The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

Not sure this is the right thread, but Charlie Dent, a moderate R, is out in the next few weeks now instead of the end of his term.

I think some folks on the board here might have this guy as their Rep. @Timex? @legowarrior? Sorry if I’m wrong on that…

Sorry, not mine.

Currently standard deduction for a single person is $6,300 plus you get $4,100 (?) for a personal exemption. Under the new system you would get a standard deduction only at $10k +/-, I have forgotten the exact number. Pretty much double that if you are married.

It’s now $12k for the standard deduction for someone filing single, $18k for head of household, and $24k for married filing jointly.

It doesn’t. I end up losing $1,500+

The thing is the tax cuts give us a whopping $80 break. The less you make the less the tax cuts impact you. So raising the standard deduction is terrible for those of us who itemized due to medical and home mortgage interest. Is it wrong for me to say those in my position are subsidizing the wealthiest so they can hoard even more money?

I’m in PA, but he’s not my guy.

Dent is actually one of the reasonable GOP, much more in line with what the GOP was like before it lost its mind. It’ll be bad if he gets replaced by some jackass like Jim Jordan.

The new law doesn’t end the medical deductions on schedule A although it does maintain the 7.5% reduction. If you don’t have enough to itemize to cover the new standard deduction you really aren’t losing anything, as the standard deduction would be more beneficial at that point. If you exceed the standard deduction with your itemized expenses then you still can.

The loss probably comes from the combination of standard deduction and exemptions.

Pruitt is really worried about being shot at.

Wait, when does that go into effect? I just did my taxes and according to the latest 1040 instructions my standard deduction for married filing jointly was 12700.

Is this for next year?

Yes45

Guilty conscience?

Sorry; to clarify, I mean “now” as in the 2018 tax year (which we then file next year)

You think Brutus waved the knife around in Caesar’s face this much?

So, when was the last time the head of the EPA was assassinated? Or even shot at?

Or even threatened. Remember there are “tons of death threats” that don’t exist.

If any EPA chief was going to get them, Pruitt would be a good candidate and he still isn’t getting them.

Hello, it’s the animals that he’s afraid of - there are potential grizzlies everywhere! And many of them are armed with armor piercing rounds these days.

Bullet proof seat covers. Is he afraid his security detail is going to shoot him?

It falls under the list of: “I’m not paying for it, so, sure, throw that in there.”

6a00d834516a0869e2014e5f618774970c-600wi