The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

There might eventually merit a game industry specific thread, but for now it seems like it fits here:

Game Informer have a story about one of the journalists being blacklisted by Sony for reporting on the Quantic Dream situation.

Update: Le Monde journalist William Audureau says he has been “blacklisted” by Sony for his piece on the studio’s reportedly toxic studio environment. Audureau says that this notification has come from sources, and that this activity is common in the games industry in France.

In a reply to someone asking for proof, Audureau replied in English, “No proof to share, sorry. Sony doesn’t send any ‘Congratulations, you’ve been blacklisted!’ greeting card.”

This is why “Cat Person” got a million dollar book deal, as it happens, because the author makes clear the distinction that women seem to intrinsically understand about themselves and other women, but are endlessly frustrated that men do not, that there is a huge gap between what is being said (verbally or not) and what women are thinking that is supposed to be bridged by emotional intelligence i.e., you should just “know” this thing or that thing, in this or that context, don’t be a lunk; and which is far more intense when people are younger. There’s a reason that Cat Person is framed as a 20-year old woman vs a 30-year old man, and why her identity as a female author allows her the ability to both write inside it and outside it at the same time. There’s also some discomforting overlap with unspoken assumptions about gender role and gender-based behavior which you should just “know”, don’t be a lunk.

We live in a time where epistemologically as a culture, and young women especially, we find it very difficult to distinguish or even concede to contemplate the relationship between our feelings and experiences and some kind of reality that exists outside ourselves that may not always agree with our feelings about our experiences.

For a second I thought you were talking about Cat People.

Nope.

Is this a quote?

Nope! Just me.

I kind of get what you’re saying except I don’t believe this was a case of miscommunication. If the story is all true, he probably knew exactly what he wanted that night an intended to do, and wasn’t very upfront about it. I mean at what point did he say, let’s go to my room and have sex, then I’ll dump you the next day. She could have made a number of choices to avoid the situation, and he could have been clearer and for their to be a mutual understanding doesn’t there have to be an attempt at trying to reach that?

#MeToo isn’t just about decades of women not having voices about sexual harassment and assault, it’s about generations being silenced, blackmailed, blackballed or in some cases brutalized into not saying anything. Now that voices are being heard, we have to to figure out what to do with that.

Various sources call this a hit job, but so far no one said the story is untrue. Isn’t the real question not whether or not #MeToo has gone too far but whether or not our response to every story should be same? I think every story should be heard, hopefully validated but time might destroy that, but that does not mean the way we react as a society should be the same.

This is new for everyone, and shutting it down is not an answer to when we hit uncertain ground and have to discuss what we just heard and what it really means.

I’ve said it before, Weinstein is somewhere at the bottom of this, and we’ve not really fully defined the top. That means stories near the top but might miss it will be heard.

Maybe, but is every story worth sharing with the world? I mean this girl’s story isn’t new or different or anything special because one of the parties is a “celebrity.” Are we just going to share all our bad date stories now?

I don’t think anyone (here) is saying “shut it down.” But I think it’s fair to ask how far is too far, especially when the end goal of all these stories appears to be nothing less than destroying careers, and lives possibly too.

I mean what are we supposed to do with this Aziz tale? Maybe it’s so far over the line that he’s going to keep getting work, but maybe not. Is his career over because of this? Is that OK?

PS - let’s not pretend that only men are capable of being jerks or weirdos on dates. I’ve got my share of crazy bitch stories, but I’m in no rush to blog about it.

It’s called life, and dating sucks for everyone. It’s not just “not working” for women.

We live in an age where people are sharing what they had for breakfast, complete with a picture and a life story for each ingredient. You think every person is going to know when and when not to share. They cannot even do that now, on a regular basis.

I do not think it’s reasonable to ask people to be perfect, and I certainly don’t think it’s reasonable to ask women to be perfect with stories that are this emotionally charged.

We have to allow people to show their imperfections and mistakes, which includes sharing stories that might not fit a mold that isn’t perfectly defined to begin with. And if society doesn’t react to that story perfectly, the answer is not to shut her up, but to work on society.

As for Aziz, if his career is banking on him being a nice guy, he should probably actually be a nice guy. If it’s not, well we had Charlie Sheens in this world before MeToo and we’ll have them after, and unless there was a body involved, and actual rape, I suspect no amount of sexual based complaining was going to take him down.

Is there something in that story which suggests Aziz wasn’t a nice guy?

I don’t quite get this. He’s an actor and a comedian. He creates a persona; that’s his job. He should be a nice guy because everyone should be nice, not because he plays one on TV. Although, yes, in purely practical terms, it’s better PR to make people think you’re ‘really’ like the character you play, unless you’re typecast as a villain.

Posted without comment. Haven’t read it yet to be honest, just figured it would be an interesting take given the author.

Maybe the fact that she texted him the next day decrying him and insulting him had something to do with there being no second date. Not in either of these people’s head, but just a thought.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, who then collaborates on a character assassination hack job blog post.

The genius of Cat Person (maybe wise, maybe evil, maybe unselfconscious, whatever) is that last infuriating line where the author has the guy text her back, as a final, pepe-meme’d riposte, “Whore”. It turns a testimonial into a social conversation and shifts the blame entirely to one side of the scales. For lots of people (typically older people) it ruins the whole story - for younger people it’s “the whole point” and Cat Person inserts itself into a social movement hashtag.

What’s interesting about the Aziz story, and why some women (typically older women) are getting upset about is it how passive she is. She’s relating all these things “happening” but she’s just being swept along by them passively and only barely able to respond to him at a couple of crisis moments. There’s no doubt (imo) if her story was true that he was being aggressive toward her, but he clearly thought (by her own story) that’s what she wanted, and he changed his tune when she told him “not this way” the first time, and then when he chilled on the couch and tried again after awhile, she finally blew him off and left. In the sense that it’s miscommunication it’s the sense that she’s not clear about what it is she’s expecting or wanting internally until she’s in a situation where she’s clear that she doesn’t want it; and that’s one of these awkward, painful, uncomfortable conversations about the differences between genders that nobody at all wants to have right now.

I was going to post the same link that Gordon posted. It’s not particularly unexpected - she’s older, she’s not going to get her dander up - but it’s typical of a time where an author who literally writes dystopian fiction where women are oppressed is (apparently) being dragged in the mud on social media (presumably) because of something or another she said about getting proof before setting the accused to the flames.

I’m a huge supporter of #metoo, and i know over the holidays we had a big family drama moment about #metoo, and it’s hard to have a conversation about this stuff because of how emotional it becomes. But these sorts of “bad date moments” toe a line that’s impossible to disentangle from a distance about what is and is not acceptable - or is even actionable. I think we’re moving into a time when, especially young people, consent has to be very explicit and very verbal and (unfortunately or not) the burden is going to be entirely on the guy/man to do it (for all those unspoken gender role reasons).

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/953081487288688641

Considering how many actors’/public figures’ careers have vanished almost overnight as a result of the Harvey Weinstein ‘moment’ – and I’m not saying undeservedly so, in general – I think Yglesias is being a bit faux-naive there.

I read this yesterday. It kind of reminded me of when Hillary ran for president and a bunch of old feminists tried to tell women today how to think and feel. She has some good points, but she is completely out of touch with what’s happening today or the fact that she is taking for granted that she has a wide reaching voice.

You’ve actually dated women right? I mean, you know emotions are often tied to sex, even when everything goes right? I don’t need to tell Aziz that because apparently he wrote a book on modern romances so should at least know a thing or two about women. And with all the mistakes that were made between these two, he probably should have asked her leave or avoided sex the minute she expressed doubts. He also had choices.

I don’t know much about this guy. It’s not an area of entertainment I am interested in. What I do know is the way the encounter is described, by both of them, doesn’t cast him in an especially kind light. If it did, if he came off as a gentleman, why would his career be at risk?

Aside from Takei, which was also questionable and in the private sphere and the work sphere, we haven’t seen too many if any situations where it’s one accuser and not work related like this. Nothing happened to Takei, that I know of.

That sounds like something that’s not actually empathy but sounds really profound and noble on Twitter.

DISCOURSE, EMBED! DAMN YOU!