The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

Ahh Botbaddict, that would have been my next choice for you. You love to expand big, and you too like to make suicidal runs with pretenders (memories of General Tso). But this time it was probably worth it because you came so close to victory that turn.

You played well Akaoni! You made a fatal mistake though when you pushed too far into my territory to go for my capital. That gave me the crucial +3 def throne we were fighting over the whole time you were around! After that I had those 2 disastrous buggy battles for me on your capital, but thankfully it only cost me time.

Kelan I think you left it too late to attack. If you had attacked me earlier while Patala was still a threat I think you would have had more success.

Evil Steve I only thought it was you because you seem to like making massively big armies and not do much with them ;)

Pyperkub, nice early dancing! I got lucky when my astral mage horror marked your pretender. I figured he got killed by a Doom Horror shortly after because one turn he was there and the next he was gone!

I’ve uploaded my turn file for Gath. I’m claiming 3 throne provinces this turn for the throne victory.

Yeah. I was really concerned on where Utgard was going to go with those triple 9 blessed Garmhirding in their army so was cautious to get into a full scale war with you. If I would have known that Utgard would have stayed put, I would have attacked earlier for sure, hopefully timing with Patala’s strike from the sea.

I really should have went after Bogarus early when it was apparent (at least to me) that my troops were far superior. However, they were hitting research targets faster than I was and it felt like it was going to get really bloody and I was too timid to weaken myself short term for possible long term gain with Utgard’s army and Gath steamrolling Marignon to the south. If Marignon had been able to weaken you just a bit, I was all ready to pounce :).

For Patala, it was a mistake to go for a N9 bless. It was a further mistake to take a Turmoil/Luck build when I had already decided I was going to focus on the nagas more than the monkeys. The N9 gave a regeneration of 3 hit points (meh, what was I thinking?), and the acute lack of gold really showed when I had troubles fielding one army to Gath’s many.
Still, I had a lot of fun trying to use the Nagas to the fullest. Dark vision, amphibious, and magic beings gave me some interesting strategies. I initially planned to take the four caves closest to me, build up, and then attack someone, but I saw Mariginon being taken out, and thought I should do something before Gath got too big. I think I died around turn 45 or 50. And one battle I know I lost because I forgot, in haste, to transfer death gems to my Darkness caster.

I never saw what Utgard was up to. I watched Man getting eaten, and Raghda was scary with a vampire thug early on.

The key to this game was the lack of communication. If I was able to communicate with others, I know I would not have done the same moves that I did.

I want to know who Atlantis was. He kept popping up in the middle of our slugfest, and then dropping back out.

I have documented in my blog some pretty epic battles that C’tis and Atlantis had. Also, Atlantis really messed me up by taking my bordering Sea provinces so early in the game and I never did get into the Sea as I planned.

I am starting to wonder if pyrhic was Atlantis.

Your troops are far superior. A moment of clarity came with Bogarus when I realised that maybe I need to treat my guys as being more expendable, and let them die. Well, the non cav guys at least. I basically became Stalin in the end. Yeah, I was Bogarus. I had fun with this nation.

I’ll write more about my game, and the mistakes I made (there were plenty). Apologies to Ragha who faced my thugs, and the ensuing economic warfare to minimise the production of those gryphon mounted flying knights of doom that refuse to die. I have a headcold right now, and just finished a few nightshifts, so brain is all kinds of messed up.

Score graphs are visible with the latest turn! Heh, my gem income is insane! Plus I’m getting more than 100 blood slaves a turn for more Se’ir’s.

I’ll have a more detailed write up at some point soon, but I agree with much of what was said…the lack of communication really made for some interesting dynamics. The "he doesn’t have troops on my border so I’ll assume that’s an implied truce that might be broken at any time but i have to suck it up because I’m distracted" vs “uh oh better pounce on him now while he’s distracted” really made for a different game.

Yes, I came close…I would have got it if I’d grabbed the last throne with my pretender one turn sooner. And the painful part? My pretender started out on his last journey one turn late, because I mis-clicked before I sent my turn in.

DOH!

Three furtive figures walked in silence through the predawn hours until reaching the shore of the eternal sea. Looking at the water gently cresting on the shore, the smallest heaved a sigh, “It’s true, then.” The largest simply smiled as he turned to look on the water, and the three came to a halt.

“We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t”, the largest made in way of a reply.

“But we can still fight!”, the smallest whispered harshly. In a hundred battles, his forces were undefeated, and through seven long years of campaign, his forces were battle-hardened, fierce and loyal. Even in the annals of the entire nation, only once had his nation’s armies been defeated, and even that lone tarnish was not without its excuses. And yet today they were surrendering.

“Aye, but we cannot still win…”, the largest replied, and with a motion to the sea, “she, herself, shows us that.”

The smallest looked out the the sea, paused a moment, and nodded ruefully. This area of the sea and the nearby areas had been theirs for hundreds of years, and for the first time in living memory, ice no longer touched the shore.

“So what will happen to you?”

“Me? I return to where I came.” The largest handed his sword and shield to the still-silent creature completing the small company.

“You die, then?”

“No, I return to the elements that spawned me. Where no force of might or magic can touch me.”

“And of us?”

“You will go back, Tulu. You will again be a but an able captain and a simple tent-owner. And you will forget about me, and when the invaders come with their heat and arrogance, you will help them destroy my memory.”

A pause.

“…but you won’t destroy it all.”

“They think us simple people. Uncultured. Unsophisticated. And they will look for me in the places traditional to their race - in temples, on mountains, in books and on scrolls. And in these places, and to these places, you and our people will lead them, and help them destroy.”

“But in the bone. On the seal skin. Written with the marrow of our friends and our foes, you will record my name.”

A flash of anger in the eyes?

“You will write of our history.”

"And you will preserve our sacred skills. In whale and seal, walrus and bear, with fang and blood, fat and marrow, you will write of me in places they will never think to look. And these things you will cherish and hold secret.

Nodding to himself, the largest started walking out into the water, speaking “And some many years hence, when the time is right, the people will find me again. And they will call to me. And I will answer. And we will rise again together.”

Waist deep, he stopped and turned to look at the two figures watching him from the shore, “Nothing is forever.”

Two more great steps brought the massive being up to its chest in the water, and it stopped one last time to look back on the shore, “Even gods would die.”

And with that he walked into the sea, descending out of sight.

Pausing some moments, Tulu thought on the final message. Turning, he started to walk the path, not to the great city of his people, but to his simple village. A moment later, the golem moved to follow, with two of the world’s most powerful artifacts clutched in its monstrous hands: the final gift of the Atlantian god Nereus to his surrendered people.

so YOU were Atlantis! Man, I was so trying to will you to take on Ragha with me, rather than having that scrap over the throne.

Well, since people already know I was Jomon, here are some links to my blog on the game from setup thru turn 38. The website is just something my son and I threw together and a basic WordPress install so it is a little clunky to navigate, but hopefully not too bad.

The password for all QTAnon blog entries is: Qt3QtAnon

I will try to remove the password requirement as soon as I get a bit more time.

Link to the QTAnon category (you have to then go to the highest number entry at the bottom or you will start at the end):
http://greyskyegames.com/blog/category/game-plays/d4-qtanon/

Link to the first entry (start here and hit Previous button after each entry to view them in order):
http://greyskyegames.com/blog/category/game-plays/d4-qtanon/page/40/

This will change after I add in more entries, though, unfortunately.

Hopefully it will offer some entertainment value for folks that were in the game or not :). I will try to update the last few turns before I got crushed also if people would like to see how Gath dismantled me in the coming two years after my last entry.

Nuts! Because I was eliminated, I can’t request a turn resend to Marignon. Maybe Gath or C’Tis could email me the final turn so I can take a peek?

I haven’t finished reading it yet, but I’m enjoying it so far. Thanks!

CTIS: well I didn’t fancy my chances with QT3’s elite players, but conscious that all would get to thugs ahead of me I chose a thug killer for my pretender with A4F4E4D5 to provide some magic support and a basic bless. Scales, from memory, were given to some luck (as I would surely need it) and magic. Started off quite well: close to two thrones and got them both with no problems giving me access to some adepts, and boosting research and dominion. Suddenly became aware of a rampaging Ragha to my NE, already sieging TC’s capital. With Atlantis to my W, Patala to my SW, Ulm to my S, and Bogarus to my SE, and another throne beckoning to my NE, I thought I had to intercede: Ragha with a capital that early might be unstoppable. I waited, hoping that Atlantis might see ragha’s rapid expansion, and then attacked. However, the first error, one of many of course, was to be distracted by that throne. Overconfident, I attacked it, and lost badly. Meanwhile, I simply gave Ragha an excuse to come at me with his blessed flying immortal sacreds, to which my PD had no answer. Unfortunately for me, Atlantis, timed with winter, attacked my throne to the W: we had a scuffle, with wins, draws, losses, leading to Atlantis claiming that throne and fort. I lost my pretender, and was down and out. I quit my other throne, giving it to Ragha and licked my wounds. what followed was a slow rebuild: i had lost a lot of research, but went for more mid-range battle spells like arrow fend, storm etc, and got my pretender back. Set myself up for taking back the throne I handed to ragha (which pyper came in and completed) and then moved onto the throne which atlantis had taken. It was only in the latter stages that I saw a rampant Gath. I was pretty much blind to what was going on for half the map, just hoping that you’d all keep each other pegged in while I recovered. Next time.

Can someone take screenshots of the score graphs and post them up? I’m curious :)

I saved the screenshots through Steam and have them in my profile, but what is the best way to link them from Steam?

Looking at the graphs a little closer, I did a lot better than I thought I did with gem income and research from mid game for a little while. I actually had the most research for a stretch there and most of the mid game I had the most gem income behind Gath/DireAussie. My timing and strategy I relied on were what did me in. That and relying on some low hit point mages for a big battle that Gath just rolled out 3 Earthquake casters and decimated before I could get any round 1 battlefield spells off with :P.

If you go to profile -> screenshots then you can right click on the page and copy the URL and paste into the forum. Need to make sure it is public viewable if people aren’t on your friends list.

Bit of a recap for Bogarus. Such a long game I can not remember too many finer details, though it is interesting reading about other player’s thoughts and sentiment, notably Kelan’s on his blog. Speaking of which, there were a couple of good points raised there worth mentioning.

First of all, I wanted an Eparch to become a prophet so that he could cast Fanaticism. It is worth mentioning that aside from cavalry, Bogarus troops are on the whole pretty bad until I can get cavalry online, and I wanted to reduce the chances of squads routing and suffering catastrophic losses. Having a slight buff to morale would do that, and from there, the Eparch could sit back and cast smite, which while not particularly effective, could mean the difference between losing a unit or not. And I’d rather not lose units where I can. Further comments on my Eparch/Prophet on turn 11 - he picked up the Heroic Agility perk which gives ambidextrous ability plus added attack and defence skills. Obviously great for a unit that I don’t want to fight hand to hand with. My Pretender was an Earth, Air, Astral, and the only bless effects were Air and Astral.

My Pretender was an Asynja. Having her stealthed and being able to move around site searching was a big plus. She came with two of the paths I wanted (earth and air, and spend some points for astral) and filled a role of being able to fight if I felt pressured early game and needed someone big to fight in a defensive war. I was contemplating going SC at the start in fear of being rushed and knowing I’d lose horribly, but decided the Asynja would fit my purposes well in a utility role to give me access to the boosters that would complement my mages. Earth boots and the couple of Air Boosters and Crystal Shields for the battlefield.

Few notes I’ve made with the game as I went along. Turn 5 I had a gold event which gave me 2226 gold. That number is correct. An early fortification went up the following turn, though given the movement of my commanders, switching from a Voivode to the Mounted guy with inspirational leadership, I don’t think it mattered. Looking ahead a few more turns, I had plenty in the treasury to get another fortification up. Looks like I started getting busy recruiting Black Hoods and Malaia Druzhinas. Turn 17 I found a site that was another fortress, the Forgotten Fortress. That site was probably the best one in my lands giving 3 earth gems, 1 death gem and a free fortress of course. That was in province 129 next to the water throne.

Around the mid game, turn 40 plus, there are comments about fatigue and the number of mistakes I’d make. Bogarus is fun. But they are, to me, a lot of work because on top of the troop cycling (ie: from recruitment into a main army) I also had to work out which mage has the boosters I need to forge one item or other, look for the staret with the right paths, see who was diseased and can mindhunt Ragha’s Pretender without any real care… Sort of normal in any game admittedly, but I felt it more with Bogarus.

Few examples of mistakes I can think of. One was having troops set to patrol on a fortress and then taking part in a fight I wasn’t ready for, in that I had no magic backup. I lost a good chunk of my army then, 110 troops died, and killed a pitiful 19 devils and 1 Zhayedan Spahbed, the flying cavalry of doom. That was a bad turn. I had independents (Vine Men) rise up in a bordering province but thankfully had an assassin who had just moved there that turn, and set him to kill the mage leading them so that the next turn a single unit could go in and the army would auto rout. I lost a few thugs to general stupidity, or over-estimating their abilities. Or at times, just what felt like bad luck, like when I tried to get Ragha off the water throne, sent in a Wraith Lord and promptly had him killed. He fought hard against those phantasmal warriors (if I recall) but killing the units at the end proved too much.

Couple of thugs turned out quite well. I had a bane lord who ended up with the awesome presence ability. He ended up with an awe of nine, coupled with the shield of gleaming gold and compounded by a horror helm. A spectral mage had zero kills to his name, but ended up with 4 exp stars. He went cruising around with a defence skill of 33 thanks to his ability of lightning reflexes. Couple that with being ethereal, he wasn’t really touchable and was happy spraying poison everywhere. Being W2 also meant self casting quickness. I lost my Harvester of Sorrows to a TC attack on Ragha lands. He was quite happy killing the populace more than anything and playing a small role in disrupting the economy of Ragha.

My only big fight I won was in the last couple of turns, and even then I screwed it up. It was the only appearance my Pretender had, and from the first round of battle, she got paralysed and unable to cast Ground Army. Great. I had a Mountain Vila who was meant to cast Serpents Blessing. She was in sneak mode and I didn’t realise… Needless to say, I took a lot of losses that fight thanks to the combined Wrathful Skies and Foul Vapors on the battlefield. Want magic diversity, play Bogarus. And celebrate when both Koshcei Deathless and Baba Yaga join the army.

Those two heroes were huge boons to my nation, giving me access to paths that I really needed. With Baba Yaga, I wouldn’t have had the undead thugs. Without Koschei, I wouldn’t have had the starting death gem income, frost brands and water boosters. And thanks to being dumb, I spent too long blind to the fact that I could make a nature booster (moonvine bracelet) if I simply used Baba Yaga to cast summon Cloud Vila, then get the Cloud Vila to make the bracelet. It took a long time to realise they have an astral path.

I remember that attack, and I remember thinking “Gah, what bad luck for Bogarus!” By all rights that Wraith Lord should have cleared out the province. Still, I’m glad I left the guard units that I did…

Undead thugs…shudder

Ok, hopefully this works and I did it properly:

If I cleared that province, I had my prophet on hand with a small detachment to enter the water, claim the throne and fortify up. I would have had Koschei the Deathless to burn a few water gems getting some UW summons happening. But it wasn’t to be. I have to say BotBaddict, you did incredibly well fending off the numerous nations marching against you. There was myself and Ulm, I think C’Tis had a few nibbles here and there, and TC also?

A couple of other points about Bogarus while I think of it. Firstly, being a no diplomacy game, I didn’t want to raise the ire of my neighbours if they saw me with unrest causing units. As a result, I completely ruled out recruting Khlyst and Skopets. For a while, including pre-game, I wasn’t wanting Fivefold angels either which meant I was knowingly forgoing blood magic. That decision highlights I wasn’t going to employ a bless strat. The more the game went on however, the more I realised that blood was probably important enough to not care about my neighbours thought, particularly as they got tied up with their own fighting. I set out recruting a few fivefold angels and getting a blood economy going. I’d say as well, that with playing Mictlan in Hangman, it really upped my game when it comes to blood hunting.

With Bogarus, I started doing fairly well getting the blood slaves economy going as I implemented little lessons I learnt from Mictlan. Of course, there is a point to this which is to highlight another error. Well, maybe. I chose to boost up a fivefold angel, firstly by feeding him 10 slaves to drop his age by 10 years, and then another 45 to empower to blood 3. Give him a armor of souls and a brazen vessal, and that’s all I can do. It took me making 2 blood thorns before I realised that I can not give to a unit that has stumps for hands. Maybe I should have given it to a promising Staret who comes with other magic paths, though it would have required 3 blood feasts (3 turns/30 slaves) to get their age down to a level where safe from disease. Still wondering if a B5 Fivefold was the right move.