The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

It’s Captain Marvel’s symbol on Fury’s space-pager.

Only thing I know about Captain Marvel is from playing LEGO Avengers, and her levels were fun. Doesn’t she have a solo movie coming along soon?

I bet Thanos didn’t use the gauntlet to destroy half of the remaining population of worlds that he’s already killed half of. He seems pretty single-minded about just wiping out half as a terrible but necessary cost for survival, not vindictive or careless enough to double up on anyone he’s already “fixed”.

Thanks, he was so long ago, that I did not recognize it, and actually had to Google what it was…

Next March.

OTOH, Drax.

I don’t think Thanos targeted specifically with the finger snap. I think it was half of all life, generally.

Has anyone commented on the fact that it seems like the Avengers that are left alive are the ones whose contracts are coming up to end, while the ones who disintegrated have more movie projects coming up

Affirmative.

Yeah but like Gamora’s planet and the Asgardians and the other places he’s already visited, it doesn’t seem like he would half an already half. That’s not balance!

Also his snap of finger move was not instant, like all at once.

I’m saying I don’t think he picked who vanished.

Sure, not an individual person but he’d have to exclude the ones, planets, species, races, he already fixed or the math wouldn’t work…

I wonder what the significance of the damage and fatigue to the gauntlet will be going forward. Because post snap it looked beat to hell.

So I’m guessing that will somehow be relevant in IW2, that Thanos expended a considerable portion of the gauntlets power, and so would be unable to do something so extensive going forward.

I don’t think it was that directed. I think it was exactly half of the life in the universe, randomly assigned. But I suppose we’ll see.

Consensus seems to be that there’ll be a time travel or multiverse plot in the next movie, where the current survivors will have to sacrifice themselves to save the current disintegrated.

Cue lots of tears etc and a wrap up off the old guard, ushering in the new.

Also, I think that Thanos’ idea of balance and a solution to the problem of limited resources are… skewed. I mean, he is a villain, after all.

You can’t just kill a completely random half of a planet’s population or a civilization (for “fairness”) and expect to accomplish paradise. Some people are more important to the successful operation of civilization than others. Some people have longer to live, consume more or less resources, etc. So there already isn’t actually a balance.

And then of course we already have seen at least one example of him not halving a population (he kills all but one of the dwarves on Nidavellir) and it’s not clear that he’s been very picky about the killing on Knowhere, the Asgardian refugee ship, or his offscreen assault on the Nova Corps for the Power gem.

Well he’s insane, but the part that makes his vision work is… the theory is horrific but it’s not like it’s so far fetched that you can’t see how he got there or you can’t understand what his idea of fairness is. He’d also have to stick around for 100s of generations so he could do it again too, like a wipe every millennium or so. his idea of balance is pretty clear.

Now this group is supposed to be strong right because they’ve successfully stood up to zero villains.

I think the killing was random, but I assume there was an allowance for a normal distribution. The dwarves (99.667% killed) and Xandar (assumed 100%) were on the high end of the bell curve, most other planets including Earth were in the middle, and there are probably a handful of planets where only one guy died.

“Where’d Steve go?”
“I dunno, but I feel like our planet is rich as shit now!”

I have to say, Thanos makes a lot of sense when I’m stuck in traffic on I-93.

“Hey, why is traffic so much worse on I-93 these days??”

“Well, the metering lights broke, and the guy that fixes them got killed by Thanos. Plus we got all these wrecks on the freeway from when people vanished, and now half our tow truck drivers are gone. And the looting started as soon as half the people vanished, so the police force is having trouble keeping up, and now we have all these unlicensed drivers on the road! I tell ya, things was a lot better before that Thanos guy came along!”