The coming 2024 government shutdown?

Looks like there might be a deal, but Johnson is really fucking with his right flank by not being an asshole and at least shutting down the government a little before agreeing.

Apple News link - not sure if it’ll work.

Senate Republicans now saying they will need to pass a stopgap measure into March to finalize any budget deal.

I guess now that the House GOP crazies have killed this budget deal?

Seems unclear right now. Not sure what Johnson expected from his right flank.

They can’t really torpedo the deal though, right? I mean, not directly. Their votes aren’t needed.

They’ve screwed up some other rules things, essentially by siding with the democrats to vote them down, but on the actual budget vote the Dems are going to all (or mostly) vote for it, so it doesn’t matter if the crackpot right votes no.

So they’d have to do some other thing, like threaten him with pulling a McCarthy on him?

At this point, while it will totally fuck over me and other government contractors, it would probably help Dems if the GOP decides to renege on its deal in so public a fashion.

I think that’s the threat, an MTV the chair, which leads to the first guy on Johnson’s list as the next speaker candidate. And if that guy wants to be elected, he promises to kill the deal. As long as the GOP House members aren’t willing to make a substantial deal with the Dem House members, they’re at the mercy of a handful of crazies.

Gifted link.

One thing I’ll say, is if the far right tries to oust Johnson, the Dems need to vote with the GOP to avoid it.

The easy way for Johnson to get Dem support would be to green light Ukraine support funding and kill these stupid impeachment games.

Agreed, Dems shouldn’t give that kind of thing away for free. Politically, letting the House GOP continue their self-destruction seems like the right move in an election year unless you’re getting something from stopping it.

The Dems need to just vote against any kind of bullshit like ousting the speaker, because doing so at this point in time would be disastrous for the country.

The partisan bullshit can wait until after they put the fire out. They came to an agreement, they should abide by it.

The Dems agreed to support Johnson in a Speaker vote?

I think that they should prevent the house going into another cycle at the whim of the crackpots, if Johnson puts up the deal that everyone already agreed upon.

Again, if that kind of shit went down now, it would be disastrous.

Meh I think they should demand a vote on the Ukraine + Israel support bill in exchange for propping up the speaker.

If that’s not going to happen, let the Republicans commit suicide.

I feel like you guys are underestimating the damage these budget delays are actively causing.

Damage caused by the Republicans in a really obvious way. It should be well understood by all the Republicans are perfectly willing to let the economy and the country burn if they don’t get their way.

Nope. They can vote for Jeffries as speaker if they want to stop these games.

If they want to keep the house Broken it helps Biden.

Any damage a shutdown causes is less than the damage a fascist America would cause.

Also we can’t reward Republicans for their inability to govern, even if you’d be happy with Republican-lite and all the horrors that entails.

Here’s the deal, dude… I don’t give a shit who you pin the blame on. I want to avoid the damage, and if he Dema can do that by simply accepting the deal they already agreed on… Then they should do that.

Because I don’t want to continue fucking stuff up due to a lack of a budget.

You can play political games on your own dime, this shit is going to cost people their livelihood, and fuck up our military readiness.

They’ve accepted the deal, it’s the Republicans who reneged.

Oh, it would cost me too. I just know what would cost me more. I’d rather go without pay for a few weeks or even six months than have the US go fascist.

And a long-term shutdown that would be entirely blamed on Republicans would cause a blue wave, and then Dems can pass something to stop this in future. (Even the blue dogs would be forced to vote for it this time after that)

If you give in this way, they’re just going to demand more and more. You’ll be ok with it, but it’s the minorities who will get hurt, but you’ll be fine.