The Eternals - Chloe Zhao takes on Jack Kirby's weirdness

From Dusk Till Dawn. . .saw it with a good friend and his lady, she cracked up laughing during the snake dance scene because she was sitting on the far end, looked over at the both of us, and said our jaws looked unhinged and ready to hit the floor.

This was…okay! Not the degree of weird spectacle and ageless existential crisis I was hoping for, but it could’ve been a lot less interesting.

If you like Kumail Nanjiani’s humor, this movie has some great parts. He was more front-and-center than I was expecting. His sidekick was a brilliant choice, too.

I try not to let this happen to me but there were multiple moments I was reminded of other media. Robb Stark and Jon Snow were shaking hands. All the Homelander vibes. The more-or-less ten rings being recalled to someone’s hand. And the fight in front of a bronze age castle (defense instead of offense, though.) And the power being sucked by someone while they look sadly at the protagonist. There was something I can’t recall that was a strong parallel to a moment in Dune. Again, not flaws, but they all added up to inadvertently feeling like a bit more of a remix for me.

Also, post-credits, when Eros’ sidekick showed up, for a moment, I was wondering what happened to the CG for Ben Mendelsohn’s Skrull character. But that’s on me for not knowing those comics well.

Yeah, my son and I never really got over this. I don’t know if it’s the square-jawed actor or his specific power set or the special effects, but he was definitely Homelander the whole movie.

Also, the end credits have some pretty deep cuts.

I agree. I actually kinda liked it. It was long, for sure, but the time was mostly well-used. A couple clunkers, but for the most part I thought the story and the characters were interesting. And there’s plenty of meat on there for the rest of phase 4 to chew on.

Either Covid has decimated the moviegoing segment of Qt3, or there’s little to no interest in The Eternals. Or both! Either way, I miss the discussion.

I’m interested whenever it shows up on Disney Plus!

Can’t specifically blame covid, as we rarely went to the theater beforehand, either.

Well, maybe we can have some discussion on Shang-Chi when it shows up on Disney+ in a few days then…

I agree with @cornchip’s take. It’s fine, but I kind of have a higher bar for a movie by the most recent Best Director winner.

Making a movie with ten brand-new superheroes was probably not a good idea; even with strong acting there’s just no time for actual character development. The highlight was Karun, who’s a real scene-stealer.

i think it says a lot about my feelings that I was more interested in the movies / TV series being teased in the post credit scenes.

I’m pretty excited to see it, but getting to theatres (and wanting to be in them) is still a struggle for me.

I just tested myself, and I was able to remember 8 of their names and all of their powers. I think they did a pretty good job giving each character some time to be memorable. I’m looking forward to seeing how they work into the rest of phase 4.

Ok, here’s a question that I think is non-spoilery: Are the “Celestials” in Eternals the same as Ego from Guardians of the Galaxy? They seem different, but Ego refers to himself as a Celestial.

And Knowhere seems like it might be the head of an Eternals-style Celestial, but doesn’t look much like Ego’s head.

I think Knowhere is definitely a dead Celestial’s head. I don’t think Ego is related to them, but I haven’t seen GOTG2 so I don’t know how they described him.

Head of the Celestial in nowhere is indeed canonically the same thing.

Ego in MCU world is as well (apparently) but not according to comics canon. Though quite why Arsheim would have created Ego seems weird.

Yeah, Ego as a Celestial is definitely a movie conceit. In the comics it is something entirely different, and with cosmic Marvel you always have a bunch of total crazy (that’s also always fun IMO).

Woulda been cool to see Rom: Spaceknight make an appearance in the MCU if they kept more of his original story. :D

I don’t know where the Celestials came from according to the MCU, but based on Ego’s story, I can see him being possibly the first Celestial. If you’re a nigh-immortal brain floating out in the cosmos, I don’t see why you have to have a humanoid body.

Saw this with my daughter because she loves the MCU and I love our daughter. I had my usual reaction to these movies but I was resolved to remain upbeat for her sake.

Me, “That was a remarkably diverse cast.”

Her, “So many plot holes. I didn’t care for any of the characters. What was up with the Piccochio bit at the end?” Etc. She is generally cheerful and looking on the bright side but she did not like this movie.

Me, “The popcorn was good.”

My wife and I saw it this weekend. theater was pretty busy…maybe not pre-pandemic busy but better than I’ve seen it lately.

However I give the movie a overall meh. There were some good parts (scenes with Kumail or Don Lee), but overall they had too many characters trying to do too many things to get much of an emotional attachment.

I also did not dig the effects for the powers. The instant-on lacy golden items (gauntlet for Gilgamesh, exchangeable weapons for Thena, etc) did not do it for me. I did like how they presented Sprite’s powers.

We’re a couple weeks out, I’m not going to spoiler tag things, but I’ll warn you again before the spoilers start.

This is longest it’s taken me to get to a theater for any MCU movie, but that was all down to some life circumstances, not any hesitation about wanting to see this.

It was better than I expected! Flawed, but I’m actually hoping they make another two or three Eternals films, and that they can keep Chloé Zhao involved.

I think it was one of the best looking Marvel films in quite a while (though I need to see it again on a good screen, circumstances sadly dictated I see this on the worst screen in town).

It didn’t feel slow to me, and I’d heard criticism of the action but I thought the relatively low key action suited the story they were telling. This didn’t need bombastic, Avengers-level fight scenes and set pieces.

Specific spoilers below

Things I didn’t love:
Angelina Jolie phoned it in, and I kept expecting she wouldn’t make it to the end of the film. I’m not looking forward to more of her.
I thought the Deviants were about to get interesting after they got Gilgamesh and started getting more advanced, and I thought there would be some tense cooperation working toward similar goals. That all went nowhere at the end.
“Hey Kingo, do you want to be in the third act?” “Not really.” “Cool, bye!”

I like that it sort of has the Guardians of the Galaxy approach of doing it’s own thing, and I hope it gets at least another movie to do that before anyone worries too much about integrating this into the rest of the MCU goings-on. The next movie could be almost entirely off Earth if they wanted, and it might be better.

I haven’t seen this yet… I’m mildly intrigued. But am I the only one who recoils in horror at this phase 4 terminology?? It ain’t right, people! I mean, they’re turning movies into tv and tv into movies so why don’t we be less weird about it and just call them seasons and be done with it?