The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

Brokaw, 78, vehemently denied the accusations and later wrote a strongly worded letter that was sent to some of his NBC colleagues on Friday morning. “I was ambushed and then perp walked across the pages of the Washington Post and Variety as an avatar of male misogyny, taken to the guillotine and stripped of any honor and achievement I had earned in more than a half century of journalism and citizenship,” Brokaw wrote.

According to this new Hollywood Reporter feature, Disney will probably cut ties with Pixar’s John Lasseter.

No way Lasseter comes back. Either he soon announces his retirement to spend more time with his family or he gets assigned to “special projects” for a year reporting direct to Iger and then does it.

I really really hope that these accusations are in fact unfounded. Tom Brokaw has always struck me as thoroughly decent human being.

I’m pretty sure someone upthread or in the Cosby thread said something like, ‘after 25 accusers come forward it pretty much has to be true.’ So can there be a corollary? Like if 60 people say it can’t be true it probably isn’t?

Not really. Serial rapists don’t rape every woman they meet, but they still rape a lot of women. Serial killers don’t wipe out an entire neighborhood but they still kill a lot of people. I’m not sure how they should approach this, carefully for sure, but finding people that were not victimized does not others weren’t. Sounds like NBC just needs to clean up it’s culture.

Okay, but “serial” implies more than one.

Just because most women (people in general!) tell the truth when making accusations, does not mean all do.

I don’t see how any specific number of people could be an agreed threshold for knowing someone didn’t do something if we’re talking about something the person could’ve done in private or deliberately deceptively.

So I didn’t read the Brokaw thing, if one person is saying he did such-and-such and habitually did it to everyone he worked with, and then 100 people Brokaw work with come forward and say “what are you talking about, no he didn’t”, that probably means something. But if someone is saying that Brokaw did something just to them privately, 1,000 people saying “oh man, that doesn’t sound like the Brokaw I know” doesn’t really mean much for his defense.

Edit: I’ve read that Slate article now about the women supporting Brokaw. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy that we’ve got an outpouring of women coming to his defense, I’d much rather read that headline than “60 other women come forward with stories of harassment”.

But I still don’t think you can use that to rule out the possibility of specific isolated events, unfortunately. Those accusations will have to be examined and considered carefully, even if it would shock the majority of his colleagues if they’re found to be true. Especially in that case, I suppose.

I’m reading he has two accusers who came forward, not one. But that’s not my point, you can’t say someone wasn’t victimized just because someone else wasn’t.

There is no threshold, but i am giving the women the benefit of the doubt to investigate. All of these should have been investigated when they happened, that doesn’t mean every conclusion is the same. Accusations need to be investigated, and that company didn’t seem to take any of it seriously nor were they even approachable to even report it. That has to change.

Just simple probability theory makes pretty unlike once you get to 3 accuser the guy is innocent. Even if woman and men are equally likely to lie the odds of 3 women independently lying are only in 1/8.

From recent personal experience, I learned that I man I respected greatly and more importantly all but one of the women who worked with him shower praise on, turned out to have behaved badly with women in the past. He then lied when asked about it and went out of his why to falsify records.

So Brokaw could be perfect gentlemen with all 60 women, but still behaved badly with his accuser.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/03/politics/tony-cardenas-denies-allegations/index.html

Cardenas, 55, the Democratic assistant whip who represents California’s 29th Congressional District, identified himself through an attorney as the subject of a complaint filed last Friday by Los Angeles attorney Lisa Bloom. The civil suit filed by Bloom, which due to a California law did not name the accuser or the alleged assailant, alleges that in 2007, an “elected politician” sexually battered and assaulted a 16-year-old girl.

LOL, so good, so bad. But Polanski sure teed up that joke for the whole world, didn’t he?

http://www.svenskaakademien.se/en/press/the-swedish-academy-postpones-the-2018-nobel-prize-in-literature

That Popehat joke should win an academy award.

Eric Schneiderman–the high profile NY AG–has been very credibly accused of physical abuse of women by four former girlfriends/partners.

That should end that career.

I wonder what that does for his push to investigate Trump.

As someone on twitter just pointed out “Yeah, where in New York will they ever find a young, ambitious Democratic lawyer looking to make a name for himself by investigating and prosecuting potential crimes committed by Donald Trump?”

I mean, I have to figure that the investigation continues under new ownership that hopefully doesn’t have a history of beating up women.