The General Magic the Gathering Thread

I pulled one of the new tricycle lands, oh man are these amazing.

$10-15 already, which is a bummer - the fact that they are basic land types is of course why, but not what I like about them (which is, in order, a) the art and then b) the color combinations on one land and c) the cycling for late game ditching). So cool, though.

I lied. This is my new favorite card. Don’t let it live for more than a turn…so much value.

Seen on the LR discord:

I have not seen Colossification played yet myself, but that does look like a beating.

Major ban announcements in the morning. Companions being eratta’d as well.

My guess: Fires is gone.

Companions are the dumbest shit since planeswalkers.

As a mostly Control player, I’d have no problem with companions if they were hand hate-able. The problem is they live in the companion zone and are therefore untouchable until they come into play. Make them be a 7th card and have to discard one of your opening cards to get into your hand and most of their power goes away.

'Course that’ll make them largely unplayable, but so be it.

IDGAF about constructed. Companions are an absolute “fuck you” to limited players.

Here it is. Very glad to see Agent of Treachery banned, I was afraid that they’d overlook it as they have done in the past. “It’s not agent, it’s the ramp! It’s not agent, it’s the combo!” Yeah, it’s Agent, and has been for a while.

So the bannings/rules change came this morning. I don’t really play Limited as often as I’d like, and I avoid constructed like it’s COVID-19, so I don’t know if this will make Companion less broken, but I suspect it will help. General consensus on the usual places I haunt for MtG info/feedback is this kills Companions as a mechanic.

Once per game, any time you could cast a sorcery (during your main phase when the stack is empty), you can pay 3 generic mana to put your companion from your sideboard into your hand. This is a special action, not an activated ability. It happens immediately and can’t be responded to. It can’t be countered or stopped by cards like Phyrexian Revoker.

In addition, @charmtrap called it, Fires of Invention (as well as the Agent of Treachery) is banned in Standard and suspended in Historic.

I don’t imagine any Companions are playable in Standard anymore. I guess maybe some long-game Yorion decks can still make it work. Obosh and Lurrus are dead as a doornail…taking a whole turn off while adding nothing to the board is deadly for those decks.

Yep, likely the case. Still playable in limited, though you will probably see more of them in maindeck now.

Well, this should be interesting. I can already hear the ‘ban T4feri’ threads being composed.

He’d be “Te4i,” wouldn’t he?

I guess that makes sense…or you could spell it out, even: Tefouri.

This here is purty.

That’s this one:

As always, Planeswalkers are the dumbest thing to happen to Magic since Fallen Empires.

Me and my pod love ‘em.

Flavor-wise, I love planeswalkers. Mechanics-wise, I hate them. Way too hard to remove, particularly if they hit the battlefield early. Though hopefully this helps a bit:

Even better:

Nice! Between that and Questing Beast, I think WotC knows that low cost Planeswalkers need some hate.