the internal logic of the movie to imply Thanos’ solution isn’t effective, is there? That’s the point of a thought experiment. The old “let’s say for the sake of argument” disclaimer. By refusing the premise, you’re not participating in the thought experiment.

-Tom