The Elder Scrolls Online

My character finally found a decent outfit around level 12!

I started my new character in Summerset. Where do I go to get going with crafting?

I never really figured out crafting in ESO. I would suggest gathering all the materials you can and just selling them on your guild’s trading post, then worrying about it at max level if you decide to care about it.

You can’t (or shouldn’t) wait to start crafting until max level. You are going to be time gated by Research, so it’s something you should start working on ASAP if you want to do it.

Sounds like you grokked crafting much better than I did, I looked at it, shook my head, and decided not to bother.

It’s different, for sure. The main thing is you have all those traits on gear, like Precise gives a crit chance bonus or something like that. So to learn to craft those traits, you need to first find an item with it, then use it to Research that trait. If you find a dagger with Precise you can learn that, but you’ll need to research it separately for swords, maces, etc.

For each trait you learn for a particular type of item, research time doubles. So the first dagger trait is 6 hours, then 12, then 24… the 8th and 9th traits are 32 days and 64 days respectively, for ONE item.

So, if you want to craft, you will want to start learning traits early. If you wait until end game to start, you will time gated for a long time.

EDIT: Couple things that make it not quite so bad as it sounds. By spending skill points on crafting skills, you can get 3 research slots so that you can be researching 3 items at once. You can also spread crafting up between a couple different characters, so one person is a blacksmith, one is a woodworker, etc.

I don’t know about Summerset, but in the base game, there’s a tutorial of sorts if you go to the main city on each of the starting islands. I believe you start it by reading the notice board.

Trait researching is only required for blacksmithing/woodworking/clothier. They take substantial investment, so if you’re planning to play casually I’d say just blow it off. You can probably find someone to craft the sets you want. If you do decide to go for it, I’d recommend doing all 3 on one character, so that you don’t have to spread motifs around.

The other 3 types of crafting (provisioning/alchemy/enchanting) don’t require research at all. The alchemy tree (and to a much lesser extent, provisioning) provides passives that improves potion (and food) usage, so it’s recommended for everyone. They’re both easy to max out, though alchemy can be expensive. Enchanting you just need on one character. It’s probably the least useful of all the crafting skills, since you can probably buy the exact glyph you need from markets (albeit at a premium.)

I’m planning to dip my toe back into ESO soon, so if anyone needs any 9 trait stuff let me know. My motifs are about 2 years out of date though.

Oh, that’s right, you reminded me. The 3 research slots aren’t per character, they’re per crafting skill, aren’t they? It’s been a while.

Yeah, I believe so! I should also caution that my advice is 2 years out of date, I could be wrong on everything for all I know.

For one thing, they just added jewelcrafting!

Yeah, that’s what I was wondering with regard to Summerset. I saw nothing that started the crafting quests.

It’s been such a long time since I’ve played, I’m feeling quite lost.

Ah! Maybe you can teleport back to Auridion/Daggerfall/< Pact starting city > and do the tutorial there?

So what if I don’t want to craft? Like, ever? Can one avoid it entirely?

Yup. You’ll always want your character to have a food buff, but you can buy crafted food from guild stores. Leveling provisioning is probably a time saver in the long run though.

When you’re leveling/questing you can get by with whatever drops. In the end game if you need specific craftable sets/items you can trade/buy from others.

Yeah, I never crafted anything, but I don’t do real endgame things like raids, I just consume the single-player content then stop playing until they release more.

Yay, thank you guys!

In case anyone is curious, this was a non-issue. Since ESO account is linked to my steam account I was able to log into eso’s website, hit “Redeem code” and enter my GMG code.

According to patch notes they removed red shell this morning.

I ended up getting Summerset. Haven’t done anything beyond walking around, but it’s pretty. One thing that I miss from Guild Wars 2 is the sense of scale; you walk around in the city hub, but the backdrop depicts a much bigger city beyond. A Tamriel with a population of ~1000 that you can ride across in less than an hour is weird.

Yep, once it became public, it was clear that would happen.

So I just finished the Summerset main quest. Saved our “reality” once again. You’re welcome.

It’s a typical follow the quest icon romp like the rest of the game. Mindlessly enjoyable. I mostly bought the expansion so that I could get a hold of the sloads set for pvp and the jewelry crafting as well.

In another note I have mostly come to terms with having to wield a fire staff. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and ride the river down to the great proc sea.