The Black Lives Matter movement

Another day, another person just trying to live their life and being accosted by entitled assholes.

Well, on the bright side, there seems to be a pretty good job opening there.

Anyway, I would love it if this was given wall to wall coverage on the news and that this woman was used as an lesson to others. If punishment is supposed to be a deterrent, let’s throw every book at her possible as an object lesson to others.

I’m just waiting for the apology, the crying and the I’m not racist spiel that often comes with these. It’s not much of a deterrent since it keeps happening although at least this time she can’t really claim economic anxiety as some sort of bs excuse…

I wonder whether it would be a smart move for her to do any of those things, honestly.

I mean, from the standpoint of being a decent human being, issuing an apology to the ladies she harassed would obviously be the correct thing to do. But it’s pretty clear she’s far from a decent human being.

So from from an entitled douchebag standpoint, what’s her best move here? She’s already lost her job and probably has few if any prospects in Charlotte. She’s now gone nationally viral through the Washington Post. Would a tearful apology and claims of being drunk and “I’m not like that when I’m sober!” help her with getting a new job and living her new life in a new city? Or would it simply extend her fifteen minutes of infamy?

I ask because in my opinion the lady who accused the black child of grabbing her butt did herself no favors when she grudgingly apologized a few days later. She probably should have just slunk away and hoped the storm would blow over.

Mind you, I’m asking from an academic standpoint here. The fact that these racist busybodies are losing their jobs and becoming social pariahs is just fine by me.

Well she had additional problems with that apology. I think she apologize but then continued to claim she needed the police because his parents were threatening her and she might even press charges. It was a hollow apology.

I’m not sure what they’re supposed to do other than be less vile people, but that ship has sailed. Her being in NC and a blonde white woman… she might even get support. Perhaps there is an opening at Fox News!

and the GoFundMe campaign

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/10/30/this-is-white-neighborhood-woman-greets-family-by-calling-their-child-n-word-police-say/?utm_term=.7fa6cfaec34f

They just keep crawling out of the woodworks.

Looks like she’s suffering from PBSD though, so she can’t totally be blamed for her actions.

In her letter, Cantwell said she has had “negative” experiences with black people and seeing the child would cause stress.

lt Also looks like this has been a bit of a healing experience for her, so at least this cloud has a silver lining.

When asked whether she regretted her actions, Cantwell told police, “yes and no.”
“I am sorry that it caused so much ruckus, but I feel like I released some anger writing that letter,” she said

I read her note, which was included in the GoFundMe linked in the article. I considered posting it here, but I think 7 instances of the N word is maybe 7 or 8 instances too many for me to post. I do think it’s worth a read though, because it perfectly encapsulates what and how most of her ilk are thinking every time they get scared of somebody different. Now we just need to figure out a way to best exploit and turn these fears to our advantage.

Well maybe if we approached her with tolerance, open arms and tried to find common ground she would suddenly not be the piece of shit that she clearly is… or we try to move as many diverse families into her neighborhood as possible and hope her head explodes.

Well, maybe not if you approached her. But I get what you’re saying. I’m not willing to take that bullet though, I’m related to her (ilk), and that’s close enough for me.

or we try to move as many diverse families into her neighborhood as possible and hope her head explodes.

This is always my favorite solution.

You wouldn’t know that these airlines had problems with this… two years ago and vowed to make changes… nope.

This report is going around a bit in Social Media right now. It’s a delayed response and most of the Social Media posts are not getting all the information so the report which shows not good information seems even worse due to the snippets coming out of mostly Twitter.

Twitter sphere especially is making it sounds like it’s all police activity. It’s not. It’s Portland Gang Enforcement Patrols, so a narrower part of a whole. There is no reason to believe that this problem is at all levels, at least not yet.

The audit compared the rate at which African-Americans were being stopped — that 59 percent figure — to benchmarks the Police Bureau itself has set to look for racial disparities in policing, for example, the percentage of African-American drivers in Portland.

Yeah, that’s Portland, one of the so called liberal centers of Oregon.

in addition.

The audit also questions whether officers on the Gang Enforcement Team have been accurately reporting all of their traffic and pedestrian stops.

The Police Bureau did not have complete data for the Gang Enforcement Team’s 1,300 encounters from 2016. Officers only recorded demographic information for about 800 encounters that were classified as stops.

So they might be under-reporting those numbers, under. The population of African American’s in Portland, according to Census data is 6%.

The headline could have been written better; calling lower home values a “tax” is just inviting argument. But other than that, it’s a good article about how redlining and other restrictions on black home ownership, combined with the focus of development efforts away from black neighborhoods, has caused black-owned homes to be worth significantly less than similar white-owned homes. If you’re interested in more on the topic, I recommend The Color of Law by Richard Rothstein, which I read a while back.

This is one of many ways in which the history of racism in the US contributes to inequality today. These kinds of things are why I don’t buy the “personal responsibility” and “level playing field” arguments that are so often used to limit access to education, social benefits, voting opportunities, etc for African-Americans. (And women, and LGBTQ, and almost all minorities…at varying levels of oppression.) If we really care about fairness, we should be willing to do what we can to make up for past repression and mistreatment that has led to where things stand today.

File this under “Being a Good Samaritan while Black”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2018/11/27/black-man-helped-his-drunk-neighbor-get-home-got-arrested/?utm_term=.f72d09ac8b29

Samir Ahmed, 23, was arrested the morning of Nov. 17 outside his home. After safely dropping off his neighbor, who was drunk and repeatedly falling down, Ahmed said he noticed several cars and firetrucks gathered near his driveway.

Someone had called emergency services to aid the drunk man, Montgomery County police told him. Ahmed explained he’d already walked the man home. An officer then asked him for the man’s exact address, and Ahmed was reluctant to share it, telling The Washington Post on Tuesday that he felt the situation had already been resolved.

Ahmed’s family and neighbors are seen in the video gathered outside his home, visibly disturbed as they tell police that he did nothing wrong.
“He helped the man. He helped him!” a neighbor is heard yelling. “Y’all got him detained for absolutely nothing!”
After his arrest, a Montgomery police officer explained to the crowd that another officer speaking with Ahmed had “smelled an odor of marijuana coming from him.”

A yes, the extremely conclusive and convincing “odor of marijuana” as an excuse for a stop and search.

And people wonder why black people are hesitant to talk to police officers.

This is one of the many reasons why marijuana needs to be legalized. It’s criminalization gives cops the ability to just do whatever they want and say they smelled something.

Very much so. “I smelled pot,” is a get out of jail free card for probable cause. It’s bullshit, unprovable and nearly iron-clad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/30/its-still-blast-beating-people-st-louis-police-indicted-assault-undercover-officer-posing-protester/?utm_term=.94a3c6370a0b&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

But the three police officers had no idea that the man was a 22-year police veteran working undercover, whom they beat so badly that he couldn’t eat and lost 20 pounds.

Thread

Jesus, the people on that Twitter, demanding warrants and dates. He was a kid, like a literal kid, navigating a system that’s hold for adults and professionals in the fields to navigate. And of course every family knows exactly what to do and is most concerned about keeping records they didn’t know exist and certainly didn’t know to ask for around so they could use it as proof for Twitter years later.

it just another example of it wasn’t recorded so we don’t have to believe which led us to today in the first place.