The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

Fun plot twist: Hillary Rodham Clinton becomes Attorney General of New York.

There’s no way a writer would even think to bring that up in the room though.

And yeah, the guy who seems almost too obvious to be the next NY AG is Preet Bharara, one of the US Attorneys (in the SDNY, in fact) fired by Trump in the first months of his administration.

And he has resigned; breaking news.

Spitzer was AG before he was Gov. Now Schneiderman. NY needs to get its act together.

That was about as fast from story breaks to resignation as anything I’ve ever seen.

But But…I like Stay Tuned With Preet. If he becomes AG, do you think he’ll keep doing his podcast?

Christ what a monster, Schneiderman’s behaviors are horrifying. Can’t imagine feeling trapped like that - "What do you do if your abuser is the top law-enforcement official in the state?”

In fan fiction land, Preet and Hillary are the popular choices on Reddit and Twitter to replace him. I combed through Preet’s twitter feed to see if anyone had asked him about it - they had - but he didn’t answer. But good god, some of the shit lords in one his threads: “Preet knew! Preet’s next!” But nothing takes the cake like Kellyanne Conway’s response. She’s reaching for a political advantage - unaware apparently of Rob Porter and her boss’s** - aka the abuser-in-chief - defense of Porter.

Luckily Dem’s took a 1 seat advantage in the NY House after the recent special election, although it looks like his term is up this year anyway. Whoever wins that race can springboard that position into national prominence.

(**That looks grammatically incorrect, but I googled it.)

Another story of abuse in Congress:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/congress--your-metoo-moment-is-now/2018/05/07/286eac10-48b1-11e8-8b5a-3b1697adcc2a_story.html?utm_term=.f974184cf9b6

As a 24-year-old in my first professional job, I mistook survival for complicity and suffering for weakness. I accommodated and rationalized to minimize and de-escalate. I made excuses, forgave and tried to forget. So this pattern continued, ingraining in my mind the role I played in my own abuse. For more than a year, I checked behind the shower curtain and locked my bedroom door every night.

Then, everything changed.

And McConnell continues to be evil:

It has been about three months since the House passed #MeToo legislation to reform how cases of harassment are handled on Capitol Hill. The bill would revise the 1995 Congressional Accountability Act, addressing hurdles that block victims from holding abusers accountable and shining needed light on secret settlements, among other provisions. But similar legislation sits idly in the Senate, with Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) unwilling to bring it to the floor for a vote. This is shameful and unconscionable.

Wow. That’s a lot of money. That’s state money too. Won’t help Detroit I fear.

It’s about 2% of the state of Michigan’s annual tax revenue. So not about to wipe out the budget by itself - but it’s still pretty amazing when you consider it’s all due to the actions of one person.

Well, Nassar and all the others who turned a blind eye or actively covered up for him. Sadly, it wouldn’t have gotten anywhere this big of others did what they should have done.

Presumably a good chunk of that will come from the insurance either the state or the university no doubt carries.

An accuser is calling Luc Besson a rapist:

Authorities in Paris are investigating a rape complaint against well-known French filmmaker Luc Besson, who has denied the allegations.

According to a judicial official who spoke to the Associated Press but was not authorized to be publicly identified, an unnamed 27-year-old woman filing a complaint Friday alleging that the 59-year-old director put something in her tea that left her unconscious. She accuses him of touching and penetrating her without her consent at the hotel Bristol in Paris.

My guess is everyone here knows who he is, but if not:

Besson has produced, written and directed nearly 100 films. His work includes the Taken series, The Fifth Element, Valerian and Leon (The Professional).

Not assault or rape, just standard Frenchiness!!

Jokes aside, I am both surprised and not surprised.

But don’t worry, you can still have sex with… (checks notes)… children.

You know as long as they’re cool with it. But don’t the real problem here is catcalling, hands off our child rape.

Fucking France.

Well it is one thing they are famous for…

You should probably recheck those notes.

Notes seem to check out.

In France it is and always has been illegal to have sex with minors. Until recently the charge was “sexual abuse” if there was no evidence of violence, and “rape” otherwise. After a couple of controversial court cases there has been a push to reclassify it as “rape” in all cases.