~The Game Pass Thread~

Yeah there are several games on that list that I haven’t seen before and may have potential. Unsighted looks interesting also.

Off the top, I’m super excited for:

• Sable. I liked the demo, in spite of its being mostly fetch-quests. The art is amazing, and the world and its characters are intriguing.

• Phoenix Point (finally!). I’ve been waiting on this to hit consoles for almost two years now. Crazy. Just this week I’m having to hold off buying the whole Xcom 2 collection for $20 (via Deals With Gold) so I don’t burn myself out on this genre. October 1st!

• Superlininal. This looks like a neat puzzle-filler.

• (honorable mention) Below Zero. Already played it on release. It was good. Subnautica was easily one of my favorite games of the last decade,and really, it’s MOTS, but that’s fine for me.

I’ll have to look into the rest.

It’s fantastic. Please give it a try for the low, low price of already paid for it. If nothing else, you can get a taste of the worldbuilding for when their rpg releases.

So glad this fantastic game will be brought to a wider audience.

There’s a thread full of hype so I’m kinda glad I resisted the urge to pick it up

Tainted Grail: Conquest, Wyrdness galore

My other big happy moment is seeing that the Astria Ascending now says Console + Cloud + PC - all the Tale of Arise talk has been making me hanker for a jRPG…

I don’t regret picking it up at all (I wasn’t a Kickstarter backer or anything). I’m happy there have will be seen by more people. Whether the money goes into more stuff for this game, into the rpg, or even a different project, that’s a great thing, imo.

Skate Bird seems like a lot of effort for a so-so joke. It’s a Tony Hawk clone but the physics/gameplay aren’t as good as those and feels a bit janky and while the bird is cute and you can customize it in fun ways the level graphics are kind of not great. Not as fun as it should be.

Hoping for better from I am Fish which I’ll check out this weekend.

Reinstalling windows didn’t fix the issue! I

At least a ‘soft’ reinstall, on top of my current Windows, didn’t work. I’m going to have to do a full format and reinstall windows. :/

edit: formatting also didn’t help! WTF!

Did you install the optional windows update? It may be far enough since then that it was already rolled into a normal update, let me look it up.

Edit: I think it’s this one?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/topic/june-11-2021-kb5004476-os-builds-19041-1055-19042-1055-and-19043-1055-out-of-band-e12f58c7-4ceb-4d24-adfb-b13820f4e86b

I couldn’t install games for a hot minute a couple months back and whatever optional update they released (I think it’s this one, but not 100% sure) fixed it.

More info:

Try turning off your router and turning it on again? That actually fixed an app issue on my Xbox after I reset my Xbox several times trying to fix it. To this day I have no idea why that worked (solution was on a website). Really nothing to lose trying that.

(sorry for spamming the thread with troubleshooting stuff)

Yes, I downloaded this
https://i.imgur.com/e6GlROr.png
as it didn’t appear in optional updates as they say. I rebooted after installing, and nothing.

Right now I’m in a loop between two errors. If I delete this from registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ GamingServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ GamingServices.Net
and restart Windows, the problem is fixed, the drives appear in Options:

https://i.imgur.com/nuntSHU.png

(before they also were missing in this panel, tha shows the default drive for installations)

However, then I have this ‘classic’ error when trying to download something, 0x0000001
https://i.imgur.com/UMTMn3G.png

If I try to fix it by executing this command, as recommended by MS

Get-AppxPackage gamingservices -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers

Then I return to the orginal problem of not seeing the drives. Lovely. At this point I think I found a real bug of the system.

Also, xbox subscription can’t be paused. But of course!

Heh, ironically a technician swapped my router just today, for something unrelated.
MS store is able to download stuff, btw. It’s just the xbox app.

I think I got something:

I think the key was to download the game before the Gaming Services is downloaded, as the screenshot shows. In fact as you can see, the xbox app isn’t able to properly show the download progress, I think because gaming services is still not ready.

I did these steps

after these ones didn’t work (even if like him, I could download Sea of Thieves but not other games)

The question is, will it break once the game is finished installed and the gaming services thing will launch?

The answer is yes, it installed itself so fast I couldn’t cancel it, and now the same has happened, “unknown available space”

But I can uninstall it again with the PS command and still will let me download another game. So I guess I has to take this as a win. I only hope some future game won’t need it.

So yeah, gaming services won’t work. If you want logs @LMN8R just say it.

I will agree with everyone here that the way MS is choosing to install these apps is insanity.

I was going to use PC Game Pass for Halo. Not going to touch this thing until it seems to work for everyone. There are just way too many horror stories about Game Pass on PC for me to even think about messing with it.

I mean if you’re already subscribed to Game Pass and you don’t pay for anything on the MS Store straight up, what’s the harm in trying it on Windows? If it breaks, it breaks, but functionally that’s the same situation you’re in right now, as in not able (through your own choice) to use it.

Well, you might lose the disk space for one.

Wasting my time is the number one harm if it fails to function properly. Also potential loss of disk space. PC registry repair. You name it.

I’m just flat out done with this kind of crap in 2021. I want to play videogames and compute without that kind of maintenance or even the risk of it. When I was in my 20’s, noodling with PCs was part of the game and it was “fun”. At almost 50? Fuck that.

If it’s any comfort, I have an alienware machine from Dell, like you. I’ve never had any issues with Game Pass for PC on this machine. (Only on my older machine).

Mm, yeah, lost disk space is bad!