The Expanse (SyFy)

And being familiar with the books, it’s not helping much either.

Yup. That looked like a Syfy production.

Agreed, I was a bit WTF during that.

Hey, that one dude played Warren Peace in Sky High.

Ditto. And I only just finished reading the books!

The thing about the books is the actual plot is this thing that pulls you through the conflict narrative between Earth/Mars/Belters. Even then the war proper is still relegated to being the background threat - the chessboard on which the political/corporate machinations and a handful of depicted battles take place. The main book plot was entirely missing from the trailer, which seemed to want make it all to be about that conflict instead.

I’ll still check it out though.

It looks like an episode of BSG guest starring Ehrmantraut from Breaking Bad.

-Tom

Exactly, the Earth/Mars/Better thing is mostly backdrop. Miller looked great though, and I was glad to see Avasarala. They’re both favorites of mine.

You think so? I had to watch it with the sound off (I’m at work), but the production values and the direction all looked pretty decent to me… with the exception of one shot of a “market/bazaar” that pretty much screamed “sound stage”. I’ll listen to the dialog tonight, and maybe that’ll put me off my feed, but I’m still excited for it.

I’d be hard pressed to find interiors in any scene on Babylon 5 that looked markedly worse than any locale in the trailer. Which isn’t to say that everything in the trailer was trash–a lot of B5 holds up shockingly well today, particularly the non-CG parts–but I’m not gonna mistake it for even an indie scifi movie.

I thought it looked fine. As far as what it revealed, maybe they decided not to spoil the entire frikkin series in their first promo for a change. As far as the Earth/Mars/Belter dynamic, it drives pretty much everything that happens in the books so I feel its far more than just backdrop. The promo seems to push that dynamic only because they avoid other major plot points. I cant believe that they really plan on shoving the whole PM thing to the background.

I don’t normally look in this forum, clicked on it by mistake and saw this thread. I love The Expanse. Please don’t fuck it up too bad, SyFy.

I liked novels one and two, and think three dropped the ball. #4 I haven’t read, as a result.

(The first short story, The Butcher of Anderson Station? I think it’s straight-out amazing and would make an good single-shot animated movie)

Oh, and fuck “this video is not available in your country”, sighfy. (As one of my friends sardonically calls it)

All right, having listened to the dialog, I am undeterred in my cautious optimism.

It’s a little weird that they’ve cast Avasarala, since she’s not in the first book at all.

Hush, she’s one of the series’ best characters. More of her the better.

As someone who’s never read the books, the trailer caught my interest. I guess that’s the point though, but I’ll almost certainly give this one a shot. Actually, given what people have said in here, I should probably look up the books. Or at least the first one.

I’ve been devouring the books and just caught wind of this series. As someone upthread wrote, I very nearly stopped at the first scent of space goo zombie in the very first chapter of Leviathan, but the technology descriptions hit me in the right spot, and I was very happily surprised by the film noir and political angles the story took. Holden and crew are clearly overly endowed with bravado, luck and unlikely skill perfection, but something’s gotta be a catalyst for it all, so I’m letting it ride, and it’s a great read.

… cautiously optimistic about the series, still. Never got into the BSG, but I have enough friends who swear by it up and down, so hopefully it’ll capture the same fan energy and get a good run.

I’m really interested in seeing how they portray the ship mechanics and combat as there’s a fair amount of it; it’s always been a hope that someone will be able to make long-range torpedo based space combat accurate AND exciting, given the hurdles of not having two dogfighting ships in the same screenspace, and without doing the stereotypical submarine thing (which is inaccurate anyways because conversely, the ships would be maneuvering at a zillion meters/second rather than sitting in deep water.) My guess is they’ll abstract a lot of it with onscreen dot readouts (for budget reasons) or do the boring easy thing and cheat the distances much much closer (to give people what they’re used to)… but here’s to hoping they get more creative than that.

Never got into the BSG
BSG definitely had some great moments and was good overall… Until they ended the series by clubbing us over the head with the ultimate deus ex machina. I think theres a Liberal Arts course somewhere on How To Screw Up A Multi-Season TV Series in Just One Hour. They spend the entire semester studying BSG and Lost.

The series had its wrap party for end of shooting its 10 episodes in Season 1 in Toronto two weeks ago on March 8, 2015.

The series has yet to be slotted for any release date other than “sometime in 2015”. Realistically, this looks like the Fall, but they might push it ahead to the summer. We’ll see.

New trailer- much the same as the one in January with some new bits added:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9JSjOAPi58&feature=player_embedded