The General Magic the Gathering Thread

Well, it was certainly a bafflingly bad keep. I can’t imagine what he was thinking.

I mean, I keep that hand in the Play queue, but with $200,000 on the line?

Only $150k, actually. First place got $300K, second $150K, and third $100K.

Pretty good day for PVDDR, Marcio, and Seth.

OK, for some reason I thought 2nd got $100k.

Either way, a lot of money to bet on the shuffler being kind to you.

Lady takes husband’s ratty old collection of Magic cards to the Antiques Roadshow, finds out they’re worth a bundle.

WOTC is getting ready to start the Ikoria reveals:

With basically no in-person play happening, it’ll be interesting to see what happens to the new set sales. People will play online, obviously. And the folks who generally buy a box of each set probably still will, just later. But whatever sales happen as a result of pre-release events, booster drafts, random walk-ins at the gaming store, and so on…are those just gone?

I missed this, anything interesting revealed?

[EDIT] Oh, wait, it’s tomorrow!

Paper release is being delayed.

That just makes sense. Going ahead and allowing online retailers to ship it, but LGSes to not be able to offer the pre-release weekend festivities would have been the final nail in the coffin for LGSes already struggling with being forced to close due to COVID-19.

True, so the question is probably more what this does to the release schedule going forward. It would not surprise me at all to see that May 15 date pushed back further. Will they delay future set releases, or trim off a bunch of weeks that normally would sell Ikoria?

Here’s the Ikoria trailer:

With actual Godzilla.

Apparently they did a deal with Toho to use Godzilla properties on alt-art versions of Magic-universe giant monsters.

Mutate is such a wild fucking ability.

There is a great video that explains it:

Basically, you can play the creature like normal, or you can play it for it’s mutate ability and put it on top OR on bottom of a target non-human. If you put it on top, the existing creature mutates into the one you cast, gaining it’s abilities and base power/toughness. If you put it on bottom, it keeps it’s original name and power/toughness, but still gains all abilities.

So this thing is a 6/6 flying trample, so you can “enchant” or mutate something so it gains flying/trample (no matter what) and if it’s smaller than 6/6, it will become 6/6.

The best part is each time you do this, ALL “if this creature mutates” abilities trigger, so this particular thing is fetching random permanents to dump onto the table (or in your hand, optionally). This happens when you first play it, and each time the pile of cards gains another mutate card (you can get some really big, monstrous stacks of mutates I imagine, but I also imagine a single Terminate would ruin your day). I don’t know how this will play out, but it’s a cool idea. I also don’t know if I’d want to put a lot of mutate cards in my normal decks, but I might see myself trying to build a mutate deck. I wonder if there will be a mutate commander pre-con? That might be worth looking into.

LOL, Wizards, what are you doing?

Apparently Wizards saw the future.

So we have a bit of a first here, a card got banned in the Commander format before the set even drops!

Now, the reason it was banned is fairly straight-foward; due to it’s Companion requirement, it would literally fit into any Commander deck running Blue/Red and just be an extra spell sitting in (effectively) your starting hand waiting for you to play it. So that does make sense, you’d just have this card in every single game where someone plays Red/Blue, no reason not to.

I asked if this could be part of the 99, not a Companion but just a card in the deck, and here is the response I got… and my reply! :slight_smile:

Indeed, but old cards are way cooler.

I think I stopped playing before those. What is this Companion thing? An extra card you have sitting outside the deck?

That’s new for Ikoria. It’s described in the rules update for the new set.

Dimir Flash is going to be annoying people for awhile, and I am so down with it.

Man, fuck that shark (great flavor text, though). That’s going to be so awful in limited. You can’t play around it at rare, but people are going to over-pick the shit out of it and then die looking for the counter-a-creature blowout while they lose the board.

Aagh.

Gyruda appears to be a beast in the early meta. I have to admit I’m tempted to spend some wildcards. He looks fun.

My favorite card so far is Eerie Ultimatum in a Doom deck. Dumping a half-dozen enchantments on the board usually gets a scoop.