The Black Lives Matter movement

There needs to be repercussions for people reporting shit that is completely fabricated.

It’s crazy how many things have gone down because of a ‘well meaning citizen’ who decides that something is suspicious and needs to be reported.

Ta-Nehisi Coates on Kanye:

West calls his struggle the right to be a “free thinker,” and he is, indeed, championing a kind of freedom—a white freedom, freedom without consequence, freedom without criticism, freedom to be proud and ignorant; freedom to profit off a people in one moment and abandon them in the next; a Stand Your Ground freedom, freedom without responsibility, without hard memory; a Monticello without slavery, a Confederate freedom, the freedom of John C. Calhoun, not the freedom of Harriet Tubman, which calls you to risk your own; not the freedom of Nat Turner, which calls you to give even more, but a conqueror’s freedom, freedom of the strong built on antipathy or indifference to the weak, the freedom of rape buttons, pussy grabbers, and fuck you anyway, bitch; freedom of oil and invisible wars, the freedom of suburbs drawn with red lines, the white freedom of Calabasas.

Damn.

Succinctly put. Holy crap.

Is it somewhat disturbing that the opening beats to this are, imho, very well done? :O That it makes me want to listen to the rest of the song?

edit: good song. Watch thereactions on youtube.

This is the kind of thing that will hopefully generate actual discussion.

Ya, it is actually a good song. It’s not a trump guy just defending racism, even though it may seem that way early on.

When you say damn… what exactly is your take on this? It’s a long piece but I feel like someone could get a strong response from it in at least two different ways.

My “damn” was mostly an expression of amazement at the way Coates went all-in on that paragraph. Say what you will of his politics, Coates can write some blistering prose.

Good to know.

Now it’s that time of year where families are celebrating some hard earned achievements so what could possibly go wrong as students celebrate this for a few seconds on stage?

Yeah that’s a faculty member grabbing and shoving black students across the stage. I have to wonder what he was thinking in doing that.

Well you can see the economic anxiety plainly on the usher’s face. I’m guessing no one informed that guy that black students were allowed to attend U of F so he went into panic mode. Has Trump offered to pay the guy’s legal bills with his campaign contributions yet?

heh. at my graduation they were semi-worded about streakers and people passing out because it was almost record breaking heat that year and this guy, primarily young black people dancing across the stage getting their 20 seconds, gotta shut that shit down.

I just saw a news story about that graduation, and they showed video of a bunch of students being rushed off the stage. White kids too, not just black or hispanic. I don’t know the background on this particular graduation, but I remember in both my high school and college ceremonies there were rules about what you were and weren’t allowed to do on the stage. If the young folks here weren’t following whatever rules were in place, being rushed off the stage seems like a really minor punishment. Seems overblown to me.

Did you read this part.?

Garcia-Wilde said “strolling” across stage is a commencement tradition for black fraternities and sororities at the University of Florida.

Nope, that was left out of the news story that I watched. Definitely seems like the university was at fault given that bit of information. I guess if you’re going to allow people to do dumb things on stage at graduation, as apparently they’ve done for years, you’d best make sure your staff acts appropriately. Having said that, it still seems like a overblown reaction for this to be national news, but to be fair I think the same thing about a good three quarters of news stories.

If he rushed them oft the stage, it probably wouldn’t have. He manhandled people. I don’t know where you work or went to school but no one like grabbed and physically dragged me anywhere… nor would I expect them to. if there is some sort of risk, security might handle that but faculty and staff do not just grab people like that. it makes no sense he would think he should.

Hmm, which ones of these people would I rather go to college with? I certainly know it isn’t the annoying-looking one on the right.