The DC Cinematic Universe Post-Justice League

It’s not just burglary…

Man the DC cinematic branch is a total mess right now. The fact that they are even considering giving The Flash the “Batgirl” treatment tells you just how far off the rails things have gotten. If they flush a $300 million investment down the crapper I don’t know how they recover from that.

I keep thinking…and I don’t know how accurate this REALLY is, but…seems like the management team now was NOT directly responsible for spending most of that, as I think most of that was before the merger, no? So while I’m sure they were planning on that studio release for future income, the Discovery president is making those calls now, and he was NOT the one who put most of the money into the movie. I can’t help but wonder if that’s a factor at all. I mean he’s been reassuring us that The Flash will continue to move forward, but he’s maybe…less invested than the WB people? Especially with how toxic Miller has gotten.

That said, it’s disgusting to me that Batgirl got canned while they continue to move forward with this, given Miller’s antics.

Poor Michael Keaton and poor us. Both his appearances as Batman might not make it to the screen.

All three of them. Aquaman 2 did reshoots that allegedly replaced his appearance with Affleck, and he was in Batgirl. Flash is what we have left of The Dark Keaton Returns, and that sure doesn’t feel like a sure thing anymore.

I’m wondering if there’s any regret not casting Grant Gustin in the role. Maybe he just didn’t fit tonally.

Its been awhile but I read somewhere that the powers that be wanted to keep the DC cinematic universe separate from the TV universe at the time.

Gustin was the star of a show on the CW, a low-rated, low-status network. The powers that be wanted a movie star - you know, someone classy and impressive!

(cough)

Well, Ezra was in the Grant universe - I hope that opens the door for consideration for Grant to take over from Ezra.

While I think the show is campy and low budget as hell, some episodes were really great. To be fair, I’m not sure how he would translate to the movies.

I can’t argue with campy and low budget, but The Flash was actually pretty solid, and Grant Gustin could TOTALLY pull off the movie.

It would appear that WB has finally tracked down Miller and shot him with a tranquilizer dart:

“Having recently gone through a time of intense crisis, I now understand that I am suffering complex mental health issues and have begun ongoing treatment,” Miller says. “I want to apologize to everyone that I have alarmed and upset with my past behavior. I am committed to doing the necessary work to get back to a healthy, safe and productive stage in my life.”

One of the weird bits that came out of the recent WBD investor call was the fact that WB is putting some creative control into Dwayne Johnson’s hands and he’s really pushing for Black Adam to be a franchise universe within the DC movie slate.

To illustrate the point, here’s a story of how he got them to rework the Shazam sequel on his call.

“When the first draft of the movie came to us, it was a combination of Black Adam and Shazam: Two origin stories in one movie,” Johnson recently told Vanity Fair. “Now that was the goal — so it wasn’t a complete surprise. But when I read that, I just knew in my gut, ‘We can’t make this movie like this. We would be doing Black Adam an incredible disservice.’ It would’ve been fine for Shazam having two origin stories converge in one movie, but not good for Black Adam.”

Johnson continued, “I made a phone call. I said, ‘I have to share my thoughts here. It’s very unpopular…’ because everybody thought, ‘Hey, this script is great, let’s go make this movie.’ I said, ‘I really think that you should make ‘Shazam!,’ make that movie on its own in the tone that you want. And I think we should separate this as well.’”

Warner Bros. ultimately agreed, and now Johnson is headlining the standalone “Black Adam” tentpole this fall.

I generally like Dwayne Johnson, on screen and off. But no one has a higher opinion of Dwayne Johnson than Dwayne Johnson. When it comes to his career and self promotion the man has no off switch. So it doesn’t come at all as a surprise that he would of course want to be the star of his own movie, and given his star power it doesn’t come as much of a surprise that WB would go for it either.

edit: What I mean is when I read quote like “But when I read that, I just knew in my gut, ‘We can’t make this movie like this. We would be doing Black Adam an incredible disservice.’”, I have a hard time believing it’s the integrity of the character that was his chief concern, even if he legitimately is a fan of Black Adam. And hey, I don’t begrudge him pushing for his own movie, more power to him.

None of this would have been a problem if they’d cast Miller as Reverse Flash.

The petit larceny charge states that the stolen items were less than $900 in total value. The felony burglary charge has a maximum of 25 years in prison and a $1,000 maximum fine. The larceny charge is a maximum of one year and a similar $1,000 fine. Miller also agreed to not have any contact with the homeowner or return to the residence.

There’s no world where Ezra Miller gets 26 years for stealing a bottle of booze, but add it to the pile of issues with the actor.

Ray Fisher opportunity to make it about himself and how he’s still not satisfied in three… two…

edit: never mind, I checked his twitter and he just started playing Elden Ring. We may not hear from him for a while.