The Eternals - Chloe Zhao takes on Jack Kirby's weirdness

The Marvel Disney+ shows have been great. I’m really looking forward to seeing Shang-Chi. Also while I’m not really a Hawkeye fan, the Hawkeye TV show looks like fun.

I’ve actually been shocked at how high quality Disney+ content has been. The Mandalorian and the Marvel Shows have been really terrific both from a story and a production perspective.

Makes me curious to see it.

I will probably at some point see this but I really have no desire to dash to a theater. The more “powerful” the hero the less interest I tend to have.

I think this is going to be a sweet IMAX viewing, whether or not the movie’s actually good.

Aww man I loved Phase IV.

I haven’t read this thread at all, but I wanted to weigh in before seeing the movie next week: The original run of the Eternals never really fit in with the rest of the Marvel universe, so if the movie ends up feeling disconnected, maybe that’s the best testament to its faithfulness to the source material.

That said, I am cautiously pessimistic about the movie. I’m not expecting much. We’ll see if my expectations are low enough.

This is probably the most brutal one-line review of a movie I’ve ever read.

Longer than you think, Dad! Longer than you think!

That’s a deep cut. Is it sad that I knew what that was from without clicking?

If it’s sad, then I’m right there with you, Pagliacci.

King? But man that smacks of Twilight Zone.

Maybe! I was thinking it was a The Stars My Destination reference, so I’m glad Crypt linked to that Johnny-come-lately King story.

Technically it’s both!

And I remember that story because I read Skeleton Crew when I was like 10.
That the monkey and the raft. The all haunted me for a long time.
I still want to smash those little cymbol monkeys when I see them in any media.

Such an awesome movie. The poster does not do it justice.

Hmm… Just got back from the cinema.

(To start off a bit of context: I did not watch any trailers and have not read the comics so had ZERO clue what awaited me. Heard of Zhao being a indie director fascinated with realistic down to earth docu-type movies.)

I felt the whole thing was extremely uneven and would have worked better as a TV show. Its commendable for how hard it tries to be representative of diversity (be it cultural or sexual) and spends most of it run time debating existence / identity / purpose. Sprinkled in between are a few action set pieces to cater to the crowds and show you that the characters have different powers.

Visually I can’t get on board with this natural lighting trend where everything feels desaturated and “grey”. That might make things feel more serious and indie, but please keep it away from action movies!!

So yeah, as someone who has enjoyed pretty much all the marvel movies, I’d have been happy to watch this at home as a rental… Meh.

PS there are some scenes that are just so overwrought and on the nose that I started laughing, but realised they were actually seriously trying to milk a scene for pathos.

Particularly the scene where Phastos says goodbye to his son.

Like I said I agree that the pacing is off if you are introducing such a big bunch of superheroes. They are all pretty interesting and NOT just a rich white dude with his toys and thus deserve more time to explore their identity. But this movie is too long already like you said, so the better option is to lean into that wealth of diverse characters and give them all more space to shine. This could have worked like the first season on Heroes, where each character gets 1 or 2 episodes to flesh them out and the episodic nature gives the storytellers more breathing room to put in historical flashbacks in order to flesh out their stories.

You say you are tired of introductory movies but enjoyed Shang Chi, however that is also just an introduction?

I have a feeling Eternals would’ve gotten a better reception as a Disney+ series.

What kind of budget would you need to hire Salma Hayek AND Angelina Jolie for a season or even half season like Loki???

Perhaps if it is a mini series like Loki you will get some less expensive people, but really Loki has just two stars: Loki and Owen Wilson. All the others aren’t famous. (Still love Sylvie to bits even if she isn’t famous.) Marvel probably have doubts as to whether you can do a Heroes without any star power at all.

I’ll probably watch this on Disney+ when it comes out there.

More than a series I’m sure, but why do you need those stars to play these roles anyway?

To be honest, neither of those made much on an impact on me in this movie…

To be honest, I’m still recovering from the impact Hayek made on me in Desperado…