The Great Like Experiment of 2017

Most of your post, particularly this part, actually really swayed me. I thought “likes” were pretty cool, but even as I was reading this I recognized several times where I was actually checking to see if anyone liked my posts. I’d rather not know, heh. :)

@tomchick that was a well written and thoughtful answer. Though I may not agree with everything you wrote, I respect your decision and the way you considered it. And while I thought likes were neat, I don’t have any strong attachment to them. I certainly didn’t want any type of leaderboard stuff.

So thank you for doing this, and thank you for the well written response.

You’re crazy for not liking avatars and gifs though. But everyone has something they go all ‘old man yells at clouds’ over, that’s just yours ;)

Probably the one thing that Tom said that I am forced to agree with, is that the likes inspire a certain kind of post. That is, the kind of empty joke post.

I mean, we do these anyway, but likes do certainly encourage them, and they aren’t super valuable (although I guess they’re fun).

Well sure, perhaps. I dunno, I don’t really care about getting likes, actually preferring to give them. So I never mugged for the camera, so to speak. Any time I made an empty joke post, it was a genuine empty joke post.

Often because people were getting way too heated in the debate in this thread.

Basically Wumpus you go to your corner, Malkav go to yours, and Brian and I are going to give a comic relief section so nobody kills eachother. Because I have enough stress in my life, and I was going to share my thoughts but, holy crap guys, this thread is on fire.

Fuck you.

(In the spirit of YGG, of course.)

While I feel as though likes do foster uniformity I am certainly not against increasing empathy.

Perhaps the real opportunity here wumpus is brainstorming innovative ways of increasing empathy that doesn’t rely on likes?

After all, like I’ve said before and is easily demonstrable, likes/rt’s etc absolutely are having an effect on the behavior of teenagers, including how they dress, what they do in their spare time ext.

I am all for making Qt3 and all other forums places both of greater inclusivity and empathy. Not to bring The Other Forum in to it but checking up on it recently it seems like many of the women over there were driven underground/post less/left forum over sensitivity issues still. Even in a forum explicitly created to shield vulnerable people it still wasn’t enough. What are th dynamics of this problem? Should we think about higher level issues? Does increasing diversity make communication more or less constrained, or the bounds of acceptable communication narrower, and how can forum software play a part here, etc? I think it’s an interesting problem because I’m not convinced there’s a programmatic solution to this issues yet.

I post random things. I cant be helped.

The posting of this video has been triggered by the mention of care bear sentiments.

Video: Destiny player attacked by pack of savages that love love.

Never change Teiman, never change.

I mean it, you’re a forum treasure.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Heres another game that fuel positive thinking on the internet:

Is also secretly a showcase of awesome technology that hopefully would one day be weaponized to murder hordes of aliens.

all of you

11 posts were split to a new topic: Is scrolling up the same as pressing the back button?

People mindlessly liking and retweeting social media got the US where it is today. I directly am blaming likes for the election of Donald J Trump.

You should believe me because I have created some of the internets most popular e-destinations. I thought up the existence of twitter in a fever dream as a child, a decade before it launched. I also am the previously heretofore unknown Winklevoss triplet.

Trust me, I am an expert.

https://slm-assets0.secondlife.com/assets/9466679/original/looney.gif

I came here to see Tom’s response. I see that I arrived in time to see the pitchforks come out again and accusations of people speaking against the majority once again went flying. Oh No’s. I’m a minority. Whatever will I do!?

Seriously though, I’m sorry this had a negative impact on some. With something like this, someone was always going to walk away less happy with whatever Tom’s decision was going to be. We all knew that.

Yes, that’s why the experiment was a bad idea in the first place.

Hear hear.

I kind of agree with you. Which is why I warned about loss aversion many moons ago. I’m not really sure why we had this experiment. Which, as I said, wasn’t much an experiment at all from an experimental design perspective. I honestly would be curious to know why Tom even went for it. To satisfy wumpus, who seems happy that it took place, albeit displeased with the final decision? Curiosity? To show everyone the ills of likes?

That’s the problem with not sharing your hypotheses and variables of interest before you run an experiment.

You would need to ask him, I certainly wasn’t in favor of the experiment!