The bright lights and small city of Infamous: Second Son

Title The bright lights and small city of Infamous: Second Son
Author Brandon Cackowski-Schnell
Posted in Game reviews
When April 8, 2014

A new generation of hardware should usher in a new generation of not just better looking worlds, but more expansive ones. Infamous: Second Son certainly fits the bill in terms of looking pretty..

Read the full article

I can understand where you're coming from when you said there isn't a whole lot to do. The side missions are obnoxiously repetitive, and the main missions are pretty standard for an Infamous game. I do think this the score is a tad low though. While you expressed your disappointment in the story, and lack of depth when compared to an open world game like GTAV and AC4, you didn't really explain why you weren't impressed with the gameplay. I know you weren't crazy about only being able to use one power at a time, but I thought SP did a pretty good job making the powers readily available throughout the world. I could easily find smoke, video and neon around. So you didn't have fun using those powers?

I'm pretty much in agreement with you on everything in this review, but I personally had a blast playing this game. I thought the gameplay was phenomenal, it's just Sucker Punch did a poor job making a realized world. Compared to a game like GTA, Infamous Second Son's world seems like a playground to use your powers rather than a believable, realized city in GTA.

I would give this game a 4. I liked it, it's just missing some key things to make it an amazing game. If it had a realized world like GTA, and the depth and variety of GTA and AC4, Infamous could be an amazing series. It just always seems to be missing something to take it to the next level. That said, I found the gameplay thoroughly enjoyable and I thought it made up for its shortcomings.

I agree with you and the review. The score is a tad low personally. And the game is pretty standard fare but I really enjoyed my time with the game. Using the different powers and just zooming across Seattle was a blast. I wanted to do a second playthrough on the evil karma but knowing all the missions except I think 3 would all be the same, there isn't much incentive for me to go back through it unless I was a trophy hunter.

I did like the powers and now that I'm rereading the review, I didn't do a good enough job expressing that. That being said, I'm not a big fan of games that train you to play one way throughout the game (giving you multiple powers with many sources for all the powers) but then expect you to play differently for the boss battles (only having smoke for the final fights with Augustine).

As for another run, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the game on my evil run and it really isn't doing the game any favors. Speed running through it only highlights how tedious some of the missions can be. Unless you're really into trophies I'd go the good Karma route and then leave it at that.

You are a complete and utter moron Brandon. If you're thirsty for attention, get some friends, don't shit on development cycles that are astonishingly well developed and have received an average merit of over double what you're scoring here. This on Meta / Gamerankings counts as 40% out of 100%. You literally just rated this game a 4/10. How incredibly fucking dumb are you, honestly?

This site is full of trolls, and not in the comments section, the actual editors themselves. This site contains the most amateur, uneducated, attention seeking dolts in the entire editorial industry for video games. You guys have taken the crown, bar none, I cannot think of a shittier site (or magazine) now or even in the history of gaming editorials. Collectively, Quartertothree, you have amassed the most laughable group of bottom tier editors. It's clear they lack any artistic ability of their own, let alone programming or development experience. Not saying these things should be a requirement for writing reviews, but at least a vague understanding of the creative endeavors should be required. This is like asking someone who's deaf to review a Pink Floyd album, or someone who's tongue and taste buds have been removed to review a sirloin cut. Eventually, you'll realize that "not all press is good press" and the accumulative amount of bad press you're getting for your public defecation is hurting your site and turning it into the literal laughing stock of the entire industry.

Cheers Brandon, to think all this time I thought it was just Tomchick who championed the colossal idiot of nearly every year award, what a wonderful discovery that you shit tier editors come in pairs, or perhaps even more.

In addition: Anyone who's played this game can see how obviously full of shit you are. You just said: "Only having smoke for the final fights with Augustine". Are you fucking kidding me? You don't have smoke for that encounter. You have concrete for that final fight, not smoke. It's confirmed you are an absolutely illiterate moron.

I sincerely hope you aren't getting paid for this mindless, inaccurate and ignorant drivel.

quartertofuckall is having a great morning I see...

Anyhoo the thought of playing a character that was dressed like a hipster douche was more than enough to turn me firmly around and away from this game. Thanks commercials!

You should get a job here. You sound like precisely the type of idiot they are looking to bring onto the team! I bet you'd be a senior editor in a weeks time with your preconceived judgement.

Having said that, yes, the main characters attire was awful.

Perfectly captured my thoughts. Objectively, Sucker Punch's output has never been remarkable, but I find their games to be extremely likeable regardless. I am fine sacrificing some mechanical originality to get their above-average writing.

Sounds like a typical budget problem. Probably the original spec was twice as big or more than the game they delivered.

This review is WAY too harsh. I realize it might not be perfect(is anything?), but a 40% is just a kick in the balls.

You are correct, I misspoke when I said that the final fight limited you to smoke powers. It limited you to concrete powers. The previous two fights with Augustine before getting your concrete powers limited you to just smoke.

As for the rest of your comments, well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Need to get the traffic up on this site somehow.

Besides Tearaway, are there any Playstation games you guys absolutely love and would give a 5/5? I understand having a preference for PC or Xbox, but Tearaway is the only PS game you guys gave a 5/5. Every other PS game you guys reviewed has been 3/5 or below. I realize 3/5 is a "I like it" on this site, and I respect that, I just never see you guys praise Playstation games.

So are there any Playstation games you guys love that you haven't reviewed on here? I'm not accusing you guys of being biased, but it just makes me wonder why Playstation games get such a bad rap on this site compared to others.

Actually, the fight on the bridge wasn't limited to Smoke. You could use Neon from those Neon lights in the battle area.

Then I guess I'm an idiot. Everyone is right after all! ;)

Did you beat that bridge boss without Neon? Because Augustine was trying to bait you into draining those Neon lights in the area. While you start out with smoke, after a while you run out, and you drain the Neon. At least that's what happened with me. If you beat him without Neon, that's actually an impressive feat.

I loved Ni No Kuni, all of the Ratchet and Clank games (although Into the Nexus paled against its predecessors) and Uncharted 2. In fact, I tend to like PlayStation exclusives more than Microsoft exclusives. I haven't played Titanfall so maybe that would change my mind but by and large, I've enjoyed Sony's first party stuff more than Microsoft's. I'm in everyone's pocket!

I also loved Tearaway. That game was great.

No, I used Neon. At the risk of divulging any spoilers, I'm talking about the fight with Augustine before you climb her tower and then the one right before you get concrete powers. In both fights you're supposed to beat Augustine down, then kick her for karma points and use your karmic streak power to weaken her. I only remember having access to smoke in those situations.

Cool man. :) Just curious, are you guys ever going to review Ni No Kuni? I guess it's too late tho huh? lol.

I got about 20 hours into that game, but I tried to skip the grinding process and just enjoy the story. I got to a point in the game where I just couldn't progress anymore. The enemies were way too difficult, my characters were at a low level, and I didn't have any provisions. I need to get back into Ni No Kuni at some point. While I enjoyed what I played, I didn't really care for the grinding process.

I'm thinking about getting Titanfall for 360. Heard that version is good.