The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/901912865057021952

The new plan, outlined in documents obtained by USA TODAY, would roll back an Obama administration executive order that blocked armored vehicles, large-caliber weapons, ammunition and other heavy equipment from being re-purposed from foreign battlefields to America’s streets.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that program becomes a persistent D/R flip, like the global gag rule.

Nothing says conservatism like heavily armed police with almost no oversight.

This is absolutely the case. If Obama was for it, he’s against it. Basically, among other things, we abandoned the Paris agreement and pussied out on the greatest crisis of our time (of all history?) because Obama hurt Trump’s feelings. The full, grotesque extent of the man’s unfitness for office has been, amazingly, understated.

One party governs, the other wins elections.

Wouldn’t it be nice if both skills were combined in a single party?

I do not think this is the case.

Don’t get me wrong, i do think Trump, and republicans are blanket anti Obama, but most of the things listed in this thread come down to Money. Money for Trump, money for his family, money for his friends, money for his donors (and republican party donors (in that order). You really have to look at everything Trump does in this lens. Anything else he does is only done to build the political coalition needed to support that primary, and sole, goal.

Well, I will grant it’s not the only consideration. But all else being equal, Obama’s being for something immediately turns Trump against it, as far as I can tell.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2017/08/27/hurricane-harvey-is-when-we-need-price-gouging-not-laws-against-it

Trump hates Obama on a deeply personal level.

For a thought bubble there, I imagine what Sansa said to Ramsay, but less articulately phrased.

Heh. But let’s remember, Obama was punching back that night. He didn’t start anything.

One thing Obama and Hilary have in common, and it appears rare among politicians, is that neither was even slightly intImidated by that asshole.

I agree. How do you explain the transgender thing? It wasn’t an issue. Sure, the Christian Conservatives were against it, but no one was protesting it, making it a thing. Trump reversed it just because it was Obama’s policy.

Then there’s all the National Parks stuff that Trump reversed via executive order. No real outcry for it save from some special interests, but he has reversed order after order. The Paris Accord – how does Trump profit from that?

Then there are the reports of officials of other nations saying that Trump in discussions asks if Obama was for something, and if told he was, says he’s against it then.

Yeah, he’s definitely targeting anything Obama did.

The money is his behind the scene stuff, not actual policy. I’m not sure any policy stances or executive orders have had anything to do with his money, barring boiler plate GOP tax cutting and trying to slip that into the ACA repeal.

Maybe not first, but second against the wall? What an asshole.

Hurricane Harvey has hit Texas and is doing a great deal of damage to both life and property. Which is exactly when we need, positively desire, there to be price gouging, instead of the laws we have against it.

Rationing water for a temporary condition will somehow magically increase the bottled water supply? In the coming days free water will be shipped in. All that price gouging does in the interim is cause pain for a few days and deny water to people who can’t afford to be gouged.

What about the idea of pulling together and helping one another in a disaster instead of looking to increase profits? These Texan assholes who gouge should ask themselves what would Jesus do.

For those who want to jump prices during a disaster, I hope they are prepared to literally defend their supply from those in need. Why should those in need obey the rule of law if the suppliers are not obeying that same law?

I’ll bet you anything this same guy is anti-union, and thinks boycotts should be illegal.

A gift to the theocracy wing of the republican party to keep their support when even republicans are slowly starting to move away?

It’s red meat to his base, especially since he knows Mueller is Coming.

Yeah, the theocratic wing doesn’t care about anything but gestural service to their culture war. Trump could literally grow seven heads and ten horns and Ivanka could start a Whore of Babylon fashion line, and they’d still back him because you know, the gay agenda is bad, mkay, and anyway the sooner the seals are broken the sooner the elect can rapture up to heaven.

He had them at Gorsuch. Evangelicals are among his strongest supporters, in spite of his being by far the least Christian person ever to occupy the Presidency (including the deist Jefferson).