The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

I’m several patches behind. Which patch notes explain new dominion mechanics?

If dom 4 is survivable by itself, what happens when you bump up against a dom 10 nation?

I don’t remember exactly, I think base dominion score counts half of what it counted originally, though prophet, pretender and temple checks count as before.

Yeah, I found this “which is a chance equal to 50% + 5% for every point of ‘dominion strength’ - which is equal to your Pretender’s starting dominion strength, plus 1 for every 5 temples built.” . Before it was base 50%+10% for every point.

Yeah, I had a Dom 5 pretender in OldSchool, the only problem was sacred recruitment. I was never in any danger of being domkilled.

If I needed a quick burst of candles, having cheap H2s and access to H3s helped though.

So I was thinking about ideas for a team game. One was a 1 vs 1 team game where each team occupies their own side of a symmetrical map with a chokepoint only in the middle. This chokepoint could be thin or wide. The map would look something like this. Any thoughts?

I could be interested in a team game.

The new patch has me excited to try another game against the AI and get back to playing MP again also.

I always like the general idea of the Valanis map with the body of water running through the middle. In saying that, I think Valanis fails as a decent MP map when considering the way that the river estauries flows randomly about the place impeding movement for warm nations. Furthermore, the caves to the south are basically a niche area for a couple of nations.

Were you actually going to make a map DireAussie?

I do like the idea of a chokepoint. Being a team game, it could very well be thin I suppose because it would be unlikely for a nation to have a retreat route cut off. To build a few thoughts on what you’ve got, what about having the mountain ranges separated by a body of water provinces, and the chokepoint being a land bridge that cuts through the mountain range and separates the water bodies into two?

Yep I would make a map! Adding water provinces sounds like a good idea. After thinking a bit more a chokepoint which is 3 provinces wide and 3 to 5 provinces long would be interesting. It would be a ‘battleground’ of sorts with thrones as sweeteners. Each team will need to push armies up there and it could result in some epic battles and cat-and-mouse games. A concentrated effort would be needed to break through…or sneakers and flyers! I think it could be more fun than our other 1v1 team game where nations had to largely fend for themselves or work with only their immediate neighbour.

Another disciples game sounds fun. Count me in!

If you need players and don’t mind someone who hasn’t played since Dom3 then count me in. I picked it up on sale last week. I’ve played Dom1, 2 and 3 mostly MP, but I am no expert, probably intermediate level.

I’d be up for a game, but, like Canuck, I’m noobtown. I haven’t had a chance to look at the manual yet but will do so asap.

disciples (team) games are good for n00b’s. Helped me a lot.

We may need to wait until the other game is finished until we have enough players for a new game. They’re in late game now which tends to have a large time commitment. In the meantime I’ll get onto making a few maps over the next couple of weeks.

DireAussie, how goes your map formation? I told myself I would not get involved in another Dom4 game, but somehow I keep getting pulled back into reading stuff about it…

Ack, it’s been a month already since I posted that?! I’ll see what I can do

Okay, so it is apparent I cannot do anything since I lack enough free time and willpower to make a new map right now. Perhaps we put my map and idea on the backburner until next year and someone organise another game and map?

Alright. it is apparent that the beer is talking here. I volunteer to make a make under the following circumstances:

1. We get 2 teams of 5 each, with the bulk being newbies.
  2. I will make a map with 10 province each for each team member, plus an undetermined amount of middle neutral space.
  3. Each side will have a level 3 throne in their area.
  4. The map will run NW to SE, diagonal.
  5. There will be three lanes of attack through impenetrable mountains. One N, one S, one middle.
  6. Winning consists of holding both level 3 thrones for the turn of seizing plus one more.
  7. I am mulling over creating a plethora of level 1 and/or level 2 thrones that just add effects.
  8. Each team must be led by a veteran, but include 2/3 newbies, that have posted on the forums, validated by Tom. It will be leader/disciple 1/4 ratio.
    I will not play but be the map/turn guru.

Thoughts? Can we get enough new players?

It looks like the burnout effect is strong from the last game. Plus Re. point 8, a game of Dominions without Akaoni playing as poo-throwing monkeys is not a proper Dominions game!

Sorry, I was awaiting more responses from the veterans! I’d be happy to join in with this set-up. I’ll need some help and guidance though, that’s for sure.

Sent a PM to Akaoni last night about this. I actually have a bit more time up my sleeve for the next few months with my studies mostly done so I’m keen for a game. But yeah, you’re right DireAussie, no Akaoni and the running commentary would not be the same.

I could be talked into playing or helping in one way or another.

It has been a rough summer with tougher than normal projects at work and both my mom and dad passing away so I haven’t had much time for gaming, but I would like to help get more people trying Dominions 4 MP and my time should be freeing up some now. Plus, I haven’t played Dominions in quite a while and always enjoy it.