The General Magic the Gathering Thread

Quite a lot of sideboard aggro/control hate in this core set. Seems like they want mid-range to have a day.

As a player whose preferred style is midrange, this makes me very happy. Angels for the win!

It gets worse. ;)

Sweet! With this and baby Teferi, I’ll be casting Kaya’s Wrath at instant speed every game.

Unless I, too, have a T3f3ri. Bwa-ha-ha, it’s Esper Midrange!

The current Mythic Championship is a lot of fun so far. This is the first one I’ve really been able to watch. Matches are fast and quite a bit easier to follow than paper.

What I’ve learned so far: always send Search For Azcanta back to the deck with big Teferi.

With the exception of when someone gets into the Nexus looping, it’s great. But that card, what a fiasco in terms of spectator enjoyment. From what I’ve heard, it never saw the eyes of the “new” Play Design team because it was the Buy-a-Box Promo. I don’t think it would have passed muster if they’d been able to vet it.

Currently, Kai Budde vs Shota Yasooka Esper Hero v Esper Control. Could go long!

That was an amazing match. I like John Rolfe but wasn’t surprised to see him lose in the next match.

Yep, terrific match. Budde’s still got the chops for an old man.

Chops, yes. And that Command the Dreadhorde and Elderspell top deck sequence didn’t hurt, either.

Yeah, the final match was just topdeck luck…clutch Elderspell was clutch.

Looking forward to Kai’s Esper Hero vs Izzet Phoenix (my favorite deck and the one I play most, incidentally) is exciting.

Ok this one was definitely showing off Budde’s experience and skill. He handled things like a champ. Maybe the Phoenix deck isn’t the best matchup for Hero, but even so Budde made it look easy. The going down to 1 twice takes balls of steel, even if you know you’ve got those Elite Guardmages coming.

Well, the French player got some unfortunate draws and had some rather interesting choices of deck constructions. Finale of Promise should be an auto-include 4-of, and drawing one of those would’ve put him in a much better position to win that one.

Honestly, if you’re not gonna have a live audience, lose the spark fountains. It looks really weird.

Ugh. Nexus. It was played perfectly, but F that noise. Lee put us all out of our miseries when he conceded.

And yes, the firework fountains are so bizarre without anyone there cheering, too. I don’t understand why they don’t allow a live audience.

Wilderness Reclamation was the real mistake. Nexus without Rec isn’t nearly as scary.

As interesting as the story is for an Arena Mythic Qualifying Tournament winner to do so well, I hope Shahar destroys him handily tomorrow. Mono Red may be for jerks*, but at least it doesn’t feel degenerate like the Nexus / Wilderness Reclamation combo.

* Sometimes I play mono Red.

And I’m exactly the opposite. The real degenerate deck is mono-red. Sadly, I don’t think Simic Nexus has a chance. He’ll be dead before he can get set up.

(also, he’s the only Mythic invitee in the Top 4, so he’s the People’s representative instead of the other ringers).