The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

The motion to expand its mission was made by the Republican chair of that panel.

And to repeat again: There is very little love for Eric Greitens in Jeff City. They’d have no problems at all making the establishment Missouri Republican Lt. Governor the sitting governor.

Also seeing tonight that this report may be the more damaging one, politically, to Republicans who did back Greitens heavily and early on.

Hawley is the Republican AG in Missouri, running to try to unseat Claire McCaskill in the US Senate in November.

I had no idea Greitens hadn’t resigned or been forced out…'Merica! Truly the land of opportunity no matter how fucked up you are.

Since the GOP is now effectively the party of Trump, why not? I’d think these assholes would have no problem at all championing another criminal.

Disregard for the other gender and sex scandals just fast-tracked him as the GOP’s star candidate.

Right. The joke writes itself. Here’s why this is different.

As odious as they are to me, the MoGOP pretty much did what you’d expect a functioning political party to do. And not to give them too much credit, either. Missouri is no longer a purple state. It is red, red, red. And so the political fallout from behaving correctly here for the state Republicans is relatively minor. When Greitens resigns (it seems inevitable now), he’ll be replaced with a Republican. There’ll be a special election for Lt. Governor. Perhaps a Democrat wins that…but that’s probably a short-term thing and not a springboard for that lucky winner.

And the benefit is getting rid of a guy that no one in the state party trusted much, if at all.

So, they’ve done things the way a moral party would do them. They immediately convened a panel in the MoLeg House to investigate. That’s the report that just landed tonight. Behind the scenes, they have beaten the drum steadily to tell Greitens to resign. He’s resisted, but he’s been urged constantly by his own party on this to do that.

And honestly, I expected this investigation to find something fairly bland, but damning, like they found the victim credible. Something along those lines. What their report actually details may bring further criminal charges, opens Greitens certainly to civil action, and is luridly disgusting enough that it won’t be ignorred by Republican voters. That the Speaker of the Missouri House – a Republican – is standing behind the report, and the Missouri AG – also a Republican – is calling on Greitens to resign is good on them, regardless of any other ulterior political motives.

Way upthread, I linked a taped phone conversation between Greitens and another prominent GOP donor/ candidate. TLDR: Greitens is a complete asshole. To everyone. There’s an excellent chance the knives come out for him, even in red Missouri.

Nice article in the Federalist eyeroll :

http://thefederalist.com/2018/04/10/time-united-states-divorce-things-get-dangerous/

He better rot in jail for that crap.

But back to yet another wonderful Republican Christian Evangelical Leader:

He hits all the bases. Wealthy, AR-15, Trump lover, liked Roy Moore, and sickest of all is the number of youth camps he was involved with. It’s like child rapists are drawn like flies to the Republican party.

“The GOP has many problems, but the Democratic Party has turned into something completely un-American.”

Says the guy who is advocating literally destroying America.

As was noted by Michael Schuur (Parks & Rec) on Twitter yesterday, the real hilarity there is that a website called “The Federalist” published that secessionist nonsense.

Sheezus. She either doesn’t know what Brown vs. the Board of Education case was about, or she left her white hood and burnt cross at home.

There is no way she actually knew what Brown v. Board of Education was. Or is there some subset of Republicans – beyond the alt-right, of course – calling for a return to segregated schools? That’s gotta be like Trump at a loss when asked about the nuclear triad. Or Sarah Palin on the Bush Doctrine. Let’s all go back and enjoy this video, shall we?

God, I miss her.

-Tom

There’s plenty of (generally older) people who think the ruling, or certainly the policy that followed, overreached. Just listen to the More Perfect podcast on it to hear some. Or the TAL episodes on magnet schools. It’s depressing (and distressing) how open the nostalgia for formal segregation is.

I thought the name Vitter seemed familiar…

She is the wife of a former senator…

Sen. David Vitter broke a week of silence on Monday and, with his wife by his side, denied allegations he had relationships with New Orleans prostitutes.

Media reports surfaced in the past week linking the Louisiana senator to a well-known prostitution case in New Orleans. Vitter attributed those charges to “long-term political enemies” and people seeking money.

“Those stories are not true,” he said.

Vitter admitted he made calls to an alleged prostitution operation in Washington, offered an apology “to all those I have let down” and vowed to resume his work in the Senate.

I guess Eisenhower deploying the 101st Airborne Division to enforce a Supreme Court decision didn’t make the point strongly enough…

-Tom

“But I don’t love dem hoes” didn’t really excuse Snoop’s attitude toward women on Doggystyle, brilliant as it is. And David Vitter is no Snoop Dogg.

Then she’s unqualified to be a judge.

In case you were wondering how Greitens is playing out with the dumbest faction of Missouri Republicans, here’s the dumbest of the dumb view for you.

“How can the Missouri General Assembly investigate someone for the actions that took place when Greitens was a private citizen? He’s a scumbag, but this investigation overstepped its bounds…”

(This was asked of me by a dumb Republican on Facebook, a guy I went to school with waaaay back when. I assume he got that line of idiot reasoning from someone like Gateway Pundit.)

My response: “He was charged with a felony after he became Governor, and the only remedy for that to the state is impeachment or the resignation of the Governor. He refused to resign, so the Missouri Legislature had to investigate to determine the validity of the charges, the credibility of the witness, and all things related to that. This is the report based on that investigation.”