~The Game Pass Thread~

It’s super charming! I wasn’t expecting it to be such a beautiful 3D platformer. Reminds me of It Takes Two’s surprisingly high production values.

Really enjoyed Tinykin with my son yesterday. Though he has way too much fun falling to his death or getting the character in water which makes him explode.

Also, I normally go nowhere near Early Access games, but hearing that Vampire Survivor is the most played game on Steam Deck does make me curious about it. It is on Game Pass, so I suppose I could check it out. But… it’s still in Early Access damn it.

This looks fun. Coming September 14.

Grid Legends is now available (through EA).

You Suck at Parking is coming in two weeks. I enjoyed the demo for it. Racing game with difficult braking. I fired up “Ben 10 Power Trip” last night and it seemed surprisingly decent for a kids game. Only played an hour, but I’ll be back. Also checked out “My Friend Peppa Pig” … that’s just for 5 year olds.

Hopefully we don’t have another 10 games leaving next week. I couldn’t come close to finishing Hades, and gave up on all the others too.

Check out Vampire Survivors. Don’t worry about EA - give it 5 minutes. The next 40 hours are the same haha. I’m surprised it’s the most played on Steam Deck. It didn’t perform very well from what I’ve seen.

Vampire Survivors is amazing and already a complete game. More content is added every couple of weeks. Well worth $3 and an exception to any no-EA policies.

Some people are more willing to put up with performance issues than you or I might be, I guess. (As I said in the Steam Deck thread, I find it unplayable on there in its current state, so I’m hoping the planned engine port improves the game’s Deck performance by quite a bit.)

Shut off the damage numbers. I’ve cleared all the achievements so I played a fair bit.

I’m willing to see if that works, but I have a feeling it’s not going to do much in the face of hyper mode with 280% curse (or more, on characters with eggs).

EDIT: Nope. Tanks to ~20fps in those conditions less than ten minutes into the run, even on a single-weapon run. If you’re interested in Vampire Survivors, play it on desktop or wait for the engine port.

Oh you meant on the steam deck. Okay.

Yeah, on desktop I have no issues. (I will note that I ran into performance issues at the end of runs on my old PC, and turning off damage numbers did nothing to help there, but YMMV.)

The devs are working on porting the game to a new engine, which should significantly improve performance on a wide range of hardware, but if you have a good enough PC for it right now, definitely give it a spin.

Kind of funny that it was the most played game on Steam Deck

Train Sim World 3 coming on Sept 6 - anyone played the prior versions and/or looking forward to this one? I have never played one of those so I don’t have a clear idea of what type of game it is. Sure looks good though.

I played the first one and liked it a lot. I never tried the second one because I wasn’t really sure what it brought to the table, but I may take the new one out for a spin, why not.

So do you spend your time driving trains, looking out the window? What is the gameplay loop?

Yes, that’s the gameplay loop. There are different routes you can take, and more available through DLC (along with different models of trains and engines). I imagine it caters to the enthusiast, since it looks and handles (to my not-very-knowledgeable eyes) very authentically. Kind of fun to take out a steam vs coal vs electric train to see how differently they all handle. Kind of calming.

I might be inclined to scoff at such a gameplay loop, but then I recalled how for 20 minutes I watched a Youtube livestream of a train traveling in Norway. Definitely calming!

So the Game Pass Friends & Family plan has officially launched - unfortunately, at the moment it is only available in Ireland and Colombia. The going rate is 21.99 euro in Ireland and 49,900 COP in Colombia. At the moment, the euro is very nearly 1:1 with the USD, so this seems like a pretty good deal - considering you can split that price among yourself and four friends and/or family members. We’ll see how long it takes to roll this out to other countries.

The problem is, the game is on rails.

Sorry, I’ll see myself out.

Why unfortunately? Game Pass costs $4/month in the real world, so the family plan would need to cost less than $20/month to be competitive.

Oh, you’re talking about the “loophole”. We don’t know what the conversion between the various Gold and Game Pass subscriptions will be, so I am only talking about the cost if you put money down. And the ‘unfortunately’ is in reference to the fact that, as I mentioned, this plan exists in only two countries at the moment. Neither of which I currently maintain residence in.