~The Game Pass Thread~

I have two, maybe three, XBLG codes lying about unused. Basically a year’s worth if you’re converting to Ultimate. Happy to pass them on @Editer!

Can anyone explain to me, as if I’m a 5 years old, what is the famous “loophole” ?

Until now, I have only ‘cheated’ in the standard boring way, in other words buying gamepass months codes on cheap key sites.

You sign up for 3 years of Xbox Live Gold then convert that to Game Pass Unlimited for $1.

Yep, as stusser said, but it will only work that way if you’re not currently subscribed to Game Pass - otherwise adding Xbox Gold time to your account will be automatically converted to Game Pass Ultimate at a lower rate (e.g. 1 year of Gold will be added as 4 months of GPU while you are subscribed to GPU). When you subscribe to Game Pass, the remaining Gold time on your account is converted to GPU at 1:1. The most Gold you can add to your account is 3 years, and you should be able to get cheap Gold codes from the same sites you already visit.

Ahh , so the trick is to not extend the subscription to wait until it ends, cancel, and then subscribe again.

Right, you can’t convert 1:1 if you’re a current GP subscriber.

Alternatively, there are extremely cheap deals on XBLG codes on various grey-market keyshops. 3 months of XBLG converts to 50 days of GPU for an existing subscription. Depending on pricing, this can be even cheaper yet.

Pricing isn’t great right now, but for example, one keyshop has a 3 month XBLG code for $9.87, after conversion that comes to $6.12/month of GPU, which is a 60% discount off the $15 MSRP.

For anyone who liked “Her Story” on Steam, They have a new game out on Gamepass right now called "Immortality. I’m maybe 1/3 of the way in, and its very cool. I think I like the interface better then the first game, but it is definitely easier, and yet has much better production values and I think stories… I know a couple of people mentioned it earlier up thread but I just got round to checking it out last night…

Check it out =)

There’s a thread for it.

Telling Lies by the same creator is also on Game Pass, if you want to go for the trifecta.

Thanks to both of you… will check the thread, and the “Jan” of Sam’s FMV games.

Her Story is on GP too. I just finished it over the weekend. It was pretty cool.

I saw a playthrough of I am Fish. It is a cute adventure game but it may be a touch difficult.

Wouldn’t be the cheapest option to use the deals on XBLG codes but don’t use them until you GP sub is over?

Yes, then you can convert 1:1.

Generally speaking, getting XBLG for under $50/year ($12.50 per 3 month code) is a good deal. $50/year is the standard deal, and $60/year is MSRP.

I did it a few days back.

I had let my PC Game Pass subscription lapse, then stocked up my account with 3 years of XBLG.

When I went to convert to Ultimate 1:1, I was offered the $1 deal price but on clicking through the conversion the price changed from $1 to a full month’s price. But I had used a $1 Ultimate trial in the past, maybe that’s why.

Yes, that’s why.

I’m not sure if the game rental comparison is right on, but it kind of works.

That does remind me I need to check out Tunic sometime. I was way too busy with Elden Ring when Tunic originally came out.

I think it went off a while back, but it regularly goes on sale.

Nah, Telling Lies is still on there. At least it was last night, because I installed it then.

Ha, I’d forgotten all about people renting (and promptly pirating) PC games ca. 30 years ago.

Then there was buying them used from some rando and/or EB (later). :-) I had pretty good luck with that almost always, on Gone Gold, Octopus Overlords and such.