The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

So that’s why we did square dancing in grade school!

You sure about all that? This documentary series I was watching on the WB points toward Dodge when it comes to racist trucks.

Mind completely blown.

Well, my part of California fancies itself a country western area, or at last it did back in the day. Bakersfield even more so. Even today we have one of the largest rodeo’s on the west coast every year, they just celebrated their 100th anniversary.

I may be confused but I thought TimesUP was still focused on harassment in the workplace, but just not for high visibility professions like Hollywood, media, or politics.

I think the Aziz date is exactly why the movement, whatever hashtag it is using, should remain focused on workplace harassment. Even most guys, who may have been guilty of harassment in the past, can get behind this has to stop now, no tolerance etc. When you start getting into grey areas like bad behavior, when it involves regular dating and nothing to do with the workplace, lots of guys and plenty of women are going to say hold on, I don’t agree. We saw this in the forum, and Saturday night live parodied it brilliantly.

TimesUp’s Mission Statement:

TIME’S UP is a unified call for change from women in entertainment for women everywhere. From movie sets to farm fields to boardrooms alike, we envision nationwide leadership that reflects the world in which we live.

So yes for women everywhere buy they’re clearly drawing on resources from the entertainment industry which would make it say… a little challenging for them to do that in iindustries they know next to nothing about. Maybe down the road though they can build those resources.

Let’s clarifying something though. When some of the most notable and front facing women, who are also role-models, tell the world they’ve been sexually harassed, silenced and literally raped for decades, what sort of affect do you think that has on the women and girls who look up to them? And do you think somehow that’s only workplace related?

And what do you think these literal rapists have taught the men coming up behind them… not just how to treat women that work with them but women in general, keeping in mind, these people also control several storytelling elements of the industry?

I wondered what happened to him:

The Weinstein Co. announced Sunday that it will declare bankruptcy after a $500 million deal to sell the company collapsed.

The deal-breaker appears to have been the bid group’s refusal to put up cash imminently to keep the company afloat. The board of the company released a letter Sunday evening to investors Ron Burkle and Maria Contreras-Sweet — who led the bid group — breaking off negotiations. According to the letter, the company made clear that it was in dire need of operating cash, but the bidders made on Saturday night did not provide for adequate interim financing.

Any thoughts on how this was handled at the Oscars? Jimmy’s monologue?

for some reason it made me cringe, but i can’t think of how it could have been better.

They had a #metoo bit with Salma Hayek, Mira Sorvino, and Anabella Sciorra. There were also a fair number of callouts here and there in a general pro-women vein (e.g. Emma Stone presenting for Best Director, saying ‘the following four men and Greta Gerwig…’).

It was fine I guess. I don’t think Academy lip service matters much one way or another.

Handing Kobe Bryant an Oscar seemed pretty brain dead and not really in the Time’s Up vein.

Of course I saw twitter taking Emma Stone to task for marginalizing the significance of del Toro and Peele’s nominations (some numbers I don’t remember exactly and didn’t fact check personally saying that black people and Mexicans are just as rare for the category as women), because of course everything has to be about everything or you can’t win because someone somewhere has it worse.

There was a lot wrong with Bryant winning for “Dear Basketball”, most of all, the banality “Dear Basketball”, but short of going as far as disqualifying the film in advance, I don’t know what they should’ve done. If a bunch of dummies really thought it was the best film, well, he’s still supposed to win in that case.

This week’s This American Life was really really good. It approaches a MeToo story from a different angle than I’ve heard before, really dwelling into the lives and stories of the women.

It’s an 80 minute-long episode, but it’s really good. I highly recommend it.

It’s spread all over the world now. Of course, like everything else, the Koreans do it better than we do. It’s not enough to just fly off to rape rehab in Arizona with your sober coach or write a whiny pseudo-apology blaming all men for your crimes.

I finally got around to watching PBS Frontline special on Weinstein.

To be honest all the claims sort of blurred together, so it was good that less famous women were interviewed to help put a face on them.

Weinstein is almost Trump-level of grossness.

Just barely related to this topi.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-small-business/wp/2018/03/09/study-a-voodoo-doll-of-the-boss-will-make-your-employees-happier/?utm_term=.8fde1b0d504e&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1

The theory is that people (i.e. employees) who feel wronged sometimes wish they could lash out at their abuser (i.e. their boss … now just hold on a minute!). The study wanted to prove that giving employees the opportunity to take this anger out on an inanimate object is therapeutic for them — and less potentially less painful for employers like me.

And you know what? It worked. A third of the study’s participants reported “lower feelings of injustice” and said they were “far less likely to still feel bitter” about their supervisor. Not only that but they performed better on cognitive tests as well.

Because down deep, most humans (all humans?) are still superstitious Cromags sitting in caves.

This might work for a general scenario, but sexual harassment and rape… no.

Well that’s disappointing.

On Friday, Gilliam compared the “silly” movement to a Hollywood mob scene. The director told Agence France-Presse in Paris that “mob rule takes over; the mob is out there, they are carrying their torches and they are going to burn down Frankenstein’s castle.”

“Harvey opened the door for a few people, a night with Harvey — that’s the price you pay," he said. "It is a world of victims. I think some people did very well out of meeting with Harvey and others didn’t. The ones who did knew what they were doing. These are adults; we are talking about adults with a lot of ambition.”

He may not be wrong about the toxic effects of mob mentality (I honestly haven’t heard much from the #metoo movement in awhile, and I hadn’t heard about anything happening when Matt Damon tried to defend men not all being rapists, but given the source I suppose I’ll take it with a grain of salt). I can’t say, but it’s something the movement should be wary of becoming.

But that second quote, woofta. WTF is that guy even thinking? “That’s the price you pay”? Christ on a cracker.