The Bird Thread (That is Interesting)

I meant to reply to this earlier. Yes Beaker was a cuddly sucker.

Actually we had a local pet store that sold a lot of pet food, but had open top enclosures with birds. Of course they were all babies, more or less. The thing with parrots is they they will eventually bond with store employees. This is not good. So young birds, of whatever breed, were expensive. Then the price would go down. :)

We went there one day and heard some loud squeaking. That was Beaker and his brood having recently hatched.

Beaker was a cross between a bare eyed cockatoo and a sulfur crested. The thought was to use the bare eyed gene to mellow the sulfur crested… sharpness? When Beaker was getting older I would visit him every week. To the point that when the wife and I came in he would shout HELLO! HELLO!

They all had their wings clipped of course, but Beaker would jump on me from the tank.

At some point I was cuddling with him at the shop and the (wonderful) wife asked, how much do you want him? I was like how much? And the owner said, he’s getting a bit old.

So I got Beaker for $1200 instead of $2000.

The rest is history. Or at least a story for another day. :)

If it was a dog maybe I could commit to 20+ years.

So a long time ago, it was still legal to import wild caught parrots into the US for sale in pet stores. I believe in 1992, it became illegal, and ever since then, all legally purchased birds in the US are domestically bred here.

Back in 1990 or so, a friend’s brother had gone into a dodgy pet shop nearby and purchased a red masked conure on the cheap. He named this bird “Bourque” because he was a Bruins fan.

It took almost no time at all for him to lose interest in this bird, because it turned out Bourque was a wild caught bird, and he couldn’t interact with him at all, because all Bourque wanted to do was bite him all the time. Because, y’know, he was a wild animal and all. I was about 20 years old at the time, and up until that point, all my birds had been budgies, but I had a growing interest in the larger birds. I offered to buy Bourque from him, and he was more than happy to unload him. I paid him $75 for both Bourque and his cage.

I had no interest in having a bird named after a hockey star, but I kept the name and just started spelling it “Bork”. ;)

Bork was, understandably, terrified of everything and everyone. I did not have any other birds at that time, so all of my attention was his. I was slow and patient with him. I got bit. A lot. Like, really, really, a lot. I never forced him to do anything, but tried to work with him a little bit each day.

It was so long ago that I can no longer recall how long the taming process took. Weeks, for sure, probably a couple of months. But one day, Bork willingly stepped on to my hand, and didn’t bite me. Things only got better from there.

He took food from my hand, and then became comfortable sitting on my shoulder. He became comfortable interacting with my entire family. (I was living at home then, finishing my last two years of college where I commuted to school instead of living on campus.) My mother was particularly enamored with him.

He was a fixture in the house, and was always interested in eating whatever we were eating, like anything.

I’ve owned several parrots in my time, but without a doubt, Bork remains the most gentle and loving soul I’ve ever had. More so than any of my hand raised birds. I don’t know if it’s because our bond was so strong because it was based on trust, or what, but god, I loved that bird.

My fondest memory of Bork is this: One day, I was lounging on the couch watching TV, and Bork was on my shoulder. I had my hands resting on my lap or stomach or something… some lazy posture. Bork started climbing down from my shoulder, down the front of my chest toward my hands. He reached one of my hands and very gingerly picked up my index finger in his beak and started backing up. Obviously he couldn’t “carry” my entire hand, but I decided to play along and see what he was up to.

Holding my finger gently, he started backing up, heading back toward my shoulder. I let him “carry” my hand all the way back up there, and when he got there… he put my hand down and thrust his head under my fingers, demanding scritches. My heart melted and I was only too happy to oblige.

I never in a million years would have expected a bird taken from its home in the jungle to become the most affectionate animal I’ve had the pleasure to care for.

Rufus joined my flock after a few months (he was a gift from my brother for my 21st birthday) followed by Mickey a few months later (she was a gift from my parents for my college graduation). Mickey and Bork, being both conures (though different breeds) got along famously. (I have many pictures of Mickey and Bork together, but I will have to big some of them out and scan them, since they are from the time before widespread digital photos. The ones I’ve posted here I scanned previously so happen to have them handy.)

Not long after that, Bork became ill, and the vet did not know what was wrong with him. He was lethargic and losing weight, despite eating normally. The vet ran test after test after test in an effort to find his malady and could never come up with anything. She tried all sorts of treatments. One involved me having to give him a shot in his chest, just next to his breastbone, daily (which broke my heart, but Bork was a trooper.) That one didn’t pan out, so she tried an oral medication that I gave him with a plastic syringe. That one went easier, because it turned out Bork loved the taste of it, and after he’d have his daily dose, he’d take the syringe from me and lick the end of it, hehe.

None of it helped, and he died in my hands one day. A necropsy after the fact revealed that he had Proventricular Dilatation Disease (also called Macaw Wasting Syndrome), which he probably brought with him from the jungle. At the time, there was no test for it, which is why she couldn’t diagnose it. And it is, to this day, still incurable. I spent a lot of money trying to save Bork, and even though he couldn’t be cured, I don’t regret a single penny of it. I didn’t add any more birds to my flock until 1997 when Beaker joined the family, for fear that Bork had perhaps transmitted PDD to Rufus or Mickey, but after several years, they remained healthy.

Bork is the greatest bird I have ever owned (don’t tell Beaker). I miss him every day.

Me, Bork and Mickey circa 1992 sometime. Mickey was under a year old here. I never did know how old Bork was… how could I? (Please ignore the terrible photo of me and my poofy 90s hair.)

KrisBirds

This is how the bird brain works.

So, now is a good time to tell the story of Peanut Bird. I got him about 2.5 years ago - he was about a year and a half at the time. He had spent the previous year with a prior owner who returned him to the parrot store saying he was biting too much.

When I first saw him at the parrot store, he was gliding down away from people who wanted to interact with him (the parrot store had the parrots in an open area where people could approach them) and hiding under the rolling cages. The store clerks were trying to get him to come out from under and not having any luck. They were to the point where one young guy went to the back room for a broom to scare Peanut out from under and I intervened; I stepped in and crouched down as low as my weight would allow and talked softly to Peanut for a while. He started paying attention and began to come out, so the clerks held off. I kept at it and eventually he came out from under the cages. He wouldn’t climb on my finger at first but after a while he climbed onto my shoe. Then, with more patience and soft talk he climbed onto my finger.

I put him back on his stand and not long after that one of the store customers (a youngster) made a sudden motion and Peanut was off again, gliding down to hide under the cages.

So back down to a crouch I went and talked him out of there a second time. This time once he got brave enough to leave his shelter, he came straight to my shoe and climbed on.

He was a rescue bird and I knew that good beginning was not going to prevent a long bonding process but at that point I had to have him. The store gave me a substantial discount and I took him home.

At first he was skittish, even around me, and it took a few weeks to get him to step up onto my finger but then he was still quite fearful of other people. Over time, as his fear diminished he became semi-aggro and started being bitey with minor provocation. Also, as I worked with him I became convinced that his underlying issue was loneliness - he had been alone in his cage without a lot of attention and became isolated, then when the prior owner tried to intereact, he became fearful and bitey.

Basically the answer was patience and attention. A LOT of freaking patience and attention. But eventually he became pretty chill around me and much less isolated. I started taking him to the open board gaming potluck we had at a local community college so he could see other people from his carrier and hopefully lose his fear. I also started taking him to a friends house when I played board games. The inevitable happened and everyone wanted to pet him etc. It took a while (more to train the humans than the avian) but eventually it got to the point where Peanut would hang out with folks at the board gaming meet up and he became a regular. He’s now pretty well socialized.

There is one problem however. He just doesn’t like Pinkerton. Does Not Like Him. And although Pinkerton outweighs Peanut 3 to 1 with a commensurate advantage in beak size and bite power, Peanut acts like he wants to CUT Pinkie. They cannot be allowed to play together. Now that Peanut has regained the power of flight during the virus lockdown he sometimes flies to Pinkerton’s cage and bullies him.

The parrot store is soon to be open for wing trimming again so I’ll get that issue addressed, but as for peace between birds, sadly that is not to be.

Peanut is a good little dude to me but he just doesn’t like the cut of Pinkerton’s jib.

That’s a great story. :) Beaker, Mickey and Rufus never “got along” with one another. They all shared a room, but had separate cages, but they didn’t actively go after each other. Rufus had the potential to be an instigator, on the rare occasions he end up on Mickey’s or Beaker’s cage, but in general they left each other alone. But they did definitely recognize each other as “members of the flock”. Beaker would often say things like “Mickey! Pipe down!” (if Mickey started screaming for some reason) and he’d also say “Rufus!” in an admonishing voice, if he was getting a bit too rambunctious. Interestingly, Beaker immediately stopped saying either Mickey’s or Rufus’ name once they passed away. He very clearly knew who they were, and their names.

But it was only ever Mickey and Bork who became great friends during the short time I had them both.

This cannot be stressed enough.

I found my Scooby pictures.

scooby1

Scooby was also known as We Are Just Going To Look. This is what the wife told me when we went to the pet store. We drove home with a cage and all the fixings. And a box with a quaker chewing her way out.

Scooby after a bath.

Scooby loved her baths. She’d get in a big bowl and proceed to soak us and the kitchen floor. Something else that Scooby loved was…

…humping a green plastic toy. We called it her boyfriend. Eventually we wrapped it in a sock. She would get really… carried away. We worried that she might injure her… parts.
I’m gonna spoiler this next part. Kinda sad.

Sadly Scooby passed away one day. I saw her on the bottom of her cage feebly flapping her wings. I picked her up in my cupped hands and that was it. I was inconsolable. I cried off and on for over a week. Even now I am tearing up. My first and greatest parrot love.

The sandhill crane family comes for a visit.

Omg, I love them. <3

Also Scooby is adorable. Rufus used to enjoy humping sneakers. He liked the knots in the laces.

Also, Beaker is adorable too, if I haven’t said so. In fact, every bird in this thread is adorable. Moar birbs please! :D

Maybe you guys are the audience for Wingspan…

As did I for a while. Then they would stand in the road. Just stand there. So I’d move the car up. Just a bit. Honk the horn. Then they would attack the car. Pecking at the headlights, maybe jump/fly onto the hood. And poop on it.

They did not like my vehicle. :)

Speaking of outdoor birds, I have my fair share of them too. Our house borders an Audubon wildlife sanctuary, so we have no shortage of wildlife in our yard regularly. This photo was taken just yesterday… a giant pile of goldfinches. (I know they are super common, but I loved how many of them there were.)

That platform feeder they’re eating from is not permanent. It needs to be repaired, but more importantly, I need to find a better place to put it, because a few weeks ago, after hearing a ruckus on my front porch, I looked out and saw this:

While they’re not all visible in this pic, there were actually five of them out there, and they could not have possibly cared less about my presence.

Anyway, now I bring my birdfeeders in to the garage at night. >:|

I have to now find the pictures of the vultures. Big black vultures. They dragged bags of garbage (which should not be out of garbage pails here) into the street to feast upon. They were on the roofs of houses. In the street. And they were fearless. Until I find the pics, watch this.

Wow, that’s crazy! The closest I get to that is when a half dozen wild turkeys come and hang out on my lawn. Usually right under my bedroom window. At 5:00 AM. Gobbling. Gobbling. Gobbling… >_<

Hey, related to the thread (and our resident African Grey Parrot, I thought everyone would get a laugh out of this…

Also, @RichVR we’ve had those here too. I don’t remember them ever being as bad as they have been the last few years. I’ll have to get pictures next time they roost nearby.

Haha, that’s amazing. :D

I knew going in that Greys are amazing mimics, so the day he entered our household, swearing was curbed. Not that I’ve ever been one to swear like a drunken sailor, but I definitely became much more cognizant of it.

That said, Beaker has still managed to pick up the phrase “what the hell?” and I have no idea how he did that. We both (my husband and I) probably say it occasionally, but certainly not frequently enough that he should be repeating it. But then again, I’m always amazed at the things Beaker decides to repeat. There are some things he learns after only a day, and others he just refuses to repeat. (I’ve been trying to get him to say “I love you” for years, I say it to him multiple times per day, but he just won’t say it.)

Fortunately, “what the hell” is about the most offensive thing he says, and he doesn’t actually say it all that often, so I’m not terribly fussed about it.

Hahaha, my mother’s yellow-naped amazon picked up some swear words and what’s funny is one thing he said in particular sounded -exactly- like the way my dad used the phrase. We knew who the guilty party was.

I am of the opinion that Birds can pick up on the intensity of the expression and that contributes to them learning a phrase.

Pinkerton say “DAMNIT” in exactly the tone I use when I miss a 95% shot in XCOM. That’s not an accident.

I definitely agree with that to an extent, but I say “I love you” in the same tone as I say “Ready for bed, sweetheart?” to him and he has absolutely NO trouble saying the latter, hehe.

Honestly, I think it’s just that they decide that they like the sound of some phrases more than others. Also, I think Beaker connects the “Ready for bed” phrase with his humans showing up and schmoozing with him, as we have a bedtime routine that involves a bit of play. 95% of the time, he only says “ready for bed” when it’s actually around his bedtime. (He usually starts with it around 30 minutes before.) Though occasionally he’ll say it at like 10:00 AM, and I’m certain that’s just him trying to summon us, hehe.

He has no such desired action associated with “I love you”. Maybe I need to only start saying it when I give him treats, hehe…

A thing I thought was very interesting was that my mom taught her amazon parrot several songs. And as part of the morning bird phrase repeats they do, he would sing those songs. But if you sang the song TO him, he would skip ahead to the more exiting parts of the song and then bob up and down like he was happy about it.

Example:
She taught him to sing part of Good Morning, Good Morning To You. But she would whistle the tune after the first verse. So if she started to sing he would skip to the whistle and start up. Then sqeek and laugh and bob.

It’s hard to tell if he was being an asshole or having fun or trying to maybe even teach it back to her. It was just strange.