The GOP is still morally corrupt, even if Discourse breaks

No, he is correct. We must end the silliness!

catbusiness

This man fought for the country that destroyed the world of his ancestors and treats him as a second-class citizen. WTF is wrong with these kids? WTF is wrong with their parents?

Theyā€™re pieces of shit.

I donā€™t even understand why they are harassing people for the idigenous peopleā€™s March. It just seems random to be there for the anti-abortion March, and then to go after an unrelated group

I donā€™t understand why the KKK only used one minority in their ad. WTF. Why do all the background actors have to be white kids? At least it looks like they used an actual Native American to portray the marcher.

Hey look at all those awful people just waiting to die off, in around 70 or 80 years.

The idea that this group will ever die off is a myth. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a new Spencer in there somewhere.

BTW, Covington is (and our southern Ohio folks can verify if Iā€™m incorrect) a Kentucky suburb of Cincinnati, just across the Ohio River. Itā€™s a well-to-do suburb, and actually votes pretty progressively. The Democratic mayor of the city has apologized, the diocese has apologized, and the school raised the possibility of expulsions.

Yeah, I was impressed with the schoolā€™s apology.

Was it the school or the diocese which organized bussing high school kids to DC for an anti-abortion march? Who organized the chaperones?

Iā€™m sure it was both. And apparently one of the priests chaperoning retweets some, uh, interesting social media accounts that make yesterdayā€™s idiocy seem very much like something that was possible to happen.

The city of Covington actually has nothing to do with this, and itā€™s a shame the mayor had to apologize publically because the media couldnā€™t be bothered to do their homework. Despite the school being ā€œCovington Catholicā€, itā€™s actually located in Park Hills, which is a wealthy suburb that lies outside the Covington municipal area and is itā€™s own entity within Kenton County Kentucky with itā€™s own mayor (who has been silent), police and fire department. The boys that attend CovCath are predominately white and from middle class families. Tuition is either $9,150 or $9,950 per school year (you pay the lesser amount if youā€™re in the district), and there are additional expenses associated with attendance that increase that by another $1K easily. In other words, this is a school for boys from households where the parents are likely well educated professionals.

Park Hills is a bastion of Mitch McConnell and the GOP. Middle class white families who vote GOP because ā€œabortionā€, ā€œSCOTUSā€, ā€œher emailsā€ and ā€œgot mine, so fuck youā€. This is not at all uncommon in the private Catholic School system in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky. It does not surprise me in the least that boys from this background would show such disrespect for something like the Native American march, as they are self-absorbed little twats.

What surprises me about the whole thing is that at no point during the lengthy video does ONE single adult come forward to put an end to it. Where the fuck were the chaperones? Where were the school officials who accompany the boys on such a trip? While I look forward to the kids featured prominently in the video being publically shamed and punished, what I really want to see is the adults who were with them brought forward, asked what the fuck they were thinking/doing during all this, and facing some consequences of their own for allowing it all to go down.

[quote=ā€œSlainteMhath, post:96, topic:139526, full:trueā€]stuff
[/quote]

Thanks. That definitely adds some granular perspective on things!

And yes, the chaperones who either didnā€™t step in, or worse, egged things on and possibly encouraged this was one of the most distressing things about that video. Especially if, as has been suggested, at least one was a priest. I missed that day in catechism class I guess.

100%.

Donā€™t be. The private Catholic schools in this area are very well versed in the art of the apology. This is literally the fourth incident in the past year in which a local Catholic school (4 different schools no less) has had to apologize for the behavior of some of their students, although this is by far the incident that has received the most national attention.

I donā€™t want to trash the entire private Catholic school system, as there are plenty of really good people who send their kids to, teach within, volunteer for or otherwise support these schools (myself included, as my kids are products of these schools), and I am sure they are all just as disgusted and appalled as I am at the behavior of these idiot kids. That said though, these incidents are indicative of the greater issue within the white middle class (and especially the religious white middle class), which is an insulated sense of privilege that leads to a distinct lack of empathy. This makes it much easier for the parents to support the GOP and Trump, while leaving their children with zero understanding of or sympathy for the problems of others. The irony is that these schools supposedly mix the teachings of Catholicism into their curriculum, including things like mission trips, community service, etcā€¦and yet the message is LOST on many of the kids who attend the schools, mainly because itā€™s not being reinforced when they go home at night.

Donā€™t forget the Catholic elementary and high schools that helped hide child abusers, like the ones I attended. The whole system can rot in hell for eternity for all I care.

We neednā€™t just hang it on the Catholics. Yesterday on twitter for most of the day a hashtag about Christian schools was trending, with people sharing horror stories about all kinds of parochial schools. Hereā€™s mine:

I went to a school run side-by-side with a Missouri Synod Lutheran church from 2nd through 8th grade (the highest grade taught there.) And to be fair, the education in reading, art, science, math and history was very good and when I went to public school for 9th grade, I was in great shape educationally. It was a church that my great-great-great grandfather had built; my dad was an elder in the church until his sudden passing in my early childhood, and mom had been church secretary (not school secretary) there for a while. All three of my older brothers went there.

But my god. I saw a teacher throw a student down a flight of steps. It apparently happened multiple times. I saw a teacher rear back and smack a student in the side of the head ā€“ a large, male teacher did this ā€“ so hard that it raised a bruise.

And then there was catechism/confirmation class in 8th grade, on the morning of Tuesday, December 9th, 1980. This class was taught by one of the pastors, an old guy who seemed like he kind of wished Lutherans had their own Jesuit wing. And he began class that day, I guess tired of hearing us buzz around in the hallway beforehand about events of the previous night. And so he intoned ā€œIf any of you children are feeling sad or upset about that man killed last night, donā€™t. He was ungodly and a communist and a sinner. Itā€™s good that heā€™s gone.ā€

He was, of course, referring to John Lennon.

And when I duly told my mother ā€“ who had the sunny disposition of June Cleaver ā€“ about this, it took a few hours of begging and pleading (by me) to keep her from going into class the next day (selfishly, I didnā€™t want to be embarrassed in front of class; in retrospect, I shouldā€™ve let her have at it) and reading this pastor the riot act. Mom was awesome. I canā€™t remember seeing her that mad before. If I didnā€™t only have a final semester left at that school, Iā€™d have been gone, Iā€™m sure.

We (she especially, I was already looking for excuses to not go) were also gone from that particular church by the new year.

Racist kid product of racist parents, news at 11.