The Book of Boba Fett - The OG returns

I’d just like to point out how awesome it is that we have a 58 year old female action hero in a prominent role here.

Granted, Ming-Na Wen has found some sort of fountain of youth, but, still…

I was told there would be more Baby Yoda. Show me the Baby Yoda.

This is not a good episode. Completely lacking the cinematic feel of The Mandalorian. Low rent made-for-TV action (ugh! That parkour!). No hook, nothing to make you care about anyone unless you’re already in the group of people bringing their own enthusiasm for the character, born of a few decades spent daydreaming of significance for Star Wars’ most notorious cipher.

You’re thinking of this.

I enjoyed it, and didn’t feel the backstory ruining any legacy.

7 episodes for this season. Not a lot.

That was some real Ray Harryhausen creature design.

My thought as well, but I liked it!

Yeah, I didn’t mean it as a negative.

Sold start, and it was nice to see Temuera Morrison and Ming Na Wen back in action.

That said, I also agree with Wholly’s notion of this looking more TV-like than The Mandalorian. Not that both shows needs to have the exact same type of cinematography with TM being a space western and this probably being a mobster tale in space. But TM certainly has spoiled us with its production values.

I’m guessing The Book of Boba Fett–being a spin-off and such–may have a lower production budget than the second season of TM, but I think it also may be down to Robert Rodriguez. The TM episode he helmed had some of the most pedestrian staging and action set pieces of the show, and the action in this was overall bland, too. Also, when you’re surrounded by shields you cannot penetrate and you have a frickin’ rocket pack… maybe use it? It’s functional, no? Such a headscratcher. And before anyone says that he didn’t want to leave Fennec behind: if the target of your attack rocket-jumps out, surely you gonna turn his attention to him lest you risk a rocket grenade to the back, eh?

Also, I get that the show will show the rise and expansion of Boba’s syndicate. but when it seems like Boba, Fennec and that droid are alone in their palace, it simply feels cheap. I get it that some of the previous ‘employees’ have left after Boba took over, but maybe add something to make things feel alive?

I feel a little less strongly about everything I said last night, but not really differently, FWIW. It does look less cinematic than The Mandalorian, and I still don’t think it does a good job drawing us into why we would care about any of this.

But I’m not angry, and I’ll keep watching.

Tiny, stupid Comic Book Guy level nit pick. How the hell are the rooftops of Mos Espa, a city on a desert planet that is situated in a desert valley surrounded on all sides by taller desert, rooftops which serve no utility apart from being something for chase scenes to parkour across with modest regularity and therefore are likely never cleaned as everyone in town struggles to survive living on a desert planet ruled entirely by desert planet space mobsters, not COVERED in fuckin dust that would have added the slightest bit of variety or immersion to Fennec’s twenty seconds too long chase scene across them?

Space Roombas are one of the engineering marvels of the universe.

Rodriguez should have stopped after Desperado, but I do hope Boba Fett gets some better episodes. This opener absolutely would not sell anyone who hadn’t already met him in The Mandalorian’s 2nd season, but since we did…

The trailer did a better job whetting my appetite for mobster Fett than this episode. I hope we actually get to see some of that.

The few times I thought to notice, it seems like they aren’t using the newfangled Wall of Display that Mandalorian relied on so heavily (and so well) so maybe it’s a budget thing. Maybe this one is more of a punt to see if the fanbase is rabid enough to support anything Boba Fett without the same level of polish. And to be honest, I’m pretty much in the dark on how streaming shows get paid accurately in the first place.

All about that hashtag engagement baybee.

Watched it a little bit ago. Like a few others have said it surprised me at how much I enjoyed it. I only noticed the TVness of it during one set of scenes. But it was super bad there and looked like a cheap Star Trek:TOS set if they had spent even less in sets.

It wasn’t brilliant or anything but it was nice to be back in a good rendition of the Star Wars universe.

My first thought is botox rather than fountain of youth.

So this was a solid 5/10.

I may keep watching if I remember it exists.

I thought it was “okay” but I wasn’t blown away, and left much less impressed than the first episode of Mandalorian. It’s the teeth I can’t get over - perfect Hollywood teeth in a shrivelled old space raisin. Looks very odd.

Watched this last night. What a turd. I like it even less on further reflection than I did upon initial viewing.

I’m sorry, but Morrison projects no menace, no charisma, nothing. The street fight was terrible. Like the worst action I’ve seen in I don’t know how long.

Mando has its ups and downs, but it at least generally hits the target it’s aiming for.

The worst Mando episode was three parsecs north of this garbage.