The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

Team 2, waiting on you to tell me which nation is the pretender.

The game has started! Good luck to both teams!

Thanks for setting that up!

I thought the teams were supposed to start either side of that mountain range?

They are all supposed to start on the same side of the mountain range, correct. Thats why the start was clustered. There was one game in my test plays of the map where one of the team’s nations was on the opposite side, mixed in with the other team; I mentioned it in this thread.

Has that happened here?

Looks like 2 on each side here, a total free-for-all! :)

Maybe one other player can confirm…

Weird. Well, after confirmation, see if you guys want to proceed as is, or I will restart. A restart will entail all of you emailing your pretenders back into a new game setup, and there is no guarantee that this wont happen again.

Well, we might have to cancel the rule about pretenders not attacking, given that I probably have an enemy right next to me…

I’m fine with a restart. And yes, I spy two each side of the mountain range.

I am good with a restart and hoping that one more try gets the desired result. It is a long game that we planned for quite a while so may as well try to get it right at the start if folks are willing.

Agree with the restart, especially since we’ve been planning so long.

Restarted game, please up load pretenders at: qt3teamgameTry2

same info as before ( settings, passwords, etc).

Hmm, I just noticed that Llamabeast put in an option to ‘unstart’ a game. So I unstarted qt3teamgame. Can you all please submit pretenders to that one as well? We will then pick which game has the best set up (ie the entire team on one side of the mountain range), and I will delete the other.

Is there not a ‘nation start’ flag we can use in the map, now that we know the exact nations that will be playing?

(disclaimer - I know next to nothing about map customisation in this game!)

There is a flag you use to specify if the province is viable for a start location or not. It does not filter down to ‘start Arco here, and start Helhiem there’.

Even if we did narrow it down to only 4 starting provinces on either side of the map, and choose clustered start, I still cannot definitively say that the teams would start next to each other.

On the restart for qt3TeamGame, it appears that all of our team is on one side of the mountain range. How does it look on your end, Team 1?

I, for one, am cautiously optimistic that the restarted qt3TeamGame ( I sent out the emails a couple hours ago now) will be viable.

I’ve seen this in other disciples games with clustered starts (well, one other game). It really may be necessary to create a version of the map which assigns the caps… it also happened in my test game.

3 on one side, one on the other.

There is one method I’ve used which is to upload the .map file with player start positions and use that. The code is

#specstart <nation nbr> <land nbr>

Land nbr is the province number, nation nbr is taken from the table on page 13 of the map manual

I have sent out a third restart email to you all. Hopefully the third is the charm.

If that does not work, I will ask for Team 1 and Team 2 each to pick 4 provinces on each side of the map as start locations. I will then flip a coin, and assign the winner to the North or South side that they picked first.

Team 1 (#1 for a reason) is all on one side of the mountain range. Naturally no idea how team number 2 (“number 2” for a poopy reason) is going with the third restart of the game.

It looks all good on this end for Team #2 as far as I can tell.